Latest post Wed, Aug 8 2012 7:27 AM by carlgmi. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 2 2012 4:45 PM

Avid FX - Animating path shapes

Hi everyone,

Am gradually getting to grips with Avid FX but still green. My latest problem is in controlling the animation of a spline object that I have created.

Although I can create a shape and then animate it by tweaking the control points further down the timeline, I can't seem to access the keyframes of the shape in order to change the pace of the animation or simply to delete an early part of the animation that I don't like.

I also don't know how to swipe a group of control points and move or rotate them separately from the rest of the group. I can shift click them but that's a bit laborious.

Maybe these things aren't possible but I have a background in DS where this was standard and very useful.

Thanks a lot for your help. I imagine that Douglas will know the answer to this.

John

• Fri, Aug 3 2012 8:17 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 517
    • Points 6,365

Re: Avid FX - Animating path shapes

The keyframes of the shape are burried further down the layer stack.  If you expand the spline object layer, look for the layer called "path" and the keyframes here control the annimation of the shape.  I find this aspect of FX quite frustrating at times as there is no indication on the spline layer that you have added keyframes, often unintentionally, and then you have to go digging to find them.

As for multilple control point swiping - sorry, cant help here as I've always shift+clicked them, perhaps because I couldn't find a way either...  If you discover the answer please post!

MC5 Win 7 64 with Dongle, 2xQC Xeon, Tyan 5400XT, Quadro FX3500, Adaptec RAID 5-4x1TB, 4x2TB, 8G RAM, Creative Audigy, Matrox MXO Mini. Protools and XSI... [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

There ain't no flow without smooth IO...

• Mon, Aug 6 2012 9:03 AM In reply to

Thanks for the reply. Starting afresh I can see that this is quite right. I think I must have had a software glitch because I'm sure that the keyframes weren't displaying and I couldn't delete them last time. But when you're a newbie you always run into trouble on the simplest things.

Thanks again. I feel a lot better about the programme now.

• Mon, Aug 6 2012 5:40 PM In reply to

Another set of newbie questions. If I've animated a layer and want to move the whole animation for example higher in the composition window, is there a way to do this without doing it keyframe by keyframe? In After Effects you simply select every keyframe in the animation and then grab the graphic of the motion path in the composition window, moving the whole path up, down, left or right. I haven't found an equivalent in Avid FX.

I can do it by nesting but this isn't so elegant a solution.

Within the same effect, I also seem to be having a problem in that a wipe-on of a graphic that I've nested inside a mask track doesn't move with the transform x and y parameters of a precomp layer in which it's nested. So my wipe doesn't stay in the same place relative to it's parent layer. 

What I've actually done is made an animated arrow that wipes on and then moves. I've precomped this together with a text layer of an interviewee's name. I've then changed my mind as to the positioning and tried to move the whole composition to another part of the frame. The wipe-on of the arrow goes out of position relative to the arrow.

I hope this is clear and thanks for any help out there.

Many thanks,

John

• Tue, Aug 7 2012 6:30 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 517
    • Points 6,365

Hi John

Try annimating a shape that you put in the mask layer of your arrow - I suspect that you are using the crop mask/tools to create the wipe and these stay relative to the screen not the object layer.  You might also look are the nest grouping - what can you nest to minimise keyframe movement and move as groups and what elements need to stay outside the nest to minimise masking annimation issues?  I always create a "master look" fx and save it, then play with the annimations as the nest/path/keyframe messing around always causes me to restore the look once I've worked out exactly how I am going to achieve it!

MC5 Win 7 64 with Dongle, 2xQC Xeon, Tyan 5400XT, Quadro FX3500, Adaptec RAID 5-4x1TB, 4x2TB, 8G RAM, Creative Audigy, Matrox MXO Mini. Protools and XSI... [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

• Tue, Aug 7 2012 2:13 PM In reply to

Thanks again. I had made the wipe out of a simple spline shape animating/growing to cover the arrow. I kind of got round the problem by nesting the set of layers in a container, rather than using the "precomp" button. Now the transparency layer seemed to stay attached to its parent as I wanted it to. Maybe that's standard practise but I don't really know the difference in this program between "pre-comping" and putting something in a container.

Don't quite understand quite how things work or the program's quirks yet. I also think that the help menu isn't great and it renders really slowly. But it's a pretty powerful addition to the Avid setup. Won't need to go over to After Effects or buy expensive plug-ins as much as we used to.

Best regards,

John

• Wed, Aug 8 2012 7:27 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 517
    • Points 6,365

Yes, I'd avoid annimating the spline shape itself and use a static mask and move the layer rather than the nodes in the shape (if I understand what you have done).  Spline point annimation is messy when you have changes to make!

Different containers behave in different ways - they each have their quirks with things like shadows on layers they contain.  Have a play around and you'll see what I mean (hard to explain).  The help files are OK if you know what to ask - isn't that always the problem though!  There are things After Effects can do (in the way it works rather than end results) that make me wish Avid FX would go that extra yard - it seems so close!  If After Effects came up with an Avid plugin I'd install it.  I dont want to go outside of Avid everytime I want to make an effect so I stick to Avid FX until that happens as I am mostly very happy with what it is capable of!  I am told render times are greatly reduced in the latest versions on 64bit.  I have stuck with Avid MC 5.5 and the FX it came with (for now - I have the upgrade ready to install) as the lack of .mov file import into Avid FX is a deal breaker for now.  Over time I am modifying my work flow to allow an easier migration (and hoping they come up with a solution) and once Avid MC 6 is firmly established and de-bugged I'll jump!

Good luck.

Carl

Vote 1 - Dongles.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller