Latest post Fri, Nov 6 2015 8:17 PM by knejmann. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 5 2015 3:20 PM

file>open>bin Why is this not recommended?

I have heard many times that we should not be using file>open>bin in an Interplay Environment.  My question is why?

I have some editors that use it, and I always freak out on them, but Im not sure why?

Thanks for the Input.

David

• Fri, Nov 6 2015 6:23 PM In reply to

Re: file>open>bin Why is this not recommended?

Not sure of the implication in an interplay environment but the main issue is you are accessing a bin outside your project structure. Changes you make to that bin will overwrite the bin when you save.

That bin could be another editors bin.

I would expect in interplay the normal bin protection would apply but maybe not...

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, Nov 6 2015 8:17 PM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 179
    • Points 1,930

Re: file>open>bin Why is this not recommended?

Another problem with "open bin" in an Interplay environment is about deleting projects.

In our setup bins are automatically checked in when you close them. So when you close the bin you've opened from another project, every clip and sequence in that bin will be checked in to the project you're working in now.

So if you're editing season two of a series and open a bin from season one with the master sequence of an episode, that will check every master clips into your project - that may be tens of hours even if you're actually only reusing a few seconds of a single clip. Not a problem as such - until the server is low on space and we're ready to delete (or move) season 1, cause now a lot of footage is also linked to the project in season two. And suddenly cleaning up has become a lot less effective or a lot more manual and risky.

Hope this explanation makes sense :-)

-Kåre

Media Composer 8.2.11 (some with Symphony option) - Windows 7 - HP Z420/Z820 (Nitris DX), Lenovo W540 etc. - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist... [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller