Latest post Mon, Oct 13 2014 2:11 PM by Marianna. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 13 2014 2:11 PM

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,499
    • Points 111,015
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Idea [I] Update 9.3.15 | New Software Licensing FAQ’s |v8.x and higher

Locked Contact

Software Licensing for Media Composer, Symphony, and NewsCutter FAQ’s for Pre 8.x  http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/user_guide/en277611

Software Licensing for Media Composer, Symphony, and NewsCutter FAQ’s for v8.x and higher.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/Media-Composer-Software-Born-On-Date-Licensing-FAQ

---- NEW ----  

Listed below are some of the common questions that you can expect to be asked relating to Media Composer andentitlements.

Q: How do my upgrade and support plan dates get written to my license?
    A: Upgrade and support plan start and end dates are written to a Media Composer v8 license upon activation of the license (or creation of the Dongle Updater .avd file) in the case of Dongles. 

Q: How do I know what my upgrade and support dates are?
    A:  The upgrade and support information for each of your Media Composer licenses can be found in your My Avid Account. Simply select My Products and Subscriptions, then expand the product category you are looking for, and locate the System ID of the license in question. The upgrade and support information will be visible to the right of your System ID. 

This information is also available in Application Manger under the Support tab.

Q: What if I have a upgrade & support plan that was bought before May 15, 2014? What does that mean for me?
    A:  Customers that purchased an upgrade and support plan prior to May 15, 2014 are also included in this entitlement change. They will see their upgrade and support entitlement dates written to their license when they activate it to upgrade.

Q: What if I’m not connected to the internet?
    A:  The Application Manager reads the upgrade and support entitlement information from the license. Once the license is activated (either via an Online Activation on a Media Composer client that is connected to the internet, or via an Offline Activation using a separate computer that is connected to the internet), the entitlement information is written to the license file and shared with Application Manager. Media Composer clients that are not connected to the internet will not receive notifications in Application Manager when their upgrade and support entitlements are about to expire, however the expiration date will always be visible in the Support tab provided the license files are up to date.

Q: Can I still run older versions of software?
    A:  Yes, some older versions of software will continue to run with these license changes. For information regarding license and software version compatibility, please refer to this Knowledge Base article: Using a Media Composer 8.0, Symphony Option, or NewsCutter Option license to activate a previous version

Q: How do I update my license if I have a dongle?
    A:  Customers who have a dongle license for Media Composer will need to update their dongle once per year, just like customers with a software license. Dongle updater files can be generated from within your My Avid Account in the My Products and Subscriptions section. Locate your dongle’s system ID, then select the “Download Dongle Updater File” button. This will prompt you to enter in your dongle’s serial number; once complete, a dongle updater file will be created and saved to your system. Use Application Manager to update your dongle with the updater file. Once updated, the upgrade and support entitlements will be written to the dongle and displayed by Application Manager in the Support tab. For complete information on updating a dongle, please visit the avid.com/dongle web page.

Q: How do I update my software license?
    A:  The process for activating and updating a software license has not changed. Locate your System ID in the My Products and Subscriptions section of your My Avid Account. An Activation ID for Media Composer v8 should be visible in the section below the System ID; you will need both to activate your license. If your Media Composer system is connected to the internet, you can activate your license using Application Manager. If your Media Composer system is not connected to the internet, you will need to perform an offline activation here and bring the resulting .bin file back to your Media Composer system to then complete the activation process within Application Manager. Once activated, the license will provide Application Manager with the active upgrade and support entitlements, which will be visible in the Support tab. For more information on activating a software license, please visit the Activation and Licensing for Media Composer Knowledge Base article.

Q: What about Symphony or NewsCutter Option? How are those affected?
    A:  As Symphony and NewsCutter are now both options for Media Composer, they are not affected by this change. The upgrade and support entitlements are tied to the Media Composer license, not the option licenses, so therefore only the Media Composer license needs to be activated to enable the upgrade and support entitlement information. You do not need to re-activate your Symphony or NewsCutter Option licenses.

Q: How often do I have to update my license?
    A:  Your license needs to be updated no more than once per year (365 days) any time after your upgrade and support plan has been renewed. It is not necessary, however, to update your license if you are not performing a software update. If your upgrade and support plan is successfully renewed, but you are not going to upgrade your software version at that time, you do not need to upgrade your license. Licenses only need to be updated when you have renewed your upgrade and support plan and are performing a software upgrade to a version that was released after your previous upgrade and support plan expired.

Q: What happens if I miss my renewal dates?
    A:  You have 30 days after your upgrade and support plan has expired to renew your plan. If you fail to renew your plan after those 30 days, you will need to purchase a new license of Media Composer in order to receive the latest software update. update. Your current license will maintain the upgrade and support entitlement dates of your expired plan, and it will only be able to run an software version that was released prior to the expiration of your plan (provided that software will run with a Media Composer v8.0 license.)

Q: I have a Dongle - why did an Activation ID show up in My Avid Account?
    A:  An Activation ID is required to create a Dongle Updater file. As most dongle users were never given an Activation ID upon purchase (as it was not previously required), Avid has automatically deposited an Activation ID in your My Avid Account so that you may successfully update your dongle with your upgrade and support entitlement information. You do not need to use this Activation ID anywhere else – it is only necessary when creating your Dongle Updater file.

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller