Latest post Sat, May 6 2017 9:26 PM by tvnetzwerk. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 16 2015 4:22 AM

• Éric Simoneau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 14 2009
    • Victoriaville - Québec
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,620

improve playback performance

Any way to improve playback performance in avid? Any console tweak.. services to disable idk... 
    I'm mostly working with prosumers cams (dslrs) and i never EVER get to see a clear playback without INTENSE jitter (note here, intense was written in capital, theres no way i can see more than 1 or 2 sec of playback) 

Ive got the right gear. i think... win8.1 on a ssd drive, media sitting on 100mps drives, i7, gtx650ti, 16gb ram...  

ive been using avid since v4 now. i know everything about offlining and ama. 
    Today i just shot 4 clip on a GH4, 4 clips of 10 sec to try VLOG. Ama'ed the clips, threw that on a timeline, no playback... those clips plays mighty fine on VLC. hell i was so pissed i even downloaded premiere trial and it handled them like butter... 

Ive became so used to transcode everything over the years that i forgot how bad AMA actualy is. I just realised, typing this, that most of the time i edit with my video track disabled so i can hear the pacing of the timeline just with the video and go ''ah the still pictures look fine, the audio sounds great, its gonna be alright'' then re-disable video tracks.

its true thats what ive been doin for about 2 years now! 
    Id so like to stay within the Avid, i just like its media management, i love being able to create proxies on virtual drives (google drive) so i can edit from my laptop, home computer or work computer without even bothering about actualy moving media files... but im starting to realise that a change is becoming inevitable. 

so please, has anyone out there struggled to get playback working properly on regular end PCs with prosumer footage without having to revert to transcoding everything? 

please someone stop me from going to the dark side... toward adobe's product line =/ 

The closer you get to the deadline, the more chances things will start to fk up royaly. True story. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 16 2015 9:32 AM In reply to

• Tiger_XP
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 2 2007
    • Posts 460
    • Points 5,075

Re: improve playback performance

Éric Simoneau:

Ive got the right gear. i think... win8.1 on a ssd drive, media sitting on 100mps drives, i7, gtx650ti, 16gb ram...

please someone stop me from going to the dark side... toward adobe's product line =/ 

I am not the one to stop you from going to the other side and I downloaded the trial PP in the summer of 2012. I know the "butter" you speak of! I have been singing the "playback performace" song so long I think it was recorded on a 45rpm wax disc! I think I saw a copy in a juke box! Geeked Your media is sitting on 100mps drives and the GH4 won't play. My media sits on a 1462 write 1076 read RAID zero and GH4 won't play!

I have only seen the movie Catch 22 but did not cut it. This December I will enter that movie. If I leave my automatic purchase option off as it is now I will be locked in at 8.4.1 or what ever version there is in Dec. If I switch it back on and the "engine" that can playback "all" files is not on the horizon then the GH4 still won't play. I could not come close to the dialog from the movie:

"In oder to be grounded I've got to be crazy" "And I must be crazy to keep flying" "But if I ask to be grounded that means I'm not crazy anymore and I have to keep flying!"

OK, if anyone can use that phrase and place terms like editing, playback and won't playback in it that would be fun!

• Wed, Sep 16 2015 12:29 PM In reply to

• Éric Simoneau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Victoriaville - Québec
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,620

Starting to believe MC resolve around its media transcoder. 
    They should rename the software. Avid Media Transcoded Only.  

no offense to anyone. 

The closer you get to the deadline, the more chances things will start to fk up royaly. True story. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 16 2015 12:36 PM In reply to

• cuervo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2008
    • Santa Fe, NM
    • Posts 1,174
    • Points 15,595

I don't know much about a GH4, because I shoot on either a Sony F5 or FS700. But, with either of these cam formats (XAVC-I, RAW, ProRes 422) playback rates run in the neighborhood of 300-500mps. I use RAID 0 or SSD's on a Thunderbolt header, for all my media drives; and, playback is flawless in 1080P. I would say that 100mps is way too slow, partucularly if you're working in 4k. The other option is to dial the proxy bitrate down until you get smooth playback. The option to playback at proxy bitrates is available in v 8.4.

SYS1:ASUS Z97, Haswell 4.0GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, Quadro 4200 + GTX1070, Thunderbolt II -DNxIO-FSI CM171 ///SYS2:ASUS Maximus Extreme V, Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

M-Power Independent Video and Film Services, Sony PMW-F5--Sony FS700U--Canon 7d--Odyssey 7Q

• Wed, Sep 16 2015 1:08 PM In reply to

• Éric Simoneau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Victoriaville - Québec
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,620

well thats wrong see...

The GH4's codec runs at roughly 200Mbps (at max), you gotta divide that by 8 so you get the actual speed the files runs at. The GH4 then actualy write on its card at about 25-35MBps (see Mbps vs MBps)

Therefore rolling 1 clip in MC, just one that sits on a drive that can read up to 100MBps should playback MIGHTY FINE imo. 

Then XAVC-I, raw and prores are all INTRAFRAME codecs, see thats where you differ from the problem i have. you're not working with prosumer formats. Yes i can transcode the files to prores or dnxhd. it will play smooth. but thats what im actualy trying to avoid. Spending time transcoding.

2 weeks ago i received a client with .MOV shot in a 5DmkIII in raw converted to 2k h264 files (for transportation) he wanted to edit his stuff then bring TIFF sequences for onlining. He got into my office. i loaded the mov files then looked at him and said:

''oh ima have to transcode those in the back while we edit''

he says: ''why? those played just fine in premiere on my laptop on the set and when i got home i checked the rushes on Vegas on my PC, they worked great...''

Welcome to the avid world! i didn lose the client as i managed to ''distract'' him long enough looking at logs, shot list and its rough cut he did on vegas while some files were transcoded...

Unless its in a pro format, it seems to me that everything needs to be transcoded in order to playback just fine in the Avid nowadays while the rest of the competition jumped on the train and adapted to the new market of interframe compressed prosumer files.

Ok ok ok,  This subject has been brought up many many MANY times i know, im quite pissed that nothing changed over the years. things have actualy gone worst and it seems nothing is gonna change. 

• Thu, Sep 17 2015 2:10 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,610
    • Points 60,250

I agree - Avid does need to address this shortcoming - I hope it's on their roadmap. 

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.11 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 |... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Thu, Sep 17 2015 2:28 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,354
    • Points 16,655

I'm annoyed at Avid AMA playback too... BUT....

Everytime I do a "quickie" project in Premiere or Vegas, everything goes along swimmingly until I get to the final color corrections, audio mix and output... and man does it bog down.  That's the current tradeoff.

Transcode is annoying certainly, but in most cases, for me, it's still the quickest, most pleasant way to get a project in and out the door.

• Mon, Oct 5 2015 7:39 PM In reply to

• Vincent Gustin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Bruxelles, Belgium
    • Posts 18
    • Points 200

Avid are the worst edinting system from a few year in AMA when the media are not in I-frame codec ... and now, with a lot of media are coming in 50p (and more) and also in H264, for a TV project in 50i, it's horrible !

The problem are that the same média on the same hardware play smoothly with Adobe Premiere CC !

And all the codec that are coming works also simple than drag & drop !

MC 5.5 at TV office with Interplay on ISIS and multiple Sites / MC 6.5 on Z800 Mobile stations on ISIS 5000 / MC 7.xx on Laptop Mobile stations / EVS and... [view my complete system specs]

(sorry for my english)

• Mon, Oct 5 2015 9:45 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,610
    • Points 60,250

Vincent Gustin:

Avid are the worst edinting system from a few year in AMA when the media are not in I-frame codec ... and now, with a lot of media are coming in 50p (and more) and also in H264, for a TV project in 50i, it's horrible !

The problem are that the same média on the same hardware play smoothly with Adobe Premiere CC !

And all the codec that are coming works also simple than drag & drop !

Yes - there is no doubt in my mind that the PP playback engine is superior to Avid's - We keep our fingers crossed that Avid will improve theirs but it may not make financial sense to do so until they can rid themselves of their reliance on QT (and even then).

I'm assuming there is an ESL issue with 'Avid are the worst editing system from a few year in AMA...' - Avid is certainly not the worst editing system but they may be the worst at handling H264 and a few other notoriously difficult codecs, I couldn't say.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.11 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 |... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Mon, Oct 5 2015 10:49 PM In reply to

• Vincent Gustin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Bruxelles, Belgium
    • Posts 18
    • Points 200

BarkinMadd:

...- Avid is certainly not the worst editing system but they may be the worst at handling H264 and a few other notoriously difficult codecs, I couldn't say.

I Said : "when the media are not in" also ...

MC 5.5 at TV office with Interplay on ISIS and multiple Sites / MC 6.5 on Z800 Mobile stations on ISIS 5000 / MC 7.xx on Laptop Mobile stations / EVS and... [view my complete system specs]

(sorry for my english)

• Sat, May 6 2017 9:26 PM In reply to

One and a half years later.. in 2017! Editing on a 12 core Mac, SSD, 64 gigs RAM and GH4 4K Footage. And the h264 performance is still horrible.. SHAME ON YOU, AVID!
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller