Latest post Mon, Jan 29 2018 5:25 PM by briMestone. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 22 2013 11:19 PM

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 30 2009
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 70
    • Points 825

ISISClientManager, mount workspace through terminal?

Hi

Doing a semi-automated backup thingy here and want to mount workspaces through OSX terminal? What I'd like to do is something like:

rneo:MacOS henced$ pwd

/Applications/AvidISIS/ISISClientManager.app/Contents/MacOS

rneo:MacOS henced$ ./ISISClientManager --user henrik --password yadayada --mount *projekt

The Client Manager does not seem to take any flags/switches. Is this posible in any way at all? Support can't find any documentation about it and apparently they can't talk to anyone else then their big database. =/ Cheers

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

• Wed, Mar 27 2013 5:23 PM In reply to

• Ryan Johnson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 12 2006
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 30
    • Points 390

Re: ISISClientManager, mount workspace through terminal?

Hi there-

Any answers on this? We were looking to do the same thing...

I had attempted to build an Isis File Gateway, which is an intermediate server that provides access to Isis workspaces via FTP or SMB. I had hoped that the gateway software would automatically mount a workspace based on an FTP login, but apparently this is not the case. Somebody still needs to manually map a workspace to a drive letter, then share it.

Please let me know if you find any solutions.

Thanks!

-rj

MacPro's, OSX 10.11.6, MC 8.8.2, Isis 5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 27 2013 6:13 PM In reply to

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 70
    • Points 825

Hi Ryan

No luck what so ever. My discussion with support wasn't the best and the case didn't end up with the most tech savvy dude... =/

SUPPORT:

This should work in theory, unfortunately this has not been tested by enginnering and therefore is not supported. I performed a quick test on one of my macs and was able to launch via terminal by inputing the command "open -a ISISClientManager". But as far as being able to log in and mount workspaces, I am not sure if that is possible and unfortunately we have no documentation on this. 

ME:

"open -a" would actually not even be remotely close to a bash solution since all that does is to open an application from terminal in it's GUI mode just like when you double click it.

I want something more like this...

/Applications/AvidISIS/ISISClientManager.app/Contents/MacOS
    rneo:MacOS henced$ ./ISISClientManager --user henrik --password yadayada --mount *projekt

Oh well, i guess I have to ask at the usergroup/forum if support doesn't have info about it.

Cheers

SUPPORT:

good luck!

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

• Tue, Apr 16 2013 5:05 PM In reply to

I'm looking for a similar solution.  I'm running backup software called Retrospect and it doesn't see the ISIS mounts.  Retrospect has the ability to backup through a network, but only through SMB.  Retrospect doesn't support Unity.  If I can find a way to share the ISIS volumes through SMB, it would work.

Avid Media Composer 4.0.5.2, Nitris, PowerMac 2x2.8Ghz Quad-Core Xeon, 6GB 800MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM RAM, OSX 10.5.6, 300GB internal HDD, 4TB RAID (2x 1.8TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 16 2013 5:13 PM In reply to

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 70
    • Points 825

That's odd. OSX or Win? On OSX they are presented just like normal mounts in /Volumes but of type AvidUnityISIS. Not sure what retrospect expects when it comes to type of a volume but I use apps like ChronoSync just fine with ISIS and I have archived with Archivware from ISIS too. In your case I would contact Retrospect support and ask what's up with that. IIRC Retrospect can archive from regular StorNext SAN and other Volumes seen in OSX so I see no real reason for it not to work.

Sorry for sidetrack but I got carried away.

Cheers

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

• Tue, Apr 16 2013 5:25 PM In reply to

I've been able to use a net use command in windows to connect to ISIS and mount a volume to a drive letter - so it is possible to do it in Windows...I'm just not sure about OSX.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Tue, Apr 16 2013 6:26 PM In reply to

OSX.  It can see external hard drives, but not ISIS volumes mounted.  Doesn't make a lot of sense.  In Retrospects manual it does state that it can backup through a network, but through SMB.  I have already contacted Retrospect and its official response is that it doesn't support Unity, so ISIS must be the same.  I need to find a way to share all the volumes through SMB.

Avid Media Composer 4.0.5.2, Nitris, PowerMac 2x2.8Ghz Quad-Core Xeon, 6GB 800MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM RAM, OSX 10.5.6, 300GB internal HDD, 4TB RAID (2x 1.8TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 16 2013 8:52 PM In reply to

an ISIS file Gateway server allows for SMB/CIFS shares of ISIS workspaces to be mounted without the need of an ISIS client installer.  you can also use it for FTP access.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Tue, Apr 16 2013 9:11 PM In reply to

Where can I get info on setting this up?  Thanks!

• Tue, Apr 16 2013 9:26 PM In reply to

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 70
    • Points 825

2nd hit on google. ;)

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/User_Guide/en348225

Moar hardware...!

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

• Thu, Aug 1 2013 6:40 PM In reply to

• briMestone
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2005
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,570

The ISIS installer drops a utility on the /sbin folder

mount_AvidUnityISIS -U <username>:<password> -g WORKGROUP ISIS:VOLUME MOUNTPOINT

its pretty much the same utility they had with the MediaNet days.

6 ISIS5000 split in two environments, 25 MC7+SYM NitrisDX, MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 [view my complete system specs]

------

Ted Simbajon
    http://www.tedsimbajon.com

Head Janitor

• Thu, Aug 1 2013 7:05 PM In reply to

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 70
    • Points 825

w0000t! Thanks man! Really freakin' strange that support doens't know things like this and/or easily can find it in the database that they search in every single time... =/ 

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

• Thu, Aug 1 2013 7:37 PM In reply to

• briMestone
    • Not Ranked
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,570

Well, i completely understand why they won't list that on the documentation. 

This requires certain level of guts and attitude to safely use it. Big Smile

6 ISIS5000 split in two environments, 25 MC7+SYM NitrisDX, MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 [view my complete system specs]

------

Ted Simbajon

Head Janitor

• Thu, Aug 1 2013 8:07 PM In reply to

Thanks!  

I just need to figure out the mountpoint.  I have been typing in: Volumes/workspace, but that isn't working.

mount_AvidUnityISIS -U assist:password -g WORKGROUP isisengine1:workspace /Volumes/workspace

• Thu, Aug 1 2013 8:34 PM In reply to

• briMestone
    • Not Ranked
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,570

does the mountpoint exist?

you may need to add a 

mkdir /Volumes/$VOLUMENAME/

------

Ted Simbajon

Head Janitor

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller