Latest post Sun, Aug 5 2012 12:27 AM by jwrl. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 4 2012 2:28 PM

• G. Barrera
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 8 2012
    • Posts 9
    • Points 115

Effect that looks like Stop Motion?

Hello Avid Community,

In AVID MC6 does anyone know of an effect I can apply that can give me the look of stop motion?

I have about 5-7 of seconds of NON-Animated Video that I would like to achieve this look with and would rather do it in post. Versus shooting stills and creating the stop motion video that way, which I will do if there is no effect to achieve a similar look. 

If so please let me know the name of the effect(s) and if you know of any tutorials on it. Thanks so much!

G. Barrera

• Sun, Aug 5 2012 12:08 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

Re: Effect that looks like Stop Motion?

If you want the video to strobe, simply put a motion effect on the clip.  Set the speed to 100%, duplicated field, and the strobe to 2 or 3 frames.  The motion will become very "steppy" and lose some vertical resolution.

What that won't do is make the frame jump around way that true stop motion does.  You can achieve something similar by duplicating your motion changed footage to another layer.  For example if your original footage is on V1 copy it to V2.  Drop a picture-in-picture (PIP) effect onto the V2 layer.

Open the PIP in the effects tool and resize it to 100%.  Offset the image slightly vertically and/or horizontally.  Now place a keyframe on the foreground setting, advance one frame, and place another keyframe there.  Adjust the foreground setting to 0%.  Advance another few frames and place a keyframe again.

What you should now have is one keyframe at 100%, followed by two at 0%.  Select them all and type Ctrl-C to copy them.  Advance a frame after the third keyframe and type Ctrl-V to paste.  You will now have six keyframes.  Repeat as often as necessary to fill the clip.

If you wish more complexity, duplicate V2 to V3, trim the horizontal and vertical positions and offset the keyframes.

Finally you can change the timing of the keyframes to make the effect more eratic and more natural looking.

I'll leave it to you to work out how to simulate the exposure variability that you get with true stop motion.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 5 2012 12:27 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

Re: Effect that looks like Stop Motion?

By the way, since you don't have your system details in your profile in the above post I assumed that you were working with a Windows system.  If you're not anywhere I've said Ctrl-C or Ctrl-V should be Command-C and Command-V.  Sorry for any confusion.

By the way, I would strongly recommend putting your system info in your profile.  It helps people trying to help you enormously.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller