Latest post Fri, Oct 5 2018 7:09 AM by frediko. 47 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 5 2018 11:44 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,372
    • Points 96,860

Re: Media Composer Transfer modes/Layer blending

The really dumb thing is that very little development should be required.  The algorithms used are widely available and in the public domain.  Sample code in various C derivatives, Pascal and Python are available, but you don't really need those.  I've written several effects using the algorithms or my own variants of them for another NLE and none of the fully debugged blend effects took more than a few hours to implement.

I'm an amateur, Avid.  If I can do it surely you can, with the resources at your disposal.  There must even be commercial libraries available if you don't want to do it yourself.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 6 2018 7:49 AM In reply to

• frediko
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 27 2008
    • Norway
    • Posts 76
    • Points 995

Getting pretty desperate for getting blending modes back, so should we just try to make it happen?

Let's try to connect Avid with the right person to make this happen sooner than later :)

DMN Transfer - the free third party plugin for older versions of Avid (worked up until 64bit) was made by Profound Effects Inc.
    http://images.digitalmedianet.com/projects/profoundeffects/plugins/free_plugins.htm

...some googling later.
    Paul Miller made this! He also worked on Elastic gasket! (AE plugins in avid). He worked for Avid for a while as well, and is now partner at Silhouette FX and Digital Film Tools. Wow, this guy has made a lot of awesome stuff. Also worked on Elastic Reality - the morphing application, and Useful Things for AE as well as the DFT plugins.
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/fxtech

Anybody know him and want to pitch "FXtech transfer for Avid"? Or perhaps better, get Avid to connect with him? :)

Mostly hp z420/440 on Media Composer 8.x and Symphony 8.x Also Dell Precision m3800 | Win 10 | 16GB memory | Quadro k1100 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 5 2018 7:09 AM In reply to

• frediko
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 27 2008
    • Norway
    • Posts 76
    • Points 995

Has anyone heard anything from Avid about this - officially or on tradeshow floors? Would be very interesting to know. "Under investigation" sounds promising at the same time as far away.

Have you seen this?
    https://youtu.be/m4oLkkTxhu4?t=102

The upcoming global DVE effect is a direct solution to a longtime problem. Our wish is that there could be a similar solution for transfer mode. Hopefully an addition that could be added to the effect palette without needing to complicate other developing of the media composer software.

Mostly hp z420/440 on Media Composer 8.x and Symphony 8.x Also Dell Precision m3800 | Win 10 | 16GB memory | Quadro k1100 [view my complete system specs]
Page 4 of 4 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller