Latest post Tue, Jul 17 2018 4:08 PM by MylesOSS. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 13 2012 9:55 PM

• Andrew D
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 13 2012
    • Silver Spring, MD
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Shortcut to rename / accept renamed clip or sequence in a bin

I know this is a simple question, but I'm unable to figure out if there is there a shortcut to rename a clip, and then how to accept that name without it then trying to rename another clip.

In other words, when I have a clip selected in a bin, is there a key I can press to be able to rename a clip (in other programs, this is often simply the return key), and then once I'm done renaming, is there a key I can press to simply accept that name? Right now when I'm renaming a clip and I press return, Avid continues on and is allowing you to rename the next clip – I'd rather it just accept and keep the clip I renamed highlighted.

It varies, but right now I'm on a: Mac OSX Lion 10.7.7 Mac Pro Tower 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 24 GB Ram Avid Symphony 6.5 (v6.5.2) with AJA Kona... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 14 2012 1:29 PM In reply to

Re: Shortcut to rename / accept renamed clip or sequence in a bin

The numeric-keypad Enter/Return key does this (MacBook keyboard - fn+return).

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 9 2012 5:47 AM In reply to

• Gerhard
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 14 2011
    • Posts 15
    • Points 165

Hi,

I'm also interested into renaming a clip in a bin without clicking.

I'm on AVID MC 6 on a Mac Pro and the numeric enter key doesn't work,

any idea why? It just opens the clip in the viewer like with the normal

enter key.

Best regards,

Gerhard

• Sun, Sep 9 2012 6:02 AM In reply to

• Gerhard
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 165

If there is no shortcut for that within AVID, do you know of a possibliity to remap a mouse click

with something like quickkeys? The problem I see is to get the cursor on the clip that has to be renamed.

Any ideas?

• Tue, Apr 30 2013 1:59 PM In reply to

• Tue, Apr 30 2013 2:55 PM In reply to

• Andrew D
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 13 2012
    • Silver Spring, MD
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Since you posted a new response, I figured I'd respond to my original post. Thanks to everyone for the sugestions. I'm not sure if it's my system, but I have found no way to rename a bin in the project window or rename a clip in a bin without clicking on the name. Return does not work. Enter does not work. And command + shift + r does not do it for me either.

I have found return useful where it moves to renaming the next clip in a bin, and enter (on the numeric keypad) confirms the renaming and closes out of renaming the clip.

It varies, but right now I'm on a: Mac OSX Lion 10.7.7 Mac Pro Tower 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 24 GB Ram Avid Symphony 6.5 (v6.5.2) with AJA Kona... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 13 2016 2:04 PM In reply to

• Gerhard
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 165

It's now 2016 and I'm on MC 8.5 on a Mac Pro and there is still no way to rename a clip with a keyboard shortcut?

Seriously?

• Thu, Mar 9 2017 12:43 AM In reply to

It's now 2017.  I'm on MC 8.8.

All I want in the world is a shortcut to rename clips.  I can't automate/macro anything without that feature.  Seems like an easy no-brainer.  

Please please PLEASE add this!

• Fri, Feb 23 2018 9:51 AM In reply to

• Leo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 14 2011
    • Berlin
    • Posts 35
    • Points 345

Its now 2018 :) and im sitting at my edit ass job, clicking waaaaay too much. 

please guys...

2017 iMac i7 24GB RAM 8GB Radeon 580. OSX Mojave. 2011 MBP i7 16GB RAM AMD HD 6750M 1GB Video. OSX 10.11.5 Avid MC 8.8.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 1 2018 10:18 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 220
    • Points 2,330

I macros this by using the “sift selected itemsl command in the macro flow, which places the clip in a relationship to the top left of the bin, that is always predictable for a macro mouseclick 

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 13 2018 3:12 PM In reply to

• MylesOSS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 13 2018
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Is there any news on this? Can Anyone help with entering 'rename mode' on ANY cell row using only the keyboard? I've contacted customer services waiting to hear back from them on this :(

• Tue, Jul 17 2018 4:08 PM In reply to

• MylesOSS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 13 2018
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

I can confirm that there is no way to rename a clip using keyboard hotkeys. Avid customer services got back to be and confirmed that a clip must first be clicked on first and there is no way to select text for the highlighted clip using the keyboard alone.

• Tue, Jul 17 2018 5:13 PM In reply to

None that I'm aware of.  Unless they snuck something into 2018.7

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller