Latest post Thu, Jul 18 2013 5:37 AM by luca.mg. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 17 2013 7:45 PM

Big Smile [:D] NEED HELP Importing Canon 5D Mark iii footage into MC 5.5.1

I run Media Composer v.5.5.1 on my DELL laptop (running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit). The program installed fine and seems to work well.

I recently bought a Canon 5D Mark iii and shot some great footage.  It is recorded at 1080/30p in IPB (interframe) compression, using the H.264 codec, as .MOV files.

When I import my these .MOV files into MC, they won't play!  I can hear the sound, but the picture just 'jerks' along.  It also takes forever to import each file.

I tried doing "Link to AMA" to work with it, but it still didn't play well.  I then tried to transcode the footage, but the end-result was not great.  The contrast had been upped, and the footage didn't look as good as the original.

The only work-around I've found so far is to import the footage...then export each clip as an HDV...and then re-import that HDV file.  It plays beautifully.  The problem is that it takes FOREVER to do this with each clip, and I need a long-term solution for future work.

I've tried Googling about this problem, and all the 'converters' that I've tried to use to convert the footage (prior to importing it into MC) degraded the footage.

Can you please help?  Thank you very much for any assistance with this issue.  I had no idea this would even be a problem when I bought the 5D Mark iii....

Media Composer v.5.5.1 on my DELL laptop (running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit). Shoot on: Canon 5D Mark iii that records .MOV files at 1080/30p in IPB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 17 2013 9:00 PM In reply to

• vvgogh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 6 2005
    • Posts 14
    • Points 170

Re: NEED HELP Importing Canon 5D Mark iii footage into MC 5.5.1

I just finished editing a 35 minute fairly complex piece with Media Composer 5.5.3, also shot with a Canon 5DMIII.  Here are some quick observations.

If Media Composer 5.5.1 is running properly with Win7 64 bit, more power to you, but that could be the first thing I would examine carefully.  MC 6.0 is the first release that can use Win7 64bit without problems, and 5.5 is a 32bit application best suited for XP Pro 32bit or Vista 32bit.

The H.264 codec produces smaller files, but it is very resource intensive to decompress and play them.  My dual quad core desktop system with a fairly high-end (Avid approved) nVidia GPU certainly struggled a bit when I asked it to AMA link to my footage and then play it in the source window.  The better workflow is to transcode from the H.264 footage to Avid's DNxHD codec, and I would recommend 145 if you are going to be doing a lot of effects.  You can expect your laptop system to take a while to transcode the footage, but then it should be able to play the files fairly well.  Your workaround with the HDV codec is producing smaller files that play, but is torturing your footage in the process.  DNxHD is going to give you smallish files without artifacts, but it will take time.

It takes a pretty robust laptop with a strong CPU, lots of RAM, a good (Avid approved) GPU and an external RAID (eSATA or USB 3.0) to run Media Composer well.  If you take shortcuts with the hardware, you have to be willing to pay with the extra time it will take to do practically anything.  Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but that has been my experience.

You might want to do a search on the forum for other workflows that could work for you, such as importing DNxHD 35, and then jumping to 145 after you finish editing.  There are lots of good posts on the subject that should help.

Best of luck finding the path that works well for you.

• Thu, Jul 18 2013 5:37 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,551
    • Points 65,105

Re: NEED HELP Importing Canon 5D Mark iii footage into MC 5.5.1

MC 5.5 works better on a 64 bit OS than on the native 32 environment provided that the system has enough RAM.

Mediamakers:
    When I import my these .MOV files into MC, they won't play!  I can hear the sound, but the picture just 'jerks' along.
    Which resolution are You importing to? Sounds like a slow hard drive and/or an underpowered system to me. Do You see blu/red/yellow dots or lines at the bottom of the timeline? Please provide details about Your setup, including video driver and QT version.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller