Latest post Mon, Jul 8 2013 12:47 AM by Alireza Vasefi. 165 replies.
Page 3 of 12 (166 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 8 2013 6:12 PM In reply to

Re: ** Media Composer v7.0 ANNOUNCED **

stephenkohn:
    Will Frameflex work the same way with 1080 footage in a 720 project?

I don't know...no one has addressed that yet, but if I find out I will let you know.  Seems like it should work, though.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Apr 8 2013 6:54 PM In reply to

No reason it shouldn't work with 1080 in a 720 project. Basically it's pan and zoom with keyframes.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Apr 8 2013 7:32 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

perhlom:

Hi,

Am I the only one who feels that this 7.0 announcement is lame?

I'm sure you won't be, but for me this is a definite upgrade. Very exciting stuff. FlexFrame is a must have, and better media management plus waveform cacheing will make me jump immediately. Plus the price is right.

Regarding Adobe's workflow, I agree it's impressive. I began using it in July for a feature I was editing for Syfy, but ultimately had to bail, because their dual system sound workflow was buggy. At the time you couldn't match back to audio in a matched pair and you couldn't export AAfs from matches pairs. If those things are fixed, I'd take another look at it myself. But until they offer a true shared project system like Avid, they're still playing catch-up in the professional world.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 8 2013 7:54 PM In reply to

• perhlom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 11 2010
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,150

Hi,

Personally, I've never shared a project in 15 years, and I would consider myself professional. Sure, if you work in broadcast, sharing is a big deal. Editing a feature, not nearly as much. I've just never done it.

The new Premiere, however, does provide some of the functionality, because you can open projects from within other projects, all the way down to hover-scrubbing and searching. That allows you to partition your project into media-libraries, and any changes to those libraries will be what everyone sees when they browse. So while only one person can be editing a "media library project" at any given time, everyone can read it.

It's obviously not true sharing, but for all intents and purposes, it does provide a lot of the functionality for media browsing with a small change in workflow. I don't know how they handle exchanging sequences.

For me, it allows me to partition a project, because I refuse to have 800 MB project files. Avid is stable because every bin is a separate file, so you never actually have the whole project open. Therefore, Avid can handle unlimited size projects. By working this way in Premiere, I'll be able to do the same. A project will really be made of one master assembly, and 5-10 media libraries.

But anyway, even though I'm actually excited to transition to Premiere, the simple fact is that I have to. Real-world multi-cam is so in the toilet in Avid that I can't do it there. The only solution to cameras that start and stop and mixed media is to render everything and reimport it. For this project, this means baby-sitting many thousands of hours of footage and it has unexplicable storage needs. Every other solution breaks. I've spent months trying to come up with a solution, including insane 50-step macros. In Premiere Pro, I can take the footage, push a button, and I'm basically ready to do. Since multi-cam is the main feature of my next project, I have to switch to anything that's not Avid. The sad truth.

Best,

Per

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:33 AM In reply to

• Kyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 29 2012
    • Posts 135
    • Points 1,685

Is there any more info on exactly how the new dynamic media folders and new AMA workflows work, especially compared to the existing workflows?

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 3:46 AM In reply to

Kyle:
    exactly how the new dynamic media folders and new AMA workflows work,
    Not exactly.

However a few clues I have seen.
               You associate profiles (settings) to any folder
               Any files, folders or virtual volumes placed in these folders are managed by Media Composer products
               Copy, transcode or consolidate actions can be assigned to these folders(Profiles)
               Dynamic Media Folders can exist on local or shared storage.

Looks like AMA media is now managed in a similar (reliable) way as your other Avid media files.

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 4:47 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 754
    • Points 9,340

Open IO - either this is 100% fixed or no upgrade.

A video editing program must be able to smoothly play and trim clips in the timeline.  If it can't meet that fundamental challenge then all the rest is a waste.

Come on Avid - IO should be your #1 task in engineering - its how our clients and your editors view your product - no one is coming away with a good impression at this stage.

MC8.10 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. NewBlue Titler 6... [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 5:18 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

carlgmi:

Open IO - either this is 100% fixed or no upgrade.

Quadro FX3500

Carl, is your profile showing a correct card ?

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 7:00 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 754
    • Points 9,340

Yup.  Works perfectly in MC5.5.2 and didn't work at all smoothly in 6.  Plenty with correct card also experiencing problems.  I wasted so much time and effort trying to get MC 6 to "play nice" with drivers etc that I gave up.  Once I see that it is 100% fixed - even if it meant a new vid card, I'm in, but until then I'm not outlaying any cash on a card or any further time on troubleshooting. v5.5 is rock solid and a pleasure to work with.  Enhanced speed is what draws me to 6+ and the improvements to AMA which I use a lot.

I've followed your help with keen interest in other posts - I admire your dedication and am gald it works for you.

Now back to the renders!

MC8.10 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. NewBlue Titler 6... [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 7:57 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

carlgmi:
    I've followed your help with keen interest in other posts - I admire your dedication and am gald it works for you.

Thanks Carl

carlgmi:

Yup.  Works perfectly in MC5.5.2 and didn't work at all smoothly in 6. 

With the 64 bits Avid there is no software only any longer, the video card needs to be on the origin certified gpu list for cards that allows distributed processing

carlgmi:

Plenty with correct card also experiencing problems. 

I counted those users in a thread a while ago and plenty isn´t the word that comes up in my mind.

Plenty of posts from those users however, also in multiple boards.

There seems to be less problems on this PC side.

What I call " the woodpecker syndrom " seems not to work as it did on the 32 bits side however.

Maybe keeps the keyboards last longer for those users  Smile

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 1:06 PM In reply to

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 395
    • Points 5,215

will the cost for Avid Support Contract for MC also be cutted in price?

As for now It cost almost the same what upgrades do per year, so its quite o good deal...

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 1:22 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

perhlom:
    Personally, I've never shared a project in 15 years, and I would consider myself professional. Sure, if you work in broadcast, sharing is a big deal. Editing a feature, not nearly as much. I've just never done it.

I get it, if you've never used the functionality, then you don't value it. But if you need it, or are accustomed to it, then it's an absolute deal breaker to not have it. I think it's why 95% of all broadcast and major studio features use Avid. You can have dozens of people working on the same show at the same time. And for exactly the reason you mentioned in your post, each bin is a separate file; it makes it easy to assign write permissions to the first person who opens a bin, and read-only to everybody else. Somebody at Avid was WAY ahead of their time when they figured out the project structure. It's still basically unchanged 20 some years later and is pretty bulletproof.

perhlom:
    does provide some of the functionality, because you can open projects from within other projects, all the way down to hover-scrubbing

Oh yeah, that's another thing that was broken when I tried Premier: it woulldn't hover scrub when you have matched clips (video and synced double-system sound). I haven't checked it since July when I reported it to Adobe, so maybe it's fixed. But if you're going to by syncing sound, make sure that works. It's a drag to be expecting glorious hover-scrubbing, and then not be able to use it. Sad

perhlom:
    I have to switch to anything that's not Avid. The sad truth.

I'm curious to hear how it goes. Believe me, I'm no hater on Premier. As I said, I tried to use it myself for a Syfy feature but ultimately had to bail and go back to a transcode and edit situation in Avid because it just wasn't quite ready to make deliverables back then.  I'll definitely be rechecking in the future. My cloud membership is still active.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 9 2013 1:46 PM In reply to

• perhlom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 11 2010
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,150

Hi Chris,

I think that when Avid was originally designed, it just wasn't possible to keep the whole thing in memory. Just because it's possible now, it doesn't mean that it's a good thing either. That's why I'm very happy with Adobe have done for CS7 or NEXT or what it's called.

In terms of hover-scrubbing, that's actually something I don't care much more myself. I'm enough of an old-school Avid guy that I prefer lists of footage that's properly described. I feel confused with too many thumbnails. I also turn them off in the timeline, it's less of a cognitive burden.

I've done very heavy testing, anddone everything I can to simulate the technical and creative load, and I'm just not hitting any roadblocks anywhere, it's a quality piece of software. It would be wrong to expect to sit down and work exactly as I do in Avid, but in a short period of time, I became easily as fast as I am in Avid. And the Premiere interface, is MUCH, MUCH snappier than Avid. I have a monster of a machine with the highest-end recommend Quadra card, but MC 6 for me was, especially in trim mode, dragging its heels too much, so I would routinely disable video output to edit. In Premiere, I'm zapping around, it's incredibly fast.

So I've now made my choice, and I've started buying the things I need like TC generators and the auxTCReader from VideoToolShed, which reads the LTC and changes the Quicktime timecode track, then removes the audio and makes a new file. Premiere Pro eats this directly. This then merges with timecode BWF clips from the sound recorder to produce my multicam clips.

The only downside I've discovered to this multicam workflow is that since Premiere doesn't know which clips go in which tracks, with lots of sources starting and stopping it can be a bit random what ends up on which track in the multicam sequence. But it's trivially easy to adjust things onto the right tracks, and all my media is already renamed to have the camera number in the filename. In the future, Premiere should have a meta-data for camera angle to aid in placing things on the right track. But it's a small matter, it is INFINITELY superior to what I'd have to do in Avid.

As soon as I'm single-camera, all the sound is recorded in-camera, usually a BlackMagic Cinema Camera. But as I understand, the new audio sync specifically now makes compound clips or whatever they're called to sync dual-system audio. I feel like what you describe has to be a small bug that has long since been fixed. I haven't seen it, but I don't deny that you did.

So I'm actually not nervous about this at all. Not since CS7 allowing me to partition my project. I'm actually kind of jazzed, I feel like I got a real upgrade.

Best,

Per

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:10 PM In reply to

I just purchased Media Composer 6.5 in late March, will I be eligible for the free upgrade or will I have to return my version and re-purchase to receive the complimentary upgrade to 7.0?

(SYSTEM 1)MC 8.10.0 Mac OS X 10.13.2 iMac 27inch Late 2012 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz , 32GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive, NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:11 PM In reply to

digitaldenial:
    I just purchased Media Composer 6.5 in late March, will I be eligible for the free upgrade
    No, sorry.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 3 of 12 (166 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller