Latest post Tue, Dec 10 2013 8:02 AM by elenab. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 10 2013 3:10 AM

• elenab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 29 2013
    • Posts 18
    • Points 200

iNews Web Services exception: "No sessions available on X"

Hi,

Sometimes when connected with Inews Web Services to iNews server, I get this error "No sessions available on X", where X is the iNews server ip address. The way I connect to the iNews server is first time when I start the application and disconnect when closing the application, not after every request I make. The solution is to restart Apache Tomcat service. Is there a maximum of sessions allowed to connect to iNews server? Can this be configured? At our lab this happens very rarely, but at the customer site it happened few minutes after they started the application first time. They probably also have many iNews clients connected to the iNews server.

-Thanks

• Tue, Dec 10 2013 3:28 AM In reply to

• fiatala
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 7 2013
    • Posts 16
    • Points 165

Re: iNews Web Services exception: "No sessions available on X"

Yes, there is a maximum. The "api" sessions are licensed for concurrent connections, and they are not the same as the "inws" workstation licenses. Your lab VMs probably have five api sessions. The customer server has however many they purchased. If you type "/exc/list type=api c" at the iNEWS server you'll see the number configured.

Some notes:

1) You shouldn't use an IP address for the server. It's better to use the iNEWS system name and have the systemName-A, systemName-B, and systemName-C in the web server hosts file. The customer likely has some sessions on A and some sessions on B. If you connect by IP address you're limiting to just the -A node and the client cannot roll over to the next available server. For example, if your iNEWS system name is "NRCS" then the hosts file should have an entry for "nrcs-a" and one for "nrcs-b," and your Connect call should just point to "nrcs" as the server name. The client will handle spinning through the available suffixes.

2) The apache timeout defines how long stale sessions live. It defaults to 30 minutes. If a Tomcat session goes 30 minutes without activity it will be garbage collected by the Tomcat server. Restarting Tomcat does the same thing. You could shorten the timeout and do active heartbeats (IsConnected) when you want to retain a connection.

3) Always send a Disconnect call when logging out of iNEWS or closing your client. This will immediately free the resource that's in use.

• Tue, Dec 10 2013 8:02 AM In reply to

• elenab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 29 2013
    • Posts 18
    • Points 200

Re: iNews Web Services exception: "No sessions available on X"

Hi,

Thank you for your answers. We will check the "api" sessions.

As regarding the notes, all are handleed in the applications. We support both ip address and hostname. The Ip address I was using me on my test environment. Also the heartbeat is implemented to check the connection every 5 sec, and the disconnect is done when closing our application.

Thank you again!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller