Latest post Wed, Sep 26 2012 12:06 PM by camoscato. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 26 2012 12:06 AM

Bad quality inside of Avid

Hi there. I am a film student who has previously used Avid. On my current university however we use Final Cut Pro. But I have still been wanting to use Avid, because it is the program I knows the best. It has been a few years since I have really been editing, and I have now upgraded to Avid Media Composer 6.5. Here comes the problem:

Whenever I import HD video from my SD card, the quality inside of Avid does NOT look like HD. The colors are pale and it does not look good at all! This has not been the case when I import it into Final Cut. I have tried to export it in Avid, but has not have any good luck with that either. Could someone tell me what is the best way to export? And do I need sensor squeeze to prepare it or to format it afterwards?

Could someone please tell me? because I don't want to lose the HD quality!! And I am kind of in a hurry because my film has to be done for Monday.

I would appreciate any help!

Regards,

Anette

Filed under:
  • Wed, Sep 26 2012 11:04 AM In reply to

• Dan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 12 2011
    • UK
    • Posts 231
    • Points 3,165

Re: Bad quality inside of Avid

Hi Anette,

I always AMA (Avid Media Access) link to the files rather than importing - then transcode (highlight all the AMA linked files then right click and choose transcode) using Avid's DNXHD codec. This should give you better colours. You may be importing with the wrong settings but the AMA way of doing it should help eliminate this.

To export I would export as a Quicktime 'Same as Source' (you'll see the option when you go to export - it will make a big file depending on the length of your film so make sure you have room) and experiment with the colour space (either RGB or 601/709) -  I believe you should export in the same colour space as the camera recorded in - if you don't know, try a small section of both and see what looks better.

You haven't mentioned what final format you want the film in - is it on DVD/Bluray or for web or digital playback? Either way, for simplicity use Sorenson Squeeze (import the Quicktime Same as Source) and one of the presets for whatever final format you need.   

That's how I usually do it anyway, hope that helps.

Symphony 8.5.3 Windows 7 pro 64bit. Intel Core i7 2600k. 16GB RAM. Nvidia Quadro fx5500. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 26 2012 11:55 AM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles Ca
    • Posts 2,072
    • Points 22,280

there is a quality button on the bottom left side of the gui  it it green, full rez ,yellow low rez, or split green and yellow half rez  

macbook pro i7 2.5 16 gig ram 750gig hd 2tb fw800 20 tb e-sata raid Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Wed, Sep 26 2012 12:06 PM In reply to

Hi Anette,

Please don't post the same question multiple times.  Anyone who wants to help follow this link:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/113118.aspx

ciao,
    Carl

Media Composer 2018.1 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller