Latest post Tue, Dec 29 2015 7:20 PM by jbe. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 14 2014 3:56 PM

Question regarding Academic Licenses

Hi Marianna,

I have some quick questions about these new licensing options...
    I get a lot a lot of doubts and questions asked on the Social Media by people who own Academic Licenses: 

-How will Avid handle those Academic licenses (for example after Dec 31, 2014)?
    -What will students have to do, whose 4 year free upgrade period has expired?  
    -And what happens with the Licenses of schools, colleges, universities etc...?

thanks!

Wim

Social Media Manager at Avid
    Editor-in-Chief avidblogs.com

Got a great story to tell for #TimelineTuesday?
    Want to share a Media Composer Tutorial on #TutorialThursday?
    Contact me!

Twitter: @editorbelga
    Facebook: fb.com/editorbelga 
    WWLD

• Tue, Oct 14 2014 4:26 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,079
    • Points 216,475
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Question regarding Academic Licenses

Hi Wim...

Good questions....  

Question #1:   How will Avid handle those Academic licenses (for example after Dec 31, 2014)? 

Answer:  If the student still has a portion of their 4 year upgrade window available, they will continue to receive upgrades in their My Account at account.avid.com.  Once the 4 years are over, then they would need to move to answer #1 below

Question #2 :  What will students have to do, whose 4 year free upgrade period has expired?  

Answer #1:  Any student who bought a MC license on or before March 2009 has already exoired past the 4 year upgrade window.  Students or graduates in this scenario, can buy the $299/year USD Support/Upgrade and the license will convert to commercial.  They would then either buy the $299 support/upgrade plan anually or they can buy monthly or let it lapse.  If they let it lapse, they will stay at the version they had when it lapsed.

Answer #2: Any student who bought after the 4 year was liminated, would buy the $99 support option but they'll continue to be asked to prove their eligiblity through identit-e.

Question #3  And what happens with the Licenses of schools, colleges, universities etc...?

Answer:  Academic Institutions will continue to purchase the $99 support option.

HTH

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Oct 14 2014 4:33 PM In reply to

Thanks!

Social Media Manager at Avid
    Editor-in-Chief avidblogs.com

Got a great story to tell for #TimelineTuesday?
    Want to share a Media Composer Tutorial on #TutorialThursday?
    Contact me!

Twitter: @editorbelga
    Facebook: fb.com/editorbelga 
    WWLD

• Thu, Oct 30 2014 8:54 AM In reply to

• Danny_boy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

Am I correct in reading answer #1 to question #2 as anyone who purchased an academic version prior to 2009 can buy a support contract for $299/yr from this point on and get full access to the commercial license? Even if someone purchased the educational/student license of Xpress Pro as a student in say 2005?

• Thu, Oct 30 2014 12:58 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,079
    • Points 216,475
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Danny_boy....

Yes... Any student that bought an academic license prior to 2009 and has a pre 3.5 system with a dongle, can by the support/upgrade plan and get MC 8.x and all releases plsu support for $299 per year.  this will change the license to a commercial license.  Then at the end of 2015 you would either renew the $299 plan, opt to move to subscriotion or do nothing and the license remains at the versionit is at the end of the plan expiration.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Oct 30 2014 5:31 PM In reply to

• Danny_boy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

Thanks for letting me know! Is there anything special I need to do, or do I just buy the support contract and enter my system ID & serial number from my existing dongle?

• Sat, Nov 1 2014 11:42 PM In reply to

• haukez
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,545

That's great! Good to know.

I have an additonal question:

I own a commercial Symphony licence (Internet Activation) and want to buy the support plan for this.

But I also own an older (2008) Academic Licence (which I don't use anymore) with a dongle.

Q1:

When I purchase the Support Plan, is there any possibility to transfer my MC8 License + Symphony Option to that (Academic) Dongle so I could use Dongle Licensing instead of Internet Activation?

Q2:

Alternatively, is the Symphony Option interchangable between different Licenses of MC or will it be locked to the one I puchased it with?

Thank you!

• Mon, Nov 3 2014 5:33 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,079
    • Points 216,475
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Haukez....

haukez:

I have an additonal question:

I own a commercial Symphony licence (Internet Activation) and want to buy the support plan for this.

But I also own an older (2008) Academic Licence (which I don't use anymore) with a dongle.

Q1:

When I purchase the Support Plan, is there any possibility to transfer my MC8 License + Symphony Option to that (Academic) Dongle so I could use Dongle Licensing instead of Internet Activation?

You have 2 licenses in this scenario.... One symphony on SW licensing and one Acadmeic in a dongle.  Probably pre 3.5 as that is when we switched to sw licensing.  

Yes we can make the dongle license the MC 8 + Symphony once you purchase the plan.   You should also considered buying the support/plan for the sw license based system as then you dont have to switch between 2 computers as you would have 2 licenses still.

Q2:

Alternatively, is the Symphony Option interchangable between different Licenses of MC or will it be locked to the one I puchased it with?

The symphony Option if it stays as an activation ID - can be activated and deactivated on different MC systems ( dongle based or license based).

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Nov 3 2014 6:59 PM In reply to

Danny_boy:
    Even if someone purchased the educational/student license of Xpress Pro as a student in say 2005?
    If it's still Xpress Pro or Xpress DV, then no.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 13 2014 12:01 PM In reply to

• haukez
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,545

Marianna:

Yes we can make the dongle license the MC 8 + Symphony once you purchase the plan.  

Great. But, how exactly is it done? Buy plan for Dongle based Licence? Then transfer Symphony, how?

Are there additional costs?

Marianna:

You should also considered buying the support/plan for the sw license based system as then you dont have to switch between 2 computers as you would have 2 licenses still.

I'm a bit slow or maybe my english is not very sufficient, so I appologize if I'm asking a maybe dumb Question:

You mean it is a mandatory purchase of both support plans (SW and Dongle) to transfer the Symph Option? Or do you mean an advantage? I'm not shure what you mean by "switching Computers"?

Thank you very much and I'm sorry for being so go-slow

• Fri, Nov 14 2014 2:32 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,079
    • Points 216,475
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

haukez....

Everyone who buys the support/upgrade plan gets a 22 digit code that they redeem in your master account ( avid activation link) which then deposits an activation ID into My Products on your account.    No additional charge.

You then need to validate the system you ish to use with the support/upgrade plan so you enter your system ID which is tied to a dongle. Then you will see a dongle update link in your Media Composer | Software location within your MY Account.

It is not mandatory that you buy the support/upgrade plan or migrate the license(s) to subscription but if you do not do one of these things, the license will remain at the version you have now and can not be updated or have a support plan added after the Jan 1 2015 date.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Dec 3 2014 11:18 AM In reply to

• rjmargo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 16 2014
    • Posts 3
    • Points 55

Hi Marianna,

i keep seeing information about what to do for those who bought a student license pre March or April 2014. What is the exact deadline of purchase? What if you bought after that? Then what happens with the student license? I am asking specifically about version 7.

thank you!

• Wed, Dec 3 2014 3:01 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,079
    • Points 216,475
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Rj...

The 4 year free upgrade program started in March 2009.  So 4 years from then, March 2013 woud be the first group of folks who expired and had to pay to upgrade their academic license.  If you bought MC 7 then that was in the 2013-early 2014 timeframe and should have access to the 4 years of upgrades.  We stopped that with MC 8.

You would log in to your Master Account and then go here:  http://www.avid.com/US/support/upgrade-academic-free

If you bought a while ago ( pre December 2010) and are outside the 4 year window, then you can buy the $299 support/upgrade plan and the license will convert to Commercial.

Does this help?

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Dec 3 2014 3:32 PM In reply to

• rjmargo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 16 2014
    • Posts 3
    • Points 55

Thank you, Marianna. I think that does answer my question. So even if a student Version of MC 7 was bought in late April or early May, as long as it is pre MC8 then the 4 year window is valid.

Thank you for the link. i will check it out.

• Wed, Dec 3 2014 3:41 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,079
    • Points 216,475
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Yes as long as it was pruchased as an academic license and was bought as MC 7 or earlier and is within the dates today of.....  December 3 2010 ot December 3 2014 ( 4 years).  make sure it as registered as if it wasnt that can trip this up.

Just go to your Master Account at account.avid.com

then go to the link I sent you.....

enter your info..... and we should deposit the upgrade into your Product and Subscription section of your MY Account

let me know via email if you need help.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller