Latest post Wed, Jan 22 2014 7:44 AM by Dmitry Larionov. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 20 2014 1:00 PM

DNxHD MXF 1080p export

Hello forum users,

I need to export my timeline (1080p23.976, no AMA) with DNxHD codec in MXF container. I'm Mac user, so on a Mac I'd export it as QT .mov with DNxHD inside, but what are my options on Windows?

Also, on both platforms, can I export an MXF/DNxHD file directly from timeline? XDCAM MXF isn't an option.

I tried to search forum first, but haven't found a finite answer yet.

Thank you.

MacPro 3,1 2008: 8 core, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro FX 4800, Media Composer 8.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 20 2014 2:03 PM In reply to

Re: DNxHD MXF 1080p export

I think that you can only do this using Interplay Transfer. Altough this thread suggests another solution is available.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 20 2014 2:18 PM In reply to

I'm confused.

You say you need MXF container, but at the same time, you say that on the Mac, you export DNxHD in MOV container, as if that is an acceptable solution.

If that's acceptable for you on the Mac, why can't you do the same on Windows?

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 21 2014 12:02 PM In reply to

Sorry, my bad. I should have worded my problem more precisely.

While I can export to QT mov, this is not a straight-forward solution, because I still need to re-encode it in Adobe Media Encoder CC to get MXF.  

And for unknown reason I can't see DNxHD codecs while I'm trying to export QT mov on Windows machine. Is it normal, or I'm missing something? 

So, my idea was like that, if Adobe app can do it, then Avid app can do this too, right?  Even Premiere Pro can export right from timeline directly to DNxHD MXF.

MacPro 3,1 2008: 8 core, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro FX 4800, Media Composer 8.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 21 2014 12:06 PM In reply to

Wow, thanks a ton, Job ter Burg! I'll check this out (bmx thing).

• Tue, Jan 21 2014 4:47 PM In reply to

Dmitry Larionov:
    for unknown reason I can't see DNxHD codecs while I'm trying to export QT mov on Windows machine. Is it normal, or I'm missing something? 
    If your sequence is already in DNxHD, you would not need to choose the codec, but rather do a Same As Source export. If you use Quicktime Custom settings, you are using the Quicktime Engine to recompress to another codec, actually causing an unnecessary generation of DNxHD recompression.

Another thought: are you sure Adobe lets you export MXF as Op1A or is it actually Open Atom?

If you're just after Open Atom, you could do a Video Mixdown in Media Composer, then Reveal that file, and that is your MXF export. But it won't include sound.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 22 2014 7:44 AM In reply to

Thank you! I really forgot about Same as Source option. Which is ok for imported media, but, I suppose, won't work for AMA, right?

Adobe exports MXF Op1A. Here's screenshot:

http://cl.ly/image/3J400O1B0C0M

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller