Latest post Wed, Jan 16 2019 11:36 AM by Job ter Burg. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 18 2013 4:40 PM

• Dwight
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 26 2010
    • Buhler
    • Posts 74
    • Points 990

DCP file format

I am about to start editing my first movie (a micro budget feature), and the Producer/Director says that in order to show a movie in a theater, it needs to be in the DCP format. I looked it up and it stands for Digital Cinema Package. Couldn't find too much info besides the basics.

My questions are:

Is this true?

Is this something I can output from Avid (Currently MC 6.5)?

Or Will there be another step to take outside of Avid, and if so, what?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Dwight

iMac 27" Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB Software Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]

Dwight Buhler   http://www.dwightbuhler.net/

Filed under:
  • Sat, May 18 2013 9:31 PM In reply to

Re: DCP file format

You will need a 3rd part app for that. I've successfully been using QubeMaster Xpress for this.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 18 2013 9:39 PM In reply to

1. DCP is not required by all but it is slowly becoming the standard

2. No

3. Depending which software or service you use. It is likely an AAF or QT out of Avid.

4. EasyDCP, FinalDCP, Wraptor, etc.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 18 2013 9:47 PM In reply to

• Dwight
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 26 2010
    • Buhler
    • Posts 74
    • Points 990

Thanks guys,

That helps allot.

D.

iMac 27" Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB Software Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]

Dwight Buhler   http://www.dwightbuhler.net/

• Sun, May 19 2013 5:31 AM In reply to

I remember being told that DCP creation programs prefer uncompressed TIFF sequences for the source images. How accurate that is, IDK.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sun, May 19 2013 6:26 AM In reply to

This is why I use QubeMaster Xpress. It can take Quicktime movies. I export cutting copies to Quicktime, Same As Source, at 'RGB' levels (full swing), which QME then converts to x'y'z' JPG2K.

But there can be much more to creating a DCP, like subtitles and KDM. QME handles neither.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 21 2013 1:44 AM In reply to

• BlueGirl Media
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 25 2006
    • Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,935

Just tested my first DIY DCP in my local multiplex yesterday and the process was incredibly simple.

Start off by downloading the amazing, free, opendcp software (opendcp.org) and then check out these great guides on using it.

http://www.thefilmbakery.com/blog/creating-a-feature-film-dcp-using-opendcp

and

http://dannylaceyfilm.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/getting-to-grips-with-making-digital.html

My DCP was created from a DNxHD 185X Quicktime exported from Media Composer from which a cropped 16bit TIFF image sequence was exported from Squeeze (to conform to a 2.39:1 aspect ratio as the film was shot on Red Epic @ 5K Scope). From there it was over to openDCP for the easiest mastering process you could imagine. (I also exported a stereo WAV file from my DNx185X QuickTime).

OpenDCP took care of colour conversion to XYZ and also image scaling from 1920x804 to 2048x858 (it looked great). It also takes care of MXF creation and XML metadata too and results in a perfect DCP.

My test was in a very big multiplex in it's biggest screen (600+ seats) and although a proper 2K or 4K version would look much better, this "blow up" still blew my socks off. Image was incredible and the stereo mix sounded really good too.

Did I mention this software is FREE?

This changes everything for me as an editor and filmmaker and also for my students who will now (due in part to a great relationship with our local multiplex) get to see the work we produce on a screen worthy of our efforts.

I'm sure openDCP will be subject of some serious debate as it gains traction but there is no deniying it's an amazing piece of software.

Best

G.

PS

When it's all created just be sure to copy the dcp files to the root of a linux formated drive (mine was EXT 3). Buy Paragon's simple EXTFS for OSX to create, read and write to this file system. Others have had luck with NTFS and HFS formatted drives but EXT seems to be the surest bet.

Dual 2.7GHz G5 | 5GB RAM | SIIG Firewire 400 | MC 2.8.3 | Mojo SDI | 2x 23" ACD [view my complete system specs]

"To achieve greatness only two things are required; a plan, and not quite enough time"

Gustav Mahler

• Tue, May 21 2013 9:47 AM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London UK
    • Posts 528
    • Points 6,120
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Wow - thanks a lot for the info G!

I looked into this about 18 months ago but it seemed overly complicated. You have inspired me to take another look.

The option to screen our students' work via DCP rather than Blu-ray would be very useful.

regards

Nigel

EDIT : Have you tried using Avid to encode the JPEG2000 files? i tried this last year and files sizes were 1/3 compared to DNxHD185x. Picture quality was equal, but colours were not as good - JPEG2000 seemed to have a slight orange tint.

ISIS 5500, MC 18.4 & PT 18.4 on Mac OS with BMD Mini-Monitors, an UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 21 2013 1:46 PM In reply to

• klein19
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 16 2006
    • Montreal, Qc, Canada
    • Posts 137
    • Points 1,695

The beauty of a DCP is the option of a KDM; the KDM is basically a digital key that has an expiry date. So you can upload your film (DCP) to a theater and make the KDM valid for 20 days. Once the 20 days are over, the theater can no longer play the DCP. This really helps to keep control of who plays your film.

As for exporting, I've used QubeMaster before but prefer using a DVS Clipster of DVS Fuze. It's much easier (although more expensive) and it encodes at 50fps! The optimal file sequence is a DPX RGB 444 Full Color Range.

And many people use the DCP as a Digital Master with which you create all of your deliverables; web, DVD Blu-Ray, etc...

Having this option in AVID would be huge. All theaters are turning to DCP's now. They can create a playlist of DCP's for every day, including the trailers etc and just hit play and you don't have to do any thing for the rest of the day. It's wonderful.

MacPro 2.7GHz 12 core, 64GB RAM, Dual AMD FirePro D700 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 24 2013 10:58 PM In reply to

• Patrick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 26 2010
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,955

klein19:
    Having this option in AVID would be huge.

I'm wondering if the upcoming "Frame Flex" feature to access original hi resolution files and support for jpeg 2000 (the format that is specified for DCPs) is leading up to this.....

Mac Pro 8 core, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, Media Composer 7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 25 2013 10:24 PM In reply to

MC is going to have to have 2K and cinema 4K, not Quad HD 4K, project resolutions to be able to credibly be part of any DCP package.

I know that 2K is just 7% wider than 1920, but with cameras shooting in at least 4K and theatres going to 4K projectors, why would anyone who's going through the trouble to create a DCP not want to make it in 4K?

My fear is that 4K in MC is going to be limited to Quad HD or whatever standard 4K broadcast settles upon.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Wed, May 29 2013 6:24 PM In reply to

You might look into our FinalDCP FREE Edition.

Its very streamlined to create a DCP from AVID (or any other editor) fast and reliable.

Just export a DNxHD mov file (use the best settings for quality reasons), preferably including audio if you have it already.

Then drag and drop it onto FinalDCP reel section.

Select the correct content type/country codes etc, very intuitive.

Press "Create DCP" and wait. Thats all there is to do.

And btw, we are definetly the fastest DCP encoding tool out there. If you think its not fast enough, you can add as many RenderNodes as you like to increase speed. If you see 10 machines chrunching your DNxHD at 5-10 times realtime speed at once, it will blow your mind about DCP creation.

I render up to 140 fps in 2K on my small RenderFarm, source DNxHD, ProRes or CineForm. The more machines/network speed, the faster it will go.

On a decend dual xeon (i7 type) hexcore system like HP z800/z820 you can get realtime conversion speed on a single machine in 2K (ie. 24fps conversion).

We will also have a DCP player soon (currently in Beta for MAC and PC).

Best regards,

Axel Mertes, CTO

www.FinalDCP.com

www.MagnaMana.com

• Wed, Nov 29 2017 1:26 PM In reply to

Hey Job!

Tracy in London here..

Trying to open a DCP of the short I just editied..  Downloaded the free Software you mention.. But can this open in an AVID so I can export a Same as Source from it.. then transcode in MPEG Streamclip for online viewing?

I met Walter Murch Last night.. so cool.

Tracy xo

Mac OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite Avid MC Vers v8.6.5 with MX02 4.6.0 (Firmware 15) Mac Pro 2.66GHz 12 Core 12GB / 1TB Solid State Drive w/ 48 GB of added ram... [view my complete system specs]

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.." Alice in Wonderland. feelm

• Wed, Nov 29 2017 4:27 PM In reply to

Tracy Granger ACE:
    Downloaded the free Software you mention.. But can this open in an AVID so I can export a Same as Source from it
    I doubt it. I think some players can export as TIFF sequences, but those would be quite big.

Tracy Granger ACE:
    I met Walter Murch Last night.. so cool.
    Such a lovely guy. Had the honor of interviewing him last year. On my own birthday, no less :)

• Thu, Nov 30 2017 1:25 AM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

This is why I use QubeMaster Xpress. It can take Quicktime movies. I export cutting copies to Quicktime, Same As Source, at 'RGB' levels (full swing), which QME then converts to x'y'z' JPG2K.

But there can be much more to creating a DCP, like subtitles and KDM. QME handles neither.

Job, doesn't Xpress add a watermark?

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller