Latest post Mon, Oct 8 2012 6:34 AM by camoscato. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 5 2012 4:31 AM

• deslog
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 30 2006
    • Noosa, Queensland, Australia
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,160

How do I insert a sequence into my timeline?

I have a timeline with pics and video and I want to insert a sequence I created that has moving thumbnails in it.

I created the thumb sequence on it's own but still in the same project. Now I want to drag the sequence in to my main seqence but still retain the transparancy so the rolling thumbs move over my main sequence media. I used to just drag the sequence from the bin straight in and on the timeline with Liquid 7.2. Any help very appreciated.

MAIN SYSTEM Dell precision M4700,17-3720QM 2.6 GHz, 20Gb RAM,Main drive SSD 250GB 500 Mb/s Samsung, 2nd Drive SSD 240GB 500 Mb/s, Graphics card - NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 5 2012 5:04 AM In reply to

Re: How do I insert a sequence into my timeline?

Load the sequence into the Record window.  Patch the tracks you want to use, and "Overwrite" the sequence over the one in the timeline.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 & nVidia v331.65, 2TB Boot,... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sun, Oct 7 2012 9:43 PM In reply to

• deslog
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,160

My original thumbs tmeline had about 7 layered video tracks. When I brought it in to my main sequence it included all the video tracks just as if I had copied all the clips and pasted them into the main sequence.

What I mean is that I want to bring in the total composite of all the tracks and bring them in as one track with transparancy otherwise I might as well just create all the tracks in the one sequence. it was so easy in Liquid. Am I missing something?

MAIN SYSTEM Dell precision M4700,17-3720QM 2.6 GHz, 20Gb RAM,Main drive SSD 250GB 500 Mb/s Samsung, 2nd Drive SSD 240GB 500 Mb/s, Graphics card - NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 7 2012 9:54 PM In reply to

deslog:
    I want to bring in the total composite of all the tracks and bring them in as one track with transparancy...

The collapse function may be what you want.  Mark in and out around the selection you want to be on one track, enable the tracks you want to include in the one track, then press Collapse.  The portion you marked will now all drop down to one track.

You could either do this to your composite sequence prior to editing it into your main sequence, or you could do it after editing your composite sequence into the main sequence.  Either way, you'll end up with your 7-layer composite on one track.

Media Composer 8.9.2 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Oct 7 2012 11:55 PM In reply to

• deslog
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,160

How do I un-collapse my thumb sequence?

• Mon, Oct 8 2012 12:43 AM In reply to

• deslog
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,160

Thanks, it worked!

If I go back to the original thumb sequence and change anything will the changes be reflected in the same inserted sequence on my other main sequence?

• Mon, Oct 8 2012 6:34 AM In reply to

deslog:
    How do I un-collapse my thumb sequence?

You can't.  If you want to get back to the clips that make up the collapsed section, you have to step into the collapse effect (step in and out are the black up and down arrows at the bottom left of the timeline).

deslog:
    If I go back to the original thumb sequence and change anything will the changes be reflected in the same inserted sequence on my other main sequence?

No.  Duplicates of a sequence (which is kind of what this is) don't retain any relationship with the original sequence.

Media Composer 8.9.2 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller