Latest post Mon, Mar 24 2014 4:38 AM by smrpix. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 24 2014 4:28 AM

• Scott
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 30 2011
    • Utah
    • Posts 21
    • Points 275

Firewire for laptop w/ no firewire OR PCMCIA card slot

I have a Dell Inspirion laptop that has neither a Firewire port nor a PCMCIA card slot.  I would like to know if anyone has had any success in getting reliable Firewire by using the "two step" process of a PCMCIA adapter that connects to the computer via USB, and then plugging in a Firewire PCMCIA card into the adapter.  (StarTech makes both items, apparently.)  I haven't been able to find any reference to this setup working (or not working).

I am not planning on doing any video editing on the laptop, but would like to be able to capture video from my Canon XHA1s (using a separate capture utility like HDVSplit) onto my laptop to back-up footage while traveling.

Unfortunately the XHA1s does not have an HDMI output, otherwise I would purchase one of the HDMI capture devices such as a Blackmagic shuttle.  So basically it's Firewire or nothing.  I would appreciate any insights.  Thanks!

Scott

Windows 7, 64-bit Intel Core i7 CPU @2.93 GHz 16 GB RAM NVIDIA Quadro FX 570 Graphics [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Mon, Mar 24 2014 4:38 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,360
    • Points 16,745

Re: Firewire for laptop w/ no firewire OR PCMCIA card slot

No jury-rigged adapter to adapter setup will give you what you need.  You need firewire.  Period.  End of story.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  But look how much time and research you've saved.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller