Latest post Wed, Jul 26 2017 11:41 AM by loki. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 12 2013 1:13 AM

• John Adams
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 23 2013
    • Vancouver, BC
    • Posts 59
    • Points 670

editing multiple clips metadata

Is it possible in MC 6 to edit metadata for multiple clips at same time?

as per this example (@ 1:18) >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIcjPrXPC-Y

I'm getting no joy from my version. MC 6.5.2 on OSX 10.8.2

thanks

Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Mar 12 2013 1:22 AM In reply to

• John Adams
    • Not Ranked
    • Vancouver, BC
    • Posts 59
    • Points 670

Re: editing multiple clips metadata

Problem solved. The answer is YES. So long as it's just the Comments column (which is OK but it would be better if we could tweak all sorts of columns... Avid, are you listening?)

I was thrown off because my cursor, unlike the one in the tutorial, didn't change to signify text input. It didn't do anything, actually -- just remained an arrow. Turns out that doesn't matter. If you right click the option to set comments for multiple clips is there in the resulting menu.

*booyah!*

• Tue, Mar 12 2013 1:28 AM In reply to

• John Adams
    • Not Ranked
    • Vancouver, BC
    • Posts 59
    • Points 670

I stand corrected about Avid not allowing other columns to be tweaked with multiple clips selected.

I see that they're mostly all editable after you select your clips then hover over the column and right click.

I'm slowly getting this whole Avid thang... Sorry, Avid. You're pretty clever after all.

• Tue, Mar 12 2013 1:54 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,201
    • Points 15,030
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

If you want, you can create five hundred different Comments columns or create new ones and rename them whatever you wish. Bins can work a heck of a lot like Microsoft Excel, with sort-ascending/decending functions. Just scroll the bin headings (all the way to the right of your bin). See how the headings stop in the far right top corner? Put your curser there - in the empty space where you would expect to see a next bin heading - and start typing the name of a new column. Do it again, and again...Thus you can create tons of your own and never use any of Avid's provided bin headings and just use your own custom ones.

It's intentional that most columns can't be tweaked. I don't want Avid to change that on a whim. Pretty much no one does. If every one of my assistants decided to mess around with core metadata, I'd not be guaranteed that my clips would work five years from now on a version of Media Composer released in 2018. Or some malicious idiot intern could destroy a $20,000 online edit of a national documentary by going into the Format column and faking 1080i59.94 footage as 1080p23.976... which changes which decks we rent, render settings, hours or days troubleshooting Avid DS interpolation issues... and so on...

So turn-off all of Avid's columns in the Bin View, use your own, and save your own as Bin Views. You can even export your own custom bin views to a flash drive and use them on every version of Media Composer - all the way back to 1994. Yeah, they listened... that far back.

Man, I feel like a dork, going on and on about bin views. Somebody slap me.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Wed, Jul 26 2017 11:41 AM In reply to

• loki
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 17 2012
    • Posts 25
    • Points 295

You god *** right about bin views. Major feature. No need for slappin' ;)

MC 8.8.4 OSX 10.12.4 MacPro 6,1 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller