Latest post Thu, Nov 8 2018 2:45 PM by fkurz. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 25 2012 12:19 AM

MC 6 Stabilize problem

I had no problems before Media composer 6, but now, sometimes when I open a sequens that I've used the stabilize effect on, the clips that have been stabilized are a bit messed up.

They seem fine for the most part but then for about the last 20 frames the shot does a soft move up and left. leaving a big ugly background. Every time I re open Avid I have to check every single stabilized clip and re apply the effect if it's gone all screwy.

I can't for the life of me find the cause of it. The keyframes in the stabilize window when looking at the tracking data seem fine but the path takes a massive detour for the last 20 frames or so.

I've sent a few clips out to clients like this by mistake. VERY BAD!

Anyone??

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Wed, Jul 25 2012 4:30 PM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 908
    • Points 11,625

Re: MC 6 Stabilize problem

I have the same issue from time to time. Usually, I delete the stabilize effect and start again with adding it from the effect pallette, and run the stabilizer. Then I geta well stabilized clip. I do not know the reason for the issue - it just happens.

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Wed, Jul 25 2012 11:55 PM In reply to

Yeah that's what I've been doing. Pretty much just re stabilizing each clip. Feels like a big wast of time though, and repeating work I've already done. I'm wondering if it's a bug with the software or some thing that I can fix so it won't happen again?

• Thu, Jul 26 2012 6:18 AM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 908
    • Points 11,625

I think, it appears, when you have run the stabilizer and afterwards set transitions with modifications of the clip's start and/or end.

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Sun, Apr 14 2013 5:45 PM In reply to

• Gary
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Bradley
    • Posts 37
    • Points 500

Unfortunately, this artifact can appear without warning on a clip that has not been disturbed in any way; you can even check your sequence carefully and then find the problem in your exported movie.

As the original poster described, during the last 20-30 frames of the clip the image drifts diagonally partially off-screen.

It reminds me of another bug that showed up in recent versions:  when two trackers are used in an attempt to lock down a shot that has position and size change, the last part of the shot starts rotating.

One possible work-around: once you get a useable stabilized shot, create a video mixdown and put it on an upper track.

(We'd all agree that this shouldn't be necessary.)

Mac Book Pro 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 NVidia GeForce 9400M & 9600 GT 500 GB ATA 7200 rpm drive Plus several other certified platforms [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 14 2013 11:47 PM In reply to

• Sylvain P
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 1,483
    • Points 17,530

Yea, I noticed this issue several times. The video mixdown workaround seems a good one for now.

Media Composer 2018.5 (Symphony Option), ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel i7 2600k, 16G DDR3-1600, PNY NVIDIA Quadro 2000 (353.82), Windows 10 Pro. Boris Red 5... [view my complete system specs]

Sylvain Primeau

Self-employed worker - Les productions Primeau Medias

primeaumedias.com

Radio-Canada/CBC news editor

cbc.ca / ici.radio-canada.ca

• Thu, Nov 8 2018 10:52 AM In reply to

• apeshake
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 20 2013
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Hey if anyone is still listening - did you all submit a bug report for this? (I'm about to obviously). Can't believe this is still a problem more than 5 years later.

I've come across this problem now and again over the years but I'm working on a project now where I'm relying on the stabilize effect more than ever due to some wonky camera kit.

It's really tedious having to re-stabilize two or three shots every day onf the edit. (I should probably have seen this coming and done video mixdowns on them all but I'm workig offline so I wanted to avoid mixdowns)

• Thu, Nov 8 2018 12:15 PM In reply to

• apeshake
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 20 2013
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Oh, looks like there still isn't a bug report process... Please can an administrator escalate this to a bug report? I've come across this issue in various versions of avid probably between 6 and maybe 8.9.4 (not sure, I've moved between edit facilities a lot). I used to think it only happened when editing clip lengths but in the last few days I've had to strip and re-apply stabilize on the same clips without having made any edits to anything on the timeline

Current system is;

media composer 8.4,

windows 7 pro service pack 1

16gb ram

intel xeon cpu E5-1650 0 @ 3.20GHz

Nvidia Quadro 2000

thanks

• Thu, Nov 8 2018 2:45 PM In reply to

• fkurz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 23 2008
    • Posts 31
    • Points 380

I can confirm this bug. I encountered it occasionally also since log time ago. Now I am on MC 2018.2.

Best Regards

Florian

Avid MC 2018.2 symphony option HP Z820 Win 7 64Bit, SP 1 Mojo-DX Interface [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller