Latest post Sun, Nov 15 2015 3:25 PM by Marianna. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 21 2015 6:40 PM

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,198
    • Points 14,945
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Geeked [8-|] Mac Editors - Do this NOW! (Disable OS Auto Updates)

Attention all Mac-based Avid Editors everywhere:

When you have your Mac set to automatically download and install every Apple OS upgrade that gets released, you are at fault for allowing your computer to upgrade beyond what the nice folks at Avid have tested and coded your Media Composer software to run on. (See image below for reference.)

So do this: System Preferences / App Store / uncheck: Automatically "Install OS X Updates".

Please and thank you. Big Smile

For a list of which "version environments" of Media Composer & macOS and Windows are qualified by Avid, click [HERE].

Although I would indeed advise that you download (just not install) each update that Apple releases. This way you "get" the release and can store it on your computer for WHEN Avid is able to qualify it as viable.

Here's why:

When Apple releases a new OS point version, say 10.12.4, Avid's engineers get it the same day the rest of its customers do. Yes there are often times when Avid gets a "pre-release" version of the new Mac OS, but as you can imagine, the engineers at Apple aren't done finalizing everything. Time and time again, Avid's engineers have gotten burned by Apple because the pre-release version they obtained was drastically different than the final release. Even if one line of code was changed between pre-release and the final, it could have been a vital one that takes Avid weeks to make changes to its own code in order to accommodate. There are too many variables. For example, the OS could work fine and Composer could work fine in software-only mode, but Avid's engineers could be stuck with all their hardware drivers broken from something goofy in the OS release. 

Final Cut editors were very lucky for a long time because Apple would only release an update to FCP once they knew it was approved on the OS. That's not the case for Media Composer, Premiere, Edius or a slew of other apps.

So on any non-Apple product (not just Composer), we all need to read the readme files that come with the software before installing it. The good news is that in the last 15 years, I've rarely seen a new point release of Composer released more than a month after an Apple OS release. Also you can downgrade your OS at any time. Many, many, many of us are collecting paychecks as editors while still running Lion or even Snow Leopard.

Long story short (too late), if you have accidentally upgraded passed what your version of Composer can handle, then either downgrade your OS or wait patiently for the next version of Media Composer. It is being worked on, I promise.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Sat, Apr 11 2015 9:53 PM In reply to

Re: Mac Editors - Do this NOW! (Disable OS Auto Updates)

Hi,, I'm using protools 11.3.1 and komplete 9 ultimate of Native Instruments,, but my OS of my MAc was upgrade to OSX Yosemite ver 10.10.2.  An now I can open my sesion . What can I do, I don't have back up on my sistem ??

• Sat, Apr 11 2015 10:13 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,198
    • Points 14,945
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Forgive me for not knowing Pro Tools. This is the video forum. I would ask the audio experts here: http://duc.avid.com

Good luck!!!

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Sun, Nov 15 2015 12:48 PM In reply to

• Emer82
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Hello, I've installed the el capitan os and for the first two weeks, the avid media composer was working well but yestarday I installed a new el capitan upgrade and then the media composer stopped working, it's not open any more. What can I do?

• Sun, Nov 15 2015 3:25 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,428
    • Points 110,050
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

email me your system ID.  email address is below

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller