Latest post Sat, Aug 16 2014 10:20 PM by jef. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 14 2014 8:43 PM

• CJStewart
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 21 2012
    • Posts 4
    • Points 75

Relinking all offline files after RAID crash

Hello all, I have not been able to find a solution that address' my exact problem. Hopefully someone out there knows the answer.

I had a 5 bay RAID5 drive that became corrupted. I sent the drive encloser and drives to a data recovery centre and $6k later I have all my files back on 2 external standard USB drives. 

On the recovered data drives I have 4 different sets of Avid Media Files (2 on each drive). They recovered each of the RAID drives and put them in a separate folder "Drive 1, Drive 2" etc... (Note - there are only 4 drive folders because the 5th was redundant)

Here is where the probelm starts. How do I properly combine all these files onto a drive so that a relink will find them? I know putting the Avid Media Files folder in the root is the first step. But once I drill down to the 1,2 folders I have more than 1 of them. Not sure how to combine them on my temp consolodated drive.

Any insight?

Thanks!

Win 7

HP Z400

Media Composer 7.0.2

Nitris DX

• Thu, Aug 14 2014 9:11 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,338
    • Points 40,375

Re: Relinking all offline files after RAID crash

Avid needs the following file structure:

(at the root) Avid MediFiles > MXF > 1

Now where I wrote 1, you can have any number of "numbered" folders.  So you can have  folders 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. in the MXF folder. 

Things to remember are:  Avid will always attempt to write new media to the "1" folder.   There is a file count limit to any folder after which Avid will create a new numbered folder and write to that.  This number always seems a bit soft (I read different numbers often).  But a good rule of thumb would be keep things under 1000 files per folder (this is VERY conservative).

Hope that helps.

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Aug 14 2014 9:24 PM In reply to

• CJStewart
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 21 2012
    • Posts 4
    • Points 75

Thanks Jef,

Tell me what you think if I do this....

Create a master Avid Video Files - MXF structure in the root. Then move the 1,2 folders into it from each of the 4 drives. Rename any 1 folders that also have a 2 present as its safe to assume they hit that magic file count number. I have 4 '1' folders so I will make them 1-4, then I have 3 '2' folders. I will combine them to a safe file count and then rename then 5,6... if I am able to condense down to 2.

Make sense?

Thanks,

Craig

• Thu, Aug 14 2014 9:36 PM In reply to

I wouldn't combine folders.

Copy one set as 101,102 etc

The next set copy as 201, 202 etc

the third set as 301, 232 etc

and so forth. The any new media will start in a fresh 1 folder and move onto a fresh 2 folder etc.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Sat, Aug 16 2014 10:20 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,338
    • Points 40,375

I agree with Pat.  Dealing with many folders, each with a lesser number of files, is a much easier situation when it comes to trying to sort things out.

Plus, using the free tool MDV (search the forums) will let you organize projects into certain numbered folders if you so choose down the road.

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller