Latest post Sat, Oct 3 2015 2:47 PM by collinedenice. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 4 2012 5:22 PM

• bigtuna
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 265
    • Points 3,330

Adjust Audio faders whilst playing

Hi !

Just upgraded to Symphony running on top end i7 iMac and it appears that I still cannot adjust the audio levels on the audio mixer whilst plating a sequence - is this the case or am I doing something wrong !

I will find it hard to believe that this much requested feature is still not possible in 2012 !

Many thanks

Avid Symphony 6 Mac OS X 10.9.2 32GB RAM 27" iMac 3.4 Ghz i7 256Gb SSD and 2TB HD Thunderbolt G Raid Drives [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 4 2012 5:31 PM In reply to

Re: Adjust Audio faders whilst playing

Do you have the Audio Mix tool set to do live mixing?

Media Composer 2018.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jul 4 2012 5:50 PM In reply to

bigtuna:
    it appears that I still cannot adjust the audio levels on the audio mixer whilst plating a sequence
    Unfortunately, that is still how it works.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 4 2012 10:09 PM In reply to

• bigtuna
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 265
    • Points 3,330

Crikey.

Really ?

That is dissappointing. Why?!!!!!

Avid Symphony 6 Mac OS X 10.9.2 32GB RAM 27" iMac 3.4 Ghz i7 256Gb SSD and 2TB HD Thunderbolt G Raid Drives [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 4 2012 10:18 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,081
    • Points 12,305

bigtuna:

That is dissappointing. Why?!!!!!

Because they've been waiting for you to ask for it before implementing it.

;-)

(I think the real answer is - it was old code and was tricky to implement. They've written new code for 64 bit which should make it easy to add such features but haven't earned enough to justify adding this in yet. Persuade more folks of the other benefits of MC and you may get this feature request. Or you may not.

• Wed, Jul 4 2012 10:19 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,081
    • Points 12,305

bigtuna:
    it appears that I still cannot adjust the audio levels on the audio mixer whilst plating a sequence

actually you can do it in 'automation gain' mode... but not when just playing a sequence. Unfortunately.

• Wed, Jul 4 2012 10:31 PM In reply to

• bigtuna
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 265
    • Points 3,330

Hi

I don't want automation gain functionality - I just want a touch/drag fader/and set new level ability (not automated gain) whilst timeline plays.

Can't believe that Symphony (flagship 64 bit product) can't do this after all these years of people asking for it !

Geeked

Best wishes.

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 3:27 AM In reply to

bigtuna:

Hi

I don't want automation gain functionality - I just want a touch/drag fader/and set new level ability (not automated gain) whilst timeline plays.

Can't believe that Symphony (flagship 64 bit product) can't do this after all these years of people asking for it !

Geeked

Best wishes.

I don't want to take I93 to go to work, but it's really the only way.  It doesn't stop me from complaining about it, but i generally accept it and move on.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 6:45 AM In reply to

If you attach an Avid Artist Mix console, that in fact does allow you to change clip levels without stopping the system.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 5 2012 9:33 AM In reply to

• SchnittKontor_HH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2006
    • Europe - Germany - Hamburg
    • Posts 89
    • Points 1,015

Hi,

when you move the faders in the Artist mix console, it takes twelve seconds for response.

Dan

Geeked

MC /w. Sym 8.9 | AVID Artist | DNxIO | Transport | HP Z820 GEN 1 /Sandy-Bridge, 2x Xeon E5-2687W v1 8-Core 3.1 GHz, 32GB RAM, GUI: Quadro K4200, GPU: 1x... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 5 2012 9:41 AM In reply to

In my experience, that differs with the complexity of the sequence. I agree that it is not fast enough, though.

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 9:44 AM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

bigtuna:
    Unfortunately, that is still how it works.

Sorry for my incorrect answer.  I didn't realize that function no longer works, which sucks.

Media Composer 2018.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 9:45 AM In reply to

camoscato:
    I didn't realize that function no longer works

Did it ever? Not that I know of. Long standing feature request.

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 9:51 AM In reply to

• SchnittKontor_HH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2006
    • Europe - Germany - Hamburg
    • Posts 89
    • Points 1,015

I only adjust a simple audioclip during playing - not a sequence. The change takes 12 sec.

regards

Dan

MC /w. Sym 8.9 | AVID Artist | DNxIO | Transport | HP Z820 GEN 1 /Sandy-Bridge, 2x Xeon E5-2687W v1 8-Core 3.1 GHz, 32GB RAM, GUI: Quadro K4200, GPU: 1x... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 5 2012 10:13 AM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    camoscato:
    I didn't realize that function no longer works

Did it ever? Not that I know of. Long standing feature request.

I must be misunderstanding what the OP wants, because with the Audio Mixer tool set to Auto, I can hit the Record button on the tool, the sequence plays, I can make adjustments while it continues to play, and afterward there are keyframes on the audio tracks corresponding to the changes I made.

I know you guys aren't stupid, so what am I missing? Smile

[EDITED TO ADD]

Ah, I just reread the thread.  If I understand correctly, the requested function would be to have automation gain functionality but without having to be in automation gain mode?  While playing back a sequence, at any point I want I could make an adjustment to the level of a clip and the sequence would continue to play?

My question about this would be whether the change would apply to the entire clip (as it does if you change the level on a clip now), or whether the change should apply from the point the change was made and after that (as it does with automation gain mode)?

Not arguing against, just curious how y'all see it working.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller