Latest post Mon, Aug 25 2014 3:46 PM by Arbourne. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 17 2014 12:02 PM

• Arbourne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 17 2014
    • Posts 4
    • Points 45

FS100 to MC 8 (severe moire and aliasing effects)

Hi everyone - 

I'm currently in the process of switching from FCP7 to MC. Yesterday I downloaded the trial as I'm still debating whether to get the annual subscribtion or buy the software out right.

I want to use MC for a new feature-doc project I'm working on, so I converted the AVCHD material to DNxHD145 and began importing the clips into MC. This took quite some time. Yet, once I began to play back the clips they looked all washed-out with severe moire and aliasing effects. I then tried AMA linking them but the same problem occurs. 

When I look back at the original DNxHD145 clips they look fine. 

What am I doing wrong? 

Many thanks in advance. 

Geoff

Filed under: ,
  • Sun, Aug 17 2014 12:43 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,442
    • Points 41,505

Re: FS100 to MC 8 (severe moire and aliasing effects)

Questions:  How / where are you viewing the material when you see the artifacts? 

If this is in the Avid interface, look to the bottom left of the timeline.  There is a small monitor that if you hover over it (and have help tools are turned on) will say video monitor quality.  If it is yellow/green, it is showing you a degraded version for performance reasons.  Click on it and it will toggle to full quality.

If you are looking at a broadcast montor, then how is the signal getting there?

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Aug 17 2014 1:13 PM In reply to

How did you convert to DNxHD145?  Sounds like you might have done that outside of MC.  If you do that, you run the risk of having another program mess up all kinds of things - color shifting, quality, timecode, etc.

Best way to go is to do everything within MC.  AMA Link to the original AVCHD volume folder - which would be one folder above the "PRIVATE" folder in the AVCHD structure.  Usually, I make that an easily-identifiable name, such as the date of the shoot [20140817-Day1-Cam1 > PRIVATE > AVCHD ....].

Also, note the difference between IMPORT and AMA LINK.  Importing is seen as the "old" way of bringing in media - it forces a transcode with AVCHD, so you can't do anything until all your media is imported.  For most formats, AMA Link gives you more options, and it's faster.  So don't use import here, because AVCHD works well with AMA Link in MC.

Again, AMA Link to the folder that contains the PRIVATE folder.  Your clips will appear in the bin.  Feel free to rename the clips in your bin however you want, as this will NOT do anything to the raw files.  You can always enable the "Source Path" and "Source File" columns to see where the original file came from.

Once you have all your clips in your bin, if you want to create DNxHD for all of your raw media, you then select all your raw clips in your bin, and Transcode them.  It'll create ".new" clips, which I recommend placing in another bin.  You can then edit with those (and rename them however you want - again, they will still know their original file paths and their original AMA origins).

Good idea is to keep your original AMA-linked AVCHD in a bin of its own, for easy reference and relinking later.

Hope this helps somewhat.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 17 2014 1:28 PM In reply to

Another use of AMA is to let you start editing with the AMA clips, make your selects, and then to transcode only what you need.

The workflow there starts the same as before - AMA Link to all your raw media, populate your bin with it.  Rename as you want.  Begin editing - put your sequence in a separate bin, as again, I like to keep my AMA stuff completely separate in its own bin(s).

Then, when you've edited what you want to keep, you can right-click your SEQUENCE, transcode it to DNxHD, and relink the sequence to the DNxHD media.

Foreground transcoding is faster, but if you want to start looking at your media immediately, background transcoding works well here too - whether you transcode your raw clips, or your sequence, you can then relink your sequence to your newly-transcoded media as it gets transcoded.  To relink your sequence, right-click it, Relink.., and ensure that you've selected options to relink to media from the current project only, and relink to media only in the format of the current project.  Your choice whether to create a new sequence.  You can de-select the option to reload media database(s) in the relink dialog.

Big help here - in your timeline "fast menu" (lower left "hamburger menu" in the timeline), under "Clip Color"), you can ENABLE the option to have AMA media appear in a different color.  That way, you can see what's AMA media, and what's transcoded media, as you do your transcoding and relinking.

So overall, key takeaways here are that AMA Linking to AVCHD gives you multiple options for dealing with your media - how much of it you want to transcode, when you want to transcode it, and how quickly you want to sit down and begin editing.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 17 2014 2:05 PM In reply to

• Arbourne
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 45

Thanks Jef and usatraveler - that's a great help. I've done as you both suggested and adjusted the quality monitor/AMA linking. The footage in MC now looks like the original, although the audio seems to be out of sync. Which it wasn’t before. Strange. 

• Mon, Aug 25 2014 3:46 PM In reply to

• Arbourne
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 45

Wow...I'm still having problems with the sync sound Sad

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller