Latest post Sun, Nov 4 2012 10:32 AM by james4ihl. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Nov 3 2012 12:35 PM

• james4ihl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • UK
    • Posts 57
    • Points 725

Xpress Pro Studio HD Upgrade?

Hi all,

Haven't used my Avid system for years since becoming a screenwriter by trade, but need to cut an indie feature I'm directing soon. Will be shooting on the ubiquitous 5Dmkii and wondering if-

a) my current Avid setup (Xpress Studio HD 5.2.1, HPxw8200 3.4GHz DP, 2GB RAM, Quadro FX-1400, 2x500GB Internal HDD, G-Raid 500GB external) will handle the footage (is there a format I should transcode to for easier editing/compatibility, and a tool to do this)? I'm not sure if that's the last version I have download rights to, or simply the last one I installed, how do I check?

b) if not, what's the current upgrade path and will I need to upgrade the PC too?

c) in either case, I need to be able to upgrade the OS, as I had the luxury of leaving this as a dedicated edit machine back in the day, but will need it for other film related tasks and to connect to the web. I'm still on XP SP2. Would like to be able to upgrade to SP3 or Win 7, but have no idea about compatibility of QT or a myriad other factors now.

Sorry for the ignorant post but I'm literally years out of date (I had to create some kind of new account to even access the community forums any more!).

Best,

James

Xpress Studio HD Essentials HPxw8200 3.4GHz DP/ 2GB RAM Quadro FX-1400 2x500GB Internal HDD G-Raid 500GB external partitioned to 2x200GB and 1x100GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 3 2012 12:48 PM In reply to

Re: Xpress Pro Studio HD Upgrade?

Hi James,

james4ihl:
    my current Avid setup (Xpress Studio HD 5.2.1, HPxw8200 3.4GHz DP, 2GB RAM, Quadro FX-1400, 2x500GB Internal HDD, G-Raid 500GB external) will handle the footage (is there a format I should transcode to for easier editing/compatibility, and a tool to do this)?

It's probably powerful enough, as the 8200 isn't that old.  I don't remember if DNxHD resolutions are available in Xpress Pro, but if they are I'd try importing some test clips at DNxHD 120 and see how they perform.

If DNxHD isn't available, what choices are listed?

james4ihl:
    I'm not sure if that's the last version I have download rights to, or simply the last one I installed, how do I check?

You should have the Dongle Manager utility in the Utilities folder.  That'll tell you what version you're authorized for.

james4ihl:
    if not, what's the current upgrade path and will I need to upgrade the PC too?

http://shop.avid.com/store/product.do?product=307958492843472

You'd need to be running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, but I think the rest should be ok.  Check the system requirements to make sure:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/media-composer#specifications

Hope that helps somewhat.  I'm sure other people will chime in regarding how feasible all this is.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Nov 3 2012 1:03 PM In reply to

• james4ihl
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 57
    • Points 725

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the reply!

OK, if my current setup is likely powerful enough that's great - I have other film budget concerns, as you might imagine!

I've checked on the dongle, which says 5.1, but I remember downloading later authorised versions than that on the Avid site back in the day and currently running 5.2.1 - is it because I haven't had that computer on the internet, so the dongle app never knew it was upgraded? I don't know if that makes sense- sorry so long I've forgotten how this works, it's like a previous life. Hope I can remember how to cut, but I'm guessing it's like riding a bike ;)

OK, assuming I stay with the latest version of Xpress Pro HD I'm allowed on my dongle for now, did you mean I can still upgrade the OS to Win 7 Pro 64, or was that only if I upgrade to latest MC?

Yes, DNxHD was available I believe, from memory that's why I went for the HD version at the time - although iirc, the limitation in Xpress Pro at the time was that you couldn't encode from tape to DNxHD directly, only edit footage which was already in that format? I'm assuming with today's tapeless workflow, it's quite normal to carry out encoding/transcoding first with 5D type footage anyway, but don't know which tools are considered best...

Cheers,

James

Xpress Studio HD Essentials HPxw8200 3.4GHz DP/ 2GB RAM Quadro FX-1400 2x500GB Internal HDD G-Raid 500GB external partitioned to 2x200GB and 1x100GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 3 2012 7:26 PM In reply to

• CliveSmith
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 22 2006
    • South Africa
    • Posts 306
    • Points 3,620

Hi James

Just a comment on your OS... This version is only certified for XP SP 2 and definitely not Windows 7.

You are aware that Xpro was end of lifed about 2 or 3 years ago?

I still use my Xpro ( the same spec of software and machine as yours ) for SD work, but personally wouldn't use it for HD, if the deliverables are HD.  If you intend to deliver SD, then I would use something like Squeeze to transcode it to a mov file and post in SD.

• Sat, Nov 3 2012 7:37 PM In reply to

• CliveSmith
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 22 2006
    • South Africa
    • Posts 306
    • Points 3,620

Just a further thought... Avid made an upgrade path to MC available, but I am not sure if this is still available now.  I am sure someone else can confirm this.

It was a  very good deal and might be worth considering if you intend to in and out HD?

• Sun, Nov 4 2012 10:32 AM In reply to

• james4ihl
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 57
    • Points 725

Hi Clive,

Thanks for that. Yeah I'm aware Xpro was discontinued, but had no need to upgrade at the time since I wasn't editing. If the upgrade path is still available, I'd be interested, but can't really afford to do so if it means having to upgrade the PC also- might have to max-out the version I have and live with it. Useful to know that I can't upgrade past XP SP2 with Xpro though, thanks! Yes, deliverables will be on HD.

Cheers,

James

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller