Latest post Mon, Apr 20 2015 5:32 PM by Éric Simoneau. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 20 2015 2:33 PM

• Éric Simoneau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 14 2009
    • Victoriaville - Québec
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,620

8.3 and a dslr multicam project!

Hi guys, 

so ive been given this DSLR multicam project, sadly, the cameramans were trigger happy. DSLR may (or not depending on the camera) already cut your file every 4g, i also have a bunch of manualy stopped videos to sync... annoying as hell job. 

but anyway, its done. every parts lined up perfectly to the audio recorded, then comes the grouping part.
    i'm used to group clips that dont actualy breaks every 2 min. when they dont, i dont mind having a 3cam show use 6-7 camera spot in the 9cam split view.. but this show wouldn work, i need to use the VERY OLD AND INNEFICIENT WAY, MAY I SAY IT LOUDLY ENOUGH FOR SOMEONE TO HEAR ME... multigroup technique 

Question is, havent used multigroup in a VERY long time, has avid improved the workflow for needs of multigrouping AT ALL?

and whats actualy the best way to handle multiple cuts sync? ne1 got a workflow on this?

The closer you get to the deadline, the more chances things will start to fk up royaly. True story. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 20 2015 3:50 PM In reply to

Re: 8.3 and a dslr multicam project!

This post from 2008 has gotten me through a few similar situations.  Essentially, you slice the syncmap any time the number of active cameras changes, and you end up making subclips for each period of time between button-pushes.

https://viewfromthecuttingroomfloor.wordpress.com/2008/04/17/multigroups/

A little time-consuming, yes - but you can make yourself a preset keyboard mapping for it and get through fairly efficiently once you get an understanding of how and why it works fairly well.

Which is not to say multigroup doesn't need some SERIOUS improvement.  Again, that post just turned seven years old, and its clunky workaround is still the best way to handle this situation.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 20 2015 5:32 PM In reply to

• Éric Simoneau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 14 2009
    • Victoriaville - Québec
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,620

Re: 8.3 and a dslr multicam project!

Yeah i was looking for a workaround of that technique. 
    ive decided to go ahead and make today's show using it. knowing it would be painful. guess what, IT WENT LIKE HELL. 

so i was working with proxies (h264 800k) created from avid to help my machine handle the multicam process (3dslr = gg). i had put tapenames to clips to make sure i remember which camera they came from.

so i go ahead and make the intence subclips (480 were created this morning)

happily group them together.

yay i have a multigroup of proxies!

Did some edit and thought one of the camera needed too much CC and it was bothering me too much... so i relinked all the masterclips to their original DSLR files. graded the clip and saved the preset.

went back to turn the masterclips back offline so i can finish to lay down my multigroup edits.

Turning the clips offline to online took down the aux TC of my subclips so my MULTIGROUP only relinks to the first 3 seconds of my 55min duration. everything else is black. i basicaly lost 4 hrs of work bcuz of standard offline / onlining a masterclip. 

fun times avid. fun times. 

The closer you get to the deadline, the more chances things will start to fk up royaly. True story. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller