Latest post Mon, Jan 19 2015 8:15 PM by bonang. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 18 2015 6:28 PM

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 341
    • Points 4,210

update multiple dongles on one computer?

I've got a few dongles that I'd like to update w/ the 8.3 support (already purchased) but use only one system to do so. I've already updated one dongle to 8.3, with MC 8.3 installed and working on this system, and the AppMgr reflects this dongle. Has anyone done this? Any caveats? Thanks for the info.

- Keith

Avid MC 8.10 with Symphony option | HP zbook 17" G3 / i7 6820HQ / 32GB RAM / 512GB SSD / WIN 10 PRO 64 / nVidia m3000m / BMD UltraStudio 4K [view my complete system specs]

Keith

• Sun, Jan 18 2015 6:48 PM In reply to

Re: update multiple dongles on one computer?

bonang:
    AppMgr reflects this dongle
    If you unplug a dongle your AppMgr will then read Avid Media Composer   Buy.  This shows that it only reads the Dongle that is plugged in. So you can update all your individual dongles on the same machine. (I have done it here with 2)

bonang:
    Any caveats?
    I suggest that you make a folder called 8.3 Dongle updates. Inside this folder create and name a new folder for each Dongle  (5xxxxxxxx1 Updater, 6yyyyyyyy6 Updater, ...... where 5xxxxxxxx1 is the Dongles Sys ID)

Download the appropriate updater.avd directly to the approriate SysID updater folder and work methodically from there.

• Sun, Jan 18 2015 7:51 PM In reply to

I've updated a dozen dongles on one system so far. No Problem.

Just unplug the current dongle. Plug in the new dongle. MAke sure app manager refreshes and shows the correct dongle id. Then update. and repeat.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Sun, Jan 18 2015 9:40 PM In reply to

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 341
    • Points 4,210

Andrew & Pat - thanks very much. I thought that should do it, but the AppMgr was not recognizing a different dongle than the 1st one, even when removed. Seeing that you confirmed it should work, I did a system reboot, the 2nd dongle was recognized, and the updating went successfully. The reboot was the ticket here (WIN7 64). Just a couple more to do...easy!

Avid MC 8.10 with Symphony option | HP zbook 17" G3 / i7 6820HQ / 32GB RAM / 512GB SSD / WIN 10 PRO 64 / nVidia m3000m / BMD UltraStudio 4K [view my complete system specs]

Keith

• Mon, Jan 19 2015 5:56 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,993
    • Points 37,730

Just restart App Manager each time you swap a dongle. I did all of them on one machine.

Make sure you have 8.3 installed before you do the updates. Updates done in 8.2 don't work on 8.3 even with the same updater file. 

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Mon, Jan 19 2015 8:15 PM In reply to

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 341
    • Points 4,210

TCurren:

Just restart App Manager each time you swap a dongle. I did all of them on one machine.

Make sure you have 8.3 installed before you do the updates. Updates done in 8.2 don't work on 8.3 even with the same updater file. 

Thanks - did that, and had 8.3 installed. Still did not recognize the correct dongle until a reboot - then all was fine (except for one license which is now in the hands of MM.)

Keith

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller