Latest post Wed, Apr 20 2016 4:34 AM by AndrewAction. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Oct 10 2015 11:50 PM

• Mike Harper
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 23 2014
    • United States
    • Posts 22
    • Points 300

Avid and Fusion integration tutorial

Hi everyone:

I am hosting a free live webinar over at moviola on Avid and Blackmagic Fusion integration on  October27th

http://moviola.com/webinars/exploring-media-composer-and-fusion-integration/

Hope to see you there!

Mike Harper

www.EditScore.TV

TV CUES: Music for Editors

Avid-Fusion lesson

• Sun, Oct 11 2015 12:44 AM In reply to

Re: Avid and Fusion integration tutorial

Are you going to talk about Edit Connection? Whether it is only available to Fusion Studio? And or with the DNxIO hardware Dongle? (Why am I asking?  See this video tutorial on the integration of Fusion (not Fusion Studio restricted  or hardware restricted) with Lightworks here)

How to use Edit Connection with Fusion by manually opening the composition? (only workaround unless you buy Fusion Studio)

Thanks

Andrew

• Sun, Oct 11 2015 2:14 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,430
    • Points 41,355

AndrewAction:

Are you going to talk about Edit Connection? Whether it is only available to Fusion Studio? And or with the DNxIO hardware Dongle? (Why am I asking?  See this video tutorial on the integration of Fusion (not Fusion Studio restricted  or hardware restricted) with Lightworks here)

How to use Edit Connection with Fusion by manually opening the composition? (only workaround unless you buy Fusion Studio)

Thanks

Andrew

Wow! That Lightworks demo almost had the feel of either a hoax or a product demo released before it was supposed to be.

It does muddy the water quite a lot more that it already is.  I wonder what the folks at Blackmagic have to say?

Thanks for sharing.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Oct 11 2015 11:20 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,387
    • Points 97,025

jef:
    Wow! That Lightworks demo almost had the feel of either a hoax or a product demo released before it was supposed to be.
    In what way, jef?  It's a brief overview of the use of Fusion as a plug in on Lightworks.  It didn't deal with issues like node-based compositing, because Lightworks already has that.  That's explained in depth elsewhere in the Lightworks tutorials.  It also didn't go into the available Fusion tools in any great depth, but I guess that a reasonable assumption would be that you'd want to check out the BM website for that.

For what it's worth, I've been using Fusion with Lightworks since LW12/F7.  It's a powerful combination, but not a new feature of LW12.5 or of F8.  Because of that history surely Blackmagic already know that Fusion can be integrated with Lightworks, if that's your concern.  What will be interesting is if/when BM integrate Fusion and Resolve what they will then do with third party NLE support.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 12 2015 1:31 AM In reply to

jwrl:
    I've been using Fusion with Lightworks since LW12/F7.
    And Fusion, through the Edit Connection AVX plugin has worked seemlessly with Avid for years (predominatly, in the early days, with DS)

IMO a crying shame that apparently the only deal Avid could make with BM for Edit Connection was one that saddled it with an expensive IO hardware dongle. Hardware that is in fact rarely required in todays file based media environment. 

• Mon, Oct 12 2015 2:33 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,430
    • Points 41,355

jwrl:

jef:
    In what way, jef?  It's a brief overview of the use of Fusion as a plug in on Lightworks.  It didn't deal with issues like node-based compositing, because Lightworks already has that.  That's explained in depth elsewhere in the Lightworks tutorials.  It also didn't go into the available Fusion tools in any great depth, but I guess that a reasonable assumption would be that you'd want to check out the BM website for that.

For what it's worth, I've been using Fusion with Lightworks since LW12/F7.  It's a powerful combination, but not a new feature of LW12.5 or of F8.  Because of that history surely Blackmagic already know that Fusion can be integrated with Lightworks, if that's your concern.  What will be interesting is if/when BM integrate Fusion and Resolve what they will then do with third party NLE support.

My surprise was based on the issues of getting a clear roadmap on Connection from either BM or Avid.  To see it seemingly working in Lightworks currently was just not expected at all.  I would have expected some PR on this tool.  But having it pop up in passing in a forum made me skeptical.

To paraphrase something Winston Churchill was supposed to have said, we know that the tool is possible.  Now we are just quibbling over the price.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Sat, Oct 31 2015 3:15 AM In reply to

• Mike Harper
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 23 2014
    • United States
    • Posts 22
    • Points 300

Andrew  BM connection works with MC software and exports the clips as a .Raw sequence. Also the free version just requires an extra step of manually launching the comp otherwise it works well, it doesnt have network rendering however.

Mike Harper

www.EditScore.TV

TV CUES: Music for Editors

Avid-Fusion lesson

• Sat, Oct 31 2015 4:31 AM In reply to

Hi Mike, We appear to have different ideas on "works with MC software" Long before BM brought Fusion "Connection" worked Avid (both DS and MC) The Connection AVX launched Fusion from the MC timeline (like Avid FX on steroids) you could play the effect from your timeline. It rendered out Avid media in your Avid Media files folder. (A simple example of what was achievable would be using (editing) a simple text file (with) your lower third details to update your timeline.) Having that sort of power seamlessly available with MC "defines works with MC" to me.

It still works that way with Fusion Studio ($1000 approx) and in theory it now works that way if you buy and have a multi thousand dollar Avid /BM IO dongle connected to your MC.  It works that way with Fusion Free if you switch to Lightworks Pro.

"requires an extra step of manually launching the comp" and "exports the clips as a .Raw sequence."   to me means Fusion works. MC works. You can muddle a workflow between them that is slightly more efficiently than using a AAF round trip to AE but IMO that could scarcely be described as "works well" 

Avid's own sales blurb states that "Connection" adds a $250 value to the Artist IO. It seems to me that it must have cost them a pretty penny to code into the MC or the Connection AVX that Fusion (free) wont work seamlessly unless a powered up Artist IO is Connected.

Fusion offers many of the tools Avid is rather poor at (Pan and Zoom, Titling, Blending, Tracking, Keying, Stabilising ........  The inability of Avid and BM to negotiate a deal for a seamless Connection AVX either free or at a commercial price indicates very blinkered vision. (at best.)  And that is without starting to delve into the possibilities for "Avid Everywhere" by offering seamless VFX workflows back and forth between Editors and Compositors. 

• Sat, Oct 31 2015 3:59 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,430
    • Points 41,355

What Andrew said.

As one of many Avid DS refugees, I am watching how this plays out with great interest.  I would pay $250 to have the functionality of the original Connection plug in in a heartbeat.  I imagine the issue lies in who gets that money.  BM in my book as Fusion is the more valuable IP in this case and needs to be supported. 

I spend way to much time and energy roundtripping to After Effects, not to mention dealing with Adobe license issues. Having a viable option is worth money to me.  But if I have to do some of the same dances to use Fusion, I might as well stay with AE as I am comfortable there and have more people I can share projects with.

Fusion is still a scary tool for many.  People need a compelling reason to learn it.

Making the original Connection plugin available / affordable might help that.

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Sun, Nov 1 2015 1:38 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

jef:
    What Andrew said.

+1.

+more if we're voting Chicago style.

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 19 2016 1:39 AM In reply to

NOW Resolve 12.5 (see whats new here) has right click from either Edit or Color timeline into Fusion (at 50 seconds in linked video)and changes made at any time.  How on earth did the Avid negotiators let Edit Connection as an option for MC users slip through their fingers??????  

• Tue, Apr 19 2016 12:28 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

AndrewAction:
    How on earth did the Avid negotiators let Edit Connection as an option for MC users slip through their fingers??????

Resolve is starting to remind me of DS in some ways, but with better color (of course DS could have had a greater CC in it if Avid would have kept it and invested in development).  Oh yeah, Avid let DS slip away too.

Resolve performance as an editor is a problem and seems to be the thing that's holding it back.  

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Wed, Apr 20 2016 3:53 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

Do you guys know if Resolve 12.5 will connect to Fusion 8.0 (neither of these being the 'Studio' version)?

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Wed, Apr 20 2016 4:26 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

Let me answer my own question. Just downloaded and installed Resolve 12.5 beta 1 and Fusion 8.0 (both Free) and they integrate with round-tripping beautifully.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Wed, Apr 20 2016 4:34 AM In reply to

Sure does... only tried with the Resolve Studio and Fusion here so far.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller