Latest post Fri, Oct 11 2013 1:31 PM by FunkyDragon. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 8 2013 6:39 AM

• WAIF2318
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 15 2011
    • Posts 206
    • Points 2,680

what is the difference between them?

I started MC7.02 program,showed me MC demo "Avid Media Composer/Avid Media Composer interplay edition/Avid Media Symphony/Avid Media Symphony interplay edition",what is the difference between them?thanks to any reply.

• Tue, Oct 8 2013 8:57 AM In reply to

Re: what is the difference between them?

Hi,

Media Composer = the main Media Composer program with no options.

Media Composer Interplay Edition = Media Composer program used in an Interplay environment, where multiple systems can share media.

Media Composer with Symphony Option = Media Composer program with advanced color correction and effects.

Media Composer Interplay Edition with Symphony Option = Media Composer program used in an Interplay environment, where multiple systems can share media, also includes advanced color correction and effects.

Hope that helps.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer | Software (8.0) w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Oct 8 2013 10:43 AM In reply to

• WAIF2318
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 206
    • Points 2,680

Dear camoscato,thanks to  your reply,and Media Composer with Symphony Option is more better

than Media Composer?

• Tue, Oct 8 2013 10:47 AM In reply to

If you need the advanced color correction and keying effects, or if you create multiple master tapes for a variety of formats, then you might need the Symphony option.  If you don't need any of that stuff, then the basic Media Composer may be ok for what you need to do.

Media Composer | Software (8.0) w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Tue, Oct 8 2013 10:49 AM In reply to

• WAIF2318
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 206
    • Points 2,680

"Media Composer with Symphony Option = Media Composer program with advanced color correction and effects."

=============================================================================advanced "advanced color correction and effects."means more color correction and effects in Media Composer with Symphony Option edition?

• Tue, Oct 8 2013 11:23 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 3,497
    • Points 46,230

Plus, when you purchase the Synphony option, you also get the BCC plugins which  a very powerful tool. Purchased separately, BCC would cost more than the Symphany upgrade itself. Go to www.borisfx.com to learn more about BCC for AVX. 

Camera(s) Sony HDR-FX1, Hero 3+ | MC 7.0.4 | QT 7.7.4 | BCC 8.2 | Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 | System: P6X58D-E, Core i7 960, Quadro 4000 2GB (320.78), 12GB... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

• Tue, Oct 8 2013 11:33 AM In reply to

WAIF2318:
    "advanced color correction and effects."means more color correction and effects in Media Composer with Symphony Option edition?

Yes.  The color corrector with the Symphony option gives you much more control over the image, and many more ways to apply corrections.  As for effects, you get a few more Avid effects with the Symphony option, and as Steve says you also get BCC, which has a ton of effects included.

• Wed, Oct 9 2013 12:48 PM In reply to

• Allan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Denmark
    • Posts 291
    • Points 3,545

If you have a edcational license, Avid Media Composer will launch interplay edition.

Dont now why, but puzzling

13 edit stations Educational MC 6.5.2 in use, MC 6.5.3 under reliability test, MC 7 under consideration workflow test, dongles with troubles, AVID ISIS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 9 2013 2:42 PM In reply to

Allan:

If you have a edcational license, Avid Media Composer will launch interplay edition.

Dont now why, but puzzling

I think I saw a post from Marianna the other day saying they're doing that so that educational versions can be used in schools where there are multiple users hooked up to an Isis/Interplay system.

• Wed, Oct 9 2013 4:59 PM In reply to

camoscato:
    Media Composer Interplay Edition = Media Composer program used in an Interplay environment, where multiple systems can share media.

For the record: you don't need the Interplay Edition to work in a Shared Environment (ISIS, Unity, EditShare, Terrablock), which lets you share media and projects, but you DO need it to have your MC tap into an Interplay environment. Interplay is an extensive asset management product line (with a cloud based remote editing option, among other things). If you don't know what that is (and I'll admit that I know very little about it), you are not likely to need it (but you can sort of find some info here, here and here). 

Also, if you are working with less than 15 systems, you are unlikely to benefit from Interplay products. Even though Avid could probably create a version that would benefit smaller companies (many of those could probably use Sphere), they don't appear to be after that market with this product line.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | Decklink Studio |... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 11 2013 1:31 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

Also, if you are working with less than 15 systems, you are unlikely to benefit from Interplay products. Even though Avid could probably create a version that would benefit smaller companies (many of those could probably use Sphere), they don't appear to be after that market with this product line.

Avid sells Interplay "bundles" that include ISIS 5000, a switch, a single engine interplay, and 4-5 edit clients for smaller business models.

Symphony 6.5.3 Win7x64 Pro HP 8740w Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) MC 7.0 +Symphony Option - HP z420 16GB RAM [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller