Latest post Fri, Jan 9 2015 1:46 AM by peterwhite. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 14 2014 4:58 PM

• Bob K
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 12
    • Points 110

Unable to AMA link Sony XAVC clips

I'm trying to AMA link Sony XAVC 4K files (shot with Sony AX100 camera), but am unable to.  Avid is either not recognizing the Sony AMA plug-in, or it is the wrong plug-in.  Or there's a simple solution I'm missing; but here are the details:

I have background services running.  Mac OSX 10.8.5.  MC 7.04 w Symphony.

I've downloaded the Sony XAVC/XDCAM Plug-in for Mac from the Sony download page.  It says it is version 3.2.1, although after installing, when I open Avid and click the INFO tab where it lists AMA plug-ins, etc, it lists SonyXDCAM_64bit 3.2001.

When I try to AMA link, here's what happens:

In the "File of type" drop down, if I choose: Auto Detect AMA Plug-in, with Use Current AMA Settings checked, the clip imports, but for video I get Wrong Format (in text on black screen), although the Audio imports fine.

If I choose: Sony XAVC_XDCAM (*mxf), with Use Current AMA setting checked, all the clips are grayed out and I'm unable to select any.

If I choose Sony XAVC_XDCAM (*mxf), uncheck Use Current AMA settings, Files of Type reverts to Auto Detect. 

Then if I import, I get Operation Failed. Check the DMF Status Window for more info.  (Where there is no info).

Finally, if I try SONY XAVC_XDCAM (Folder) option, and select a folder that has clips, I get an "Unable to link to any clips at .. /(my folder)"

I was having this problem with MC 7.02, and had read somewhere that the Sony plug in was for appoved for MC 7.03.  I was about to upgrade to 7.03, but then 7.04 came along, so yesterday I installed 7.04 (after uninstalling 7.02).

I see that the Avid AMA support page doesn't yet list 7.04 as a supported version for the Sony plug-in, though I assume that's just paperwork catching up.

Before I installed the Sony plug-in, I deleted the old ones, as has been suggested.  I've also repaired permissions.  I also turned background services off when I installed the plug-in, as the Read Me says to do.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Media Composer 8.3 w Symphony option BCC efx, AVIDfx OSX 10.8.5 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Quadro K5000 48 gig ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 14 2014 8:27 PM In reply to

• Bob K
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 12
    • Points 110

Re: Unable to AMA link Sony XAVC clips

Replying to my own post with new info.

I spoke with a knowledegable person at Sony.  He said the Sony XAVC plug-in is not for the type of XAVC 4K that the Sony AX100 camera records.  And there is no way to AMA link my 4K files directly into Avid.  If anyone know how, please let me know!  In the meantime, I'm using Premiere.

Also, a minor typo - I had stated that  Avid shows I have plug-in Version 3.2001 installed, when it actually says 3.2011.  Still not the 3.21 which I downloaded, but the Sony person said it's the same.

Media Composer 8.3 w Symphony option BCC efx, AVIDfx OSX 10.8.5 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Quadro K5000 48 gig ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 15 2014 6:10 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

I used Squeeze to create mp4 files that was possible to ama link into Avid.

If you have AE rendering out loosless Avi files also works well and ama links well in Avid.

They will be huge however

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, May 15 2014 6:20 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

and also

Bob K:
    I spoke with a knowledegable person at Sony.  He said the Sony XAVC plug-in is not for the type of XAVC 4K that the Sony AX100 camera records. 

you should have asked him why they still haven´t created a correct type of ama plugin for their own cam of course

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Jan 9 2015 1:46 AM In reply to

Also wondered that, why they just can't optimized the plug-in they offered to solve this xavc problem?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller