Latest post Sat, Feb 9 2019 5:51 PM by knejmann. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 26 2012 5:06 PM

• Alcy
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 10 2009
    • Posts 1,002
    • Points 12,975

Shortcut for applying color correction/grading to multiple clips at once

Lately I've found myself drag and drop my color correction/grading to one clip at a time. It's getting tedious. Is there a way to drag and drop the CC/grading to more than jut one clip at a time? Perhaps from In/Out? Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Avid MC 8.1

Windows 8.1

HP Z800
    Dual Intel Xeon E5530 2.4GHz
    24GB RAM
    SAS 320GB @ 15K RPM OS Hard Drive
    1TB HD and 1.5TB HD Internal
    Nvidia Quadro FX 3800

• Sun, Aug 26 2012 6:26 PM In reply to

Re: Shortcut for applying color correction/grading to multiple clips at once

You can do the same as with other Avid effects. Drag the effect icon into a bin, With the segment mode lasso or select all the clips you want to add the CC effect to and double click on the CC effect you dragged to the bin.

Renaming the effect would make it easy to have various versions of your CC correction effect available for any new media you add to the timeline.

• Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:45 PM In reply to

What Andrew says, or apply the effect to the video track above, separated by insert edits where you want changes.

• Mon, Aug 27 2012 6:06 AM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 183
    • Points 1,990

AndrewAction:
    You can do the same as with other Avid effects. Drag the effect icon into a bin, With the segment mode lasso or select all the clips you want to add the CC effect to and double click on the CC effect you dragged to the bin.

Just remember that this method will replace any effect that is already applied to the selected clips.

Normally you can alt-drag an effect on top of another to create a nest but with the "segment mode double click method" holding alt while double clicking will make one big nest with all the selected clips inside and the new effect on top.

I whish there was a way to build individual nests this way but I don't think there is(?)

Media Composer 2018.12.1 - Windows 10 - Dell 8520 - Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist Color. Plus a lot of HP Z420... [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

• Mon, Aug 27 2012 12:35 PM In reply to

• Alcy
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,002
    • Points 12,975

AndrewAction:

Renaming the effect would make it easy to have various versions of your CC correction effect available for any new media you add to the timeline.

Awesome! That works! Okay, so to remove all these CC, do I just lasso all of these clips and click remove effects?

Avid MC 8.1

Windows 8.1

HP Z800
    24GB RAM
    Nvidia Quadro FX 3800

• Mon, Aug 27 2012 12:37 PM In reply to

• Alcy
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,002
    • Points 12,975

knejmann:

Just remember that this method will replace any effect that is already applied to the selected clips.

Normally you can alt-drag an effect on top of another to create a nest but with the "segment mode double click method" holding alt while double clicking will make one big nest with all the selected clips inside and the new effect on top.

I whish there was a way to build individual nests this way but I don't think there is(?)

Thanks, knejmann, for the additional tip.

Avid MC 8.1

Windows 8.1

HP Z800
    24GB RAM
    Nvidia Quadro FX 3800

• Mon, Aug 27 2012 12:43 PM In reply to

Alcy:

AndrewAction:

Awesome! That works! Okay, so to remove all these CC, do I just lasso all of these clips and click remove effects?

Yes, that's exactly what you do.

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Aug 27 2012 12:47 PM In reply to

knejmann:

Not quite sure what you mean by that, but it is possible to apply one effect separately to a group of clips by segment selecting the clips and CTRL (CMD on Mac) double clicking the effect icon. That effect will then be individually applied to each segment selected, instead of one effect globally across the entire range of selected segments, the way ALT (OPT on Mac) double clicking will do.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jan 22 2013 4:30 PM In reply to

• Jason Watt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2012
    • Pagosa Springs, CO
    • Posts 17
    • Points 255

I'm working on MC 6 MAC

I've been trying to do this but it's not working - the strange thing is that it has worked on other projects in the past but currently it hasn't for me - is there a selection or something in the settings that needs to be selected for it to apply?  Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have a multicam sequence in which the clips have been commited.

I have camera A and camera B footage

I have color corrected the first clip of camera A and dragged the setting over to the bin

Using Shift-left click with the red arrow icon, I have selected multiple clips in the sequence that I want to apply the color correct effect.

I move my mouse over to the bin to the effect and double click on it - and - it does not apply it to the selected clips.  

I have tried first highlighting the effect in the bin - double clicking on the name of the clip (the cursor appears as an arrow) or clicking on the effect icon (cursor appears as a hand) and each time it doe not work.

We have multiple MC 6 work stations and open this on another one - and it doesn't apply on he other stationst.  However other projects opened on this other station do work and as I said on other projects (but not recently) I have been able to apply this shortcut - so I'm wondering if something needs to be selected in the Settings.

This shortcut is a real time saver so I'd like to get this figured out - thanks for any help with this...

MC 6 - Mac OS X V 10.7.4 - Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 GHz-6-Core Intel Xeon, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC, ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB, KONA LHe+ AJA [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 22 2013 4:42 PM In reply to

Jason Watt:
    other projects opened on this other station do work and as I said on other projects (but not recently) I have been able to apply this shortcut

Sounds like your project settings may be corrupt.  The post below explains how:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/36514.aspx

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Tue, Jan 22 2013 5:12 PM In reply to

• Jason Watt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2012
    • Pagosa Springs, CO
    • Posts 17
    • Points 255

Thanks Carl - I created a new project then opened the bin from the other project and it worked, thanks for the link to the post about corrupt projects.

MC 6 - Mac OS X V 10.7.4 - Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 GHz-6-Core Intel Xeon, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC, ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB, KONA LHe+ AJA [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 22 2013 5:17 PM In reply to

You're welcome! Smile

• Tue, Jan 22 2013 8:48 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

Alcy:
    Is there a way to drag and drop the CC/grading to more than jut one clip at a time? Perhaps from In/Out?
    If you just need to grade a range of clips from in to out, on an empty layer above your cut, place an edit at either end of the range that you wish to correct.  With that layer selected, do your colorgrade.  It will correct the entire range of clips underneath that layer.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 16 2014 8:14 PM In reply to

• ryguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 30 2009
    • Posts 141
    • Points 1,995

Juris Eksts:

What Andrew says, or apply the effect to the video track above, separated by insert edits where you want changes.

I have been trying to do exactly this and it won't work. I get a error message that says "effect does not apply". This is strange because I do exactly this for adding a TC Burn but color correction it doen't want to work!

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Main Workstation: Dell Precision T7600, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E5-2687W @ 3.10GHz 2x, 64GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 4000, Running Avid Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 16 2014 8:27 PM In reply to

ryguy:
    Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

How, exactly, are you applying the CC effect?  Is there anything else on the track you're trying to apply the effect to?

On my system (MC8 w/Symphony option) I can click and drag a Color Correction effect from the Image category of the Effect Palette to a filler track, and I can save that CC effect to a bin and apply it from the bin to a filler track, but I can't add correction to a filler track while in Color Correction mode.

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller