Latest post Wed, Jan 29 2014 5:16 PM by Scott. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 29 2014 8:23 AM

• Scott
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 30 2011
    • Utah
    • Posts 21
    • Points 275

HD Video capture solutions...?

I want to capture video from a camcorder's HDMI output into my laptop via a PVR device.  I've been investigating options such as a Hauppauge gaming PVR and other similar devices, but I've not been able to find much consistent information on whether using a device like this would be workable or practical for the application I'm considering; it all seems focused on recording gaming, which I have no interest in.

It's probably more useful to provide examples of what I hope to accomplish:

1.  Capture live video from the HDMI outputs of Canon HD camcorders (which use miniDV) to a laptop (interviews and other stationary field applications).
    2.  Back up video from miniDVs to a laptop hard drive
    3.  Capture directly from the HDMI output of a Canon HD DSLR in a (hopeful) attempt to overcome the 30-minute record time restriction (I don't know if this is feasible or not).

I'm using MC7 on a Windows 7 desktop, but would like to have some capture ability on the field with a laptop, which does NOT have a Firewire port.  Are there any recommendations about relatively low-cost devices (i.e., less than US$200) that can serve as external capture cards?  And if so, are their file format outputs easily importable into AVID or would it need to go through a lot of transcoding hoops?

Or are there better solutions for accomplishing any of this that I'm overlooking?

Thanks for any assistance. 

Windows 7, 64-bit Intel Core i7 CPU @2.93 GHz 16 GB RAM NVIDIA Quadro FX 570 Graphics [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 29 2014 10:08 AM In reply to

• David Clarke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 13 2010
    • Brighton, Sussex, UK
    • Posts 239
    • Points 3,255

Re: HD Video capture solutions...?

What ports do you have on the laptop?  USB2, USB3, Thunderbolt?

You say you are capturing MiniDV so are you captuing HD or SD video?   Some capture devices won't capture SD video through HDMI.

One to consider would be the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle (£125 in the UK) which connects via USB3 although it does not get on terribly well with many USB3 chipsets.  If you have one that is compatible then it would let you capture directly into Avid.  How well the Shuttle works with Avid has been variable although it is workig ok for me with MC7.

With practically everything else you would probably have to transcode whatever is captured first to get it into Avid.

The other option, if you could stretch the budget a bit would be a HyperDeck Shuttle or an Atmos Samaurai which is basically a box with a hard drive that records video.  They record HD in Pro Res and Avid DNxHD which you could load into Avid directly. 

Laptop - Haswell desktop processor, 16GB RAM, 970m NVidia graphic card. Desktop - 2011 pin Haswell-E processor, 16GB RAM, Thunderbolt, Blackmagic UltraStudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 29 2014 11:17 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Or maybe a Matrox mini would fit well here together with an Expresscard connection, check if there is one on the laptop.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Jan 29 2014 5:16 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 30 2011
    • Utah
    • Posts 21
    • Points 275

Thanks for the responses.  I will look into these options.  I am capturing in HD, and I do have a Blackmagic capture card (which I've used sporadically) on the desktop, though in retrospect I wish I had bought the Intensity Shuttle which I understand does essentially the same thing, but is portable.  

The laptop is a new and unexpected addition to the family, and is your garden variety Dell Inspirion (Core i5 1.6 GHz).  It's not robust enough for video editing but was hoping to at least be able to capture and view raw video on the field for quick transfer to my editing desktop.  My laptop does support USB3, though not sure which chipset.  It does NOT have an Expresscard expansion slot.  I know that USB-to-Firewire adapters are bogus, but do you know if it is possible to use a USB Expresscard adapter with a Firewire Expresscard? 

Thanks again.

Windows 7, 64-bit Intel Core i7 CPU @2.93 GHz 16 GB RAM NVIDIA Quadro FX 570 Graphics [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller