Latest post Mon, Jun 8 2015 2:57 AM by AndrewAction. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 2 2015 8:26 AM

• Editosaurus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 11 2012
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 54
    • Points 615

Media Composer 7 and 8 crashing on start up

I have a 2014 MacPro and have tried to install both a MC7 and MC8 (at different times). MC7 opened fine the first time after clicking the "Trial" option. I then had to turn my computer off and Avid locked up and wouldn't quit, so had to force quit.

Since then whenever I press the "Trial" button MC crashes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled MC7 twice with the same result, I then tried MC8, same result. Crashes every time right after I press "Trial", the Avid window pops up, 5 seconds later, crash.

I can't imagine I am under-spec-ed. Has anyone else run into this issue?

2014 MacPro, 6 Core 3.5GHz Intel Xeon E5, 64Gb RAM. Dual AMD FirePro D700 Graphics. OSX 10.10.3 Avid MC 7.0.4.3 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Tue, Jun 2 2015 11:37 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,221
    • Points 15,360
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Media Composer 7 and 8 crashing on start up

Naaa, you're not under-spec-ed. I have the same MacPro.

So next bet would be to Spotlight the uninstaller and make sure you uninstall everything from both versions on MC. there's a good chance a remnant was left behind messing things up. Also make sure the Avid Application Manager is not on while doing so. (The icon in the taskbar that looks like a bellybutton.) Regardless, MC7 and MC8 both install some very different components so make sure you've cleared them all away before trying another install.

Next guess would be software. (Sorry if this sounds too elementary but here goes...) Make sure you check exact version environments for MC7 or MC8 - specifically the OS for whichever exact MC version. Here's the KB article: (Link).

Third guess would be a piece of hardware or an external drive that is tripping-up the process. So make sure everything is unattached to the MacPro and do a power cycle.

Once these simple steps are done, report back if the problem persists. We'll get you up and running.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Tue, Jun 2 2015 12:27 PM In reply to

• Editosaurus
    • Not Ranked
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 54
    • Points 615

Thanks for your reply Chris,

Unfortunately, when I go to uninstall MC8 it gives me the message

“Uninstall Media Composer.app” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should eject the disk image.

I then downloaded the disk image again from the Avid site and got the same message.

I'll try your other solutions, but not being able to uninstall seems like a pretty bad issue..

2014 MacPro, 6 Core 3.5GHz Intel Xeon E5, 64Gb RAM. Dual AMD FirePro D700 Graphics. OSX 10.10.3 Avid MC 7.0.4.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 2 2015 12:57 PM In reply to

• Editosaurus
    • Not Ranked
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 54
    • Points 615

I've tried your other suggestions also, no joy.

The exact versions are compatible and done a power cycle with nothing plugged in. As I say, I can't uninstall MC8 properly because the uninstaller is "damaged".

I'm really happy to have been working on premiere for the last 2 years. I only have a 4 week job using Avid. I wonder if it's even worth the hassle.

• Tue, Jun 2 2015 12:59 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,221
    • Points 15,360

Hmmm... I ran into this once. The web browser I was using (Safari) was intentionally corrupting my downloadable disc images. No idea why, but when I downloaded the same thing using both Firefox and Chrome, it worked fine. Try that next.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Tue, Jun 2 2015 2:04 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,221
    • Points 15,360

Also note - if you are under extreme deadline to get this up and running, for $40 US (click here) you can call an Avid support rep who will assign this a case and won't quit until you are fully up and running.

It's not ideal because it costs money. Things should just work. But in those odd times when they don't, then for essentially the price of a pair of jeans you can have someone inside Avid's walls helping you through the whole process without any restrictions. Not a bad deal.

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Sun, Jun 7 2015 7:59 AM In reply to

• Editosaurus
    • Not Ranked
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 54
    • Points 615

Thanks to everyone for your answers, although I have often found Avid lacking, the community is always very helpful and knowledgable.

I managed to solve the issue by updating my OS and finding the patch for the latest MC7. This seems obvious, but the patch, which is actually a full installer, was not where it should be on the Avid site in the download center, so it was only through looking through the compatibility page that I was prompted to look further for the extra update 7.0.4.3 and then updating the OS to 10.10.3 which the compatibility sheet did not say the MC was compatibile with.

So, a simple solution made near impossible, due to a poorly and inaccurately updated website. MC8 is still not uninstalling, even after downloading it 3 times on different browsers.

But thanks guys, I appreciate your help.

• Mon, Jun 8 2015 2:57 AM In reply to

In future from this page you can Open Media Composer Software scroll down to MC troubleshooting 101. In there you will find details for a complete uninstall of MC. Should solve uninstall issues.

Editosaurus:
    updating the OS to 10.10.3 which the compatibility sheet did not say the MC was compatibile with
    Apparently there are known issues with 10.10.3 which should be addressed in the next MC update. (10.10.2 working well here)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller