Latest post Tue, Sep 25 2018 5:03 PM by Aren Hansen. 22 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 26 2015 3:07 PM In reply to

Re: Can't add scene number to Group Clips?

Bug, feature, it makes no difference to me.

The thing I think we all want is for the software to behave consistently within scripts, whether we have grouped or individual clips. I frequently need to mix grouped clips with individual clips in a script for the exact same slate. Given that I drop every clip for a given setup onto the same slate, inconsistency across the clips is a design flaw. What we're talking to you about here is the way that your software was designed to function.

With the work-around you suggest, I'm working for the software when the software should be working for me.

• Mon, Oct 26 2015 9:45 PM In reply to

StanleyKowalski:

Bug, feature, it makes no difference to me. With the work-around you suggest, I'm working for the software when the software should be working for me.

This is exactly correct. The script feature in Avid is both extremely powerful and utterly outdated and unsupported. It's mind blowing how fantastic and yet limiting it is. 

• Wed, Oct 28 2015 1:18 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,506
    • Points 63,815
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Stanley,

If you do indeed drop every clip for a setup onto the same slate, they'll all have individual take numbers (most likely with camera designation) but the grouped clip won't as it has all of the individual takes in the group.  So, if I was cutting something using ScriptSync I'd know which one is the group clip and which one's are the individual clips because the group clip doesn't have a take number designated on the top of the line.  In your case you'd have to designate the group clip from the individual clips some other way.  FYI, testing this I discovered that you need to add the group clip to the script first so that the individual clips will overwrite the scene designation in the box.  If you add the group clip last, the scene box will take on the group name (which probably brings us back to the original complaint).

Sounds like this should be in the Feature Request Forum.

And it's not "my software", I'm just a user like you.  I don't work for Avid.

- Stella

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Wed, Oct 28 2015 2:23 PM In reply to

Hi Stella,

Thanks for your response. It seems we're both barking up the wrong tree here. I didn't realize that moderators don't work for Avid. And I guess I'll have to submit a feature request for this after all.

I appreciate your suggestions and your research, but the method you describe doesn't resemble my workflow and won't get me where I need to be. For whatever it's worth, keep reading.

I don't group across takes, only within takes. So let's say I'm working on setup 57A and there are 11 takes. Production shot two cameras for seven of those takes and one camera for the remaining four. Takes 1, 9, 10, and 11 were covered by one camera, 2-8 by two cameras. I group the cameras for takes 2-8 by take. 1, 9, 10, and 11 aren't grouped. I then drop one clip per take onto slate 57A in my script—some are grouped and some aren't—and because of the issue we're discussing in this thread, I don't have the same information for each take.

By the way, I don't usually post in forums when I'm looking for a work-around. As I said before, I want the software to work for me, not the other way around. I think there's significant room for improvement in Media Composer, and this is one simple thing that could be done to make the program more user-friendly. That's why I'm focusing attention on it. I think the same is probably true for the other users in this thread.

• Wed, Oct 28 2015 4:38 PM In reply to

For anyone else interested in adding your support for this feature request, there's a relevant thread here:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/101893/774440.aspx

• Wed, Oct 28 2015 11:42 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,506
    • Points 63,815
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Stanley,

Got it.  That would be a problem indeed.  Don't get me started on ScriptSync not working past MC 7.

- Stella

P.S. Say away from my sister.  She's crazy.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Thu, Oct 29 2015 3:07 PM In reply to

:) I missed the reference last time.

If there's any way for you to add some weight to our feature request now that you've taken so much time to understand the problem, I'd appreciate it. I added my request as a comment on a thread that's four years old, so I don't know that it'll be seen.

• Tue, Sep 25 2018 5:03 PM In reply to

• Aren Hansen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 15 2016
    • Toronto
    • Posts 28
    • Points 320

Can we do this now? 

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 3.2 Ghz Intel Core i5 and 24GB Ram Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt OWC Thunderbay [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller