Latest post Wed, Jul 8 2015 2:29 PM by Ken O'Shaughnessy. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 7 2015 1:55 PM

Using aliases for Airspeed Multistream or Airspeed 5000 \ 5500

Hi,

We have a combination of Airspeed Clasic, Airspeed Multistream and Airspeed 5500's in production. With our Airspeed classics, we exploit aliases in DNS to present user-friendly names to the users in Media Composer, such as "studio1", "studio2" etc, Common practice and works well.

However, with the Airspeed Multistreams and the Airspeed 5500's, this doesn't work for us and we'd like to know if there is a way to configure it such that it will work without renaming the hostnames themselves to "<hostname-1>", "<hostname-2>" etc..

I suspect this is complicated by the fact that there are two profiles (SD and HD) presented back to the user in MC, but I'm not sure. I suspect that there is a way of doing this, so if you could enlighten us, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Airspeed Multistream V1.8.8

Airspeed 5000 2.8

Media Composer 5.5.3.7

Interplay 2.3

ISIS 7000 V2.4 Interplay V2.3 Media Composer 4.0.5 \ MC 5.5.3.7 Airspeed Classic 2.7.9 Airspeed Multistream V1.8.8 Airspeed 5500 V2.8 Capture Manager... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 7 2015 8:02 PM In reply to

• robg
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Tewksbury, MA
    • Posts 494
    • Points 5,605
    • Avid Developer Moderator
      Avid Employee

Re: Using aliases for Airspeed Multistream or Airspeed 5000 \ 5500

Ken,

You said that using DNS aliases with the Airspeed Multistreams and the Airspeed 5500's doesn't work.

What is the failure mode? Do you get an error message? If so, what does it say?

- Rob

• Tue, Jul 7 2015 8:23 PM In reply to

Simplest solutions is to add the "fake" name to the host file on all clients.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Wed, Jul 8 2015 12:39 PM In reply to

Hi Jeroen,

Thanks you for the suggestion.

I have added the following into the hosts file of the client and the Airspeed Multiestreams themselves, but unfrotunately it has not worked.

<ip address of ams1>       <ams1 hostname>     <ams1 alias>

<ip address of ams2>       <ams2 hostname>     <ams2 alias>

I have the aliases in DNS also.

ISIS 7000 V2.4 Interplay V2.3 Media Composer 4.0.5 \ MC 5.5.3.7 Airspeed Classic 2.7.9 Airspeed Multistream V1.8.8 Airspeed 5500 V2.8 Capture Manager... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 8 2015 12:46 PM In reply to

Hi Ken,

Please remove the <ams1 hostname> and just leave the <ams1 alias> in the host file and check again.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, Jul 8 2015 12:55 PM In reply to

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your response.

My studiogroup is called "studioadminhd[2]"

When I do a Send to Playback, I am only presented with one profile "studioadminhd" (as opposed to "studioadminhd" AND "studioadminhd-HD" which is normal with AMS and AS5K). When I try to send a HD sequence (XDCAM-HD 50) to this "studioadminhd" profile, it completes an export and I get the following error meassage in my Transfer Status window...

"Error: ERROR[studioadminhd-1]: No Metadata ERROR[studioadminhd-2]: No Metadata"

Please note that both of my AMS's have all workspaces mounted. If I put the individual hostname of either AMS into the Transgfer settings, I get both "SD" and "-HD" profiles (e.g. "avidtv-ams1" and "avidtv-ams1-HD") and can successfulyy send to either individually.

When I try to send SD (MPEG 50) material to this "studioadminhd" profile, I get the following error message...

"The project type does not support playback device format for LongGOP [4074]. Unable to sedn to playback. Please check device configuration"

Ken

• Wed, Jul 8 2015 1:29 PM In reply to

Oh... your AMS and AS5K are in studio config and you have seperate SD/HD playout. I was thinking you were just trying to work around a hostname issue in the dns.

Let me check a bit on the studio setup (within interplay) as I have never setup a studio config myself.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, Jul 8 2015 2:29 PM In reply to

Hi Jeroen,

I tried the alias only in the hosts file and that didn't work.

I have studio pairs of both AMS's and AS5K's, but they're not mixed in those pairs. The same issue is prevalent for the AMS Studio pair and the AS5K Studio pair. For this thread, I'm dealing with the AMS Studio pair only.

Both of these AMS's will only receive HD sequences, (but the AS5K's will take both SD and HD)

To be honest, I've never seen this working anywhere else and others I have spoken to have said they have had to revert to setting the hostnames to <hostname-1> <hostname-2> etc and forget about the aliases to get it to work in a studio group.

Thanks

Ken

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller