Latest post Sun, Jun 10 2012 8:07 PM by mjolnarn. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 7 2012 10:16 PM

Media Composer, Mac OS and Matrox mini conundrum!

Hi all --

We want to upgrade to MC6 and are still running Snow Leopard but would also like to upgrade our Mac OS. I understand a patch came out to make MC6 run smoothly with Lion 10.7.3, but now Apple has released 10.7.4 and software seems out of sync again. A separate problem is that when we tried to use our Matrox mini and client monitor with a trial MC6, the button in the timeline that toggles between 1394 and MX02 disappeared. This renders our client monitor useless. If anyone has advice for which way we should upgrade or a way to make the Matrox mini and client monitor work in MC6, we'd gladly appreciate it!!

• Fri, Jun 8 2012 1:24 PM In reply to

• JimlWalsh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 8 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Re: Media Composer, Mac OS and Matrox mini conundrum!

Hi Brittany

Previous versions of OSX can be downloaded directly from apple, so if you need to stick at 10.7.3 you can update to the correct version from here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1484 . Obviously avoid the auto update until your hardware drivers are updated/compatible.

As far as I'm aware you can't toggle devices in MC 6 like you could in 5. Have you done a complete uninstall/reinstall of your maxtrox drivers since you installed MC6?

• Fri, Jun 8 2012 2:28 PM In reply to

Brittany,

Avid is working on approving 10.7.4.  A few users have adopted it, and I haven't heard anything detrimental yet, but if you do upgrade be advised you *could* run into issues.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Jun 8 2012 8:37 PM In reply to

Thank you both! I don't think we'll opt for 10.7.4 yet since it could lead to issues. The only problem with the 10.7.3 update is that we have to already be operating in Lion, but we are still in Snow Leopard. I wondered if we can buy the base version of Lion and then use that link to update to 10.7.3, but I can't find anywhere to buy a base level, non-updated version of Lion.

We have not tried uninstalling and reinstalling Matrox. If we do, how do we use the Matrox in Avid 6 to show footage from the timeline on our client monitor? Is there a setting in Avid 6 to output the timeline to the Matrox and client monitor? 

• Fri, Jun 8 2012 8:55 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

brittanybellamy0789@gmail.com:

how do we use the Matrox in Avid 6 to show footage from the timeline on our client monitor?

That have been supported beginning with Media Composer 5 , it still works well , the new thing with Media Composer 6 is that also capture is supported .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sat, Jun 9 2012 1:28 AM In reply to

• bustmethat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 20 2006
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,215

Personally, I would advise against upgrading to MC6 yet, especially because of your desire to use the Matrox.  MC6 is still quite buggy, though it's getting better, and the performance with the MXO2 has been a big problem for many users, including myself.  At the very least, I'd wait until the next update or patch, which should be pretty soon.

MC 8.6.0, Mac Pro 3.33GHz 6-Core, 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 9 2012 9:18 AM In reply to

I agree, don't upgade yet if you want to use the Matrox box, it's impossible to edit or even play back a simple sequence.

The reason you didn't see it with the trial version of MC6 is definately because you need to update the Matrox driver to 3.01. You will also need to update the firmware revision. Beware though, if you do this, you won't be able to use it on your older version of MC without downgrading the driver again... I've been through this.

Multiple Mac systems, MAC Pro, MacBook Pro's, OS Sierra, AJA IO 4K, T-Tap. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 9 2012 9:22 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

David Richardson:

I agree, don't upgade yet if you want to use the Matrox box, it's impossible to edit or even play back a simple sequence.

Works well here, I can play out 2 hours ama linked projects with unrendered CC applied, I suggest that you use your free support call, seems to be some problems with your system or setup .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sat, Jun 9 2012 2:02 PM In reply to

• bustmethat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 20 2006
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,215

thanks Tomas, but these problems are well known and widely experienced.  It's not our setups.

MC 8.6.0, Mac Pro 3.33GHz 6-Core, 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 9 2012 7:53 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

bustmethat:

thanks Tomas, but these problems are well known and widely experienced.  It's not our setups.

Ok, so , there must be someting wrong with my Mac , in your opinion, what I´m doing isn´t possible .

Tomas 

• Sat, Jun 9 2012 10:31 PM In reply to

Tomas, here you go again.

The performance issue on the Matrox MXO2 is a serious problem. The OP is probably going to invest money on an upgrade just to realise his/her performance is not on par with what he paid.

I'm sure Matrox and Avid are working on it but since it requires specific changes on the OPEN IO architecture, it is not coming soon.

I know you are a very engaged and helpful on the forum but this is a given issue. 

Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Ghz (Middle 2010), 14 Gbs RAM, Matrox MXO2 Mini, GTX970 OSX v.10.10.1 AVID MC 8.3.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 9 2012 11:14 PM In reply to

My AE uses a qualified Mac Pro with the Mini. New driver shows some improvements, scrubbing with Caps Lock is better, but trimming is still not good enough. His experience is that it slows down, the longer you work, the worse it seems to get.

Just reporting.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 10 2012 8:31 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Job ter Burg:

My AE uses a qualified Mac Pro with the Mini. New driver shows some improvements, scrubbing with Caps Lock is better, but trimming is still not good enough.

Yes, I think that there still is a few things to fix regarding this, also scrubbing with caps lock doesn´t stop at once when the arrow key is released so there still are things that needs to be fixed .

But statements as:

David Richardson:

don't upgade yet if you want to use the Matrox box, it's impossible to edit or even play back a simple sequence.

and

bustmethat:

The performance issue on the Matrox MXO2 is a serious problem.......................

the performance with the MXO2 has been a big problem for many users, including myself.

and

Eduardo Serrano:

The performance issue on the Matrox MXO2 is a serious problem.

is in my opinion not correct

Also

Eduardo Serrano:

Tomas, here you go again.

I know you are a very engaged

I am just telling what I am doing, successfully, with my Mac Book Pro , I do this realtime playing out quite often and my opinion is that it, in these boards , also should be allowed to tell when things works well .

Also , about engagements and regarding you , Eduardo , I can see this from your latest post in another thread, not related to the usage of a thirdparty unit at all, it actually is about ama linking avchd

Link

so I wonder who of us two that are really engaged

Now, about the thing that my system works for playing out in realtime and some of yours ( in this thread ) doesn´t do that obviously leads to a conclusion that it either is my system that have the uncorrect behaviour or yours, I say that it is the latter and, because of that I recommend that free Avid support call, in some of those cases the first thing they will do is to ask some of  you to install a certified OS .

Tomas 

• Sun, Jun 10 2012 9:38 AM In reply to

mjolnarn:
    I am just telling what I am doing, successfully, with my Mac Book Pro

Sure, and otherse are telling what they are experiencing:

bustmethat:
    the performance with the MXO2 has been a big problem for many users, including myself.

So:

mjolnarn:
    there still are things that needs to be fixed .

Yes. Thing is, under 5.5, it was possible to turn the device off for a while during certain editing tasks (in software-only mode), then flip it on when you needed to review on your client monitor. Since that switch is now gone in v6, it's not that great for many users that started with the 5.5/Mini combo and now find their workflows crippled, and have been suffering from that for 6 months.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 10 2012 9:50 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

This is what I initiallly answered to in this thread, I still stand with this comment, again, previewing works well for me

brittanybellamy0789@gmail.com:

how do we use the Matrox in Avid 6 to show footage from the timeline on our client monitor?

That have been supported beginning with Media Composer 5 , it still works well , the new thing with Media Composer 6 is that also capture is supported .

Tomas 

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller