Latest post Fri, Jan 13 2012 3:18 PM by btwien. 17 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 1:59 PM In reply to

• btwien
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 15 2009
    • Mali, West-Afrika
    • Posts 169
    • Points 2,575

Re: 16:9 format to 4:3?

Forgot what I said before. I had to add the 16:9 instead of 4:3 sidebar and leave the
    settings (4:3) as they are...now it looks a lot better!

MC 5.5.3 Academic Version QT 7.7 Working with: PC, Windows 7, SP 1 Intel(R) Core(TM)i7 CPU 950 @3.07GHz 3.06 GHz NVIDIA Quadro 2000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 2:14 PM In reply to

It's only valid to have 4:3 in an SD project. So in an HD project it all has to be 16:9 hence the aspect options are grayed out.

But SD material in an HD project will still have the reformat column option and this will allow you to add pillarbox bars to 4:3 content to allow it to fit and look correct in 16:9 (the only type) HD

The resize option only allows you to change how you manage the pillarboxing and if you want more zoom or not.

Just done a test and a quick bit of maths and if you add a resize effect to a stretched 4:3 shot and adjust the X scale from 100 % to 72% it should add the black bars left and right as the re-format effect does.

Make sure the fixed aspect ratio is unticked or it will make the Y follow the X.

The advantage now is you can adjust the scale of X and Y up a bit if you want to zoom more and have less black bars.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Multiple systems: Symphony V7.0.3 & Resolve Plus FCP... [view my complete system specs]

Pat Horridge
    Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor, ACSR, Apple Certified Support Professional 10.6

Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online

VET      Production    Editing     Digital Media    Blu-ray    DVD
    T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
    www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square  London N1 6US

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Jan 13 2012 3:18 PM In reply to

• btwien
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 15 2009
    • Mali, West-Afrika
    • Posts 169
    • Points 2,575

Thanks for all your help / advice in this...it worked out fine! I will try the resize option this weekend Pat, to see the difference with the reformat one.

The only thing lacking - to close this project - is the output in 3gp / mp4 format for cell phones. I exported the same project in a QuickTime file, but it doesn't show my first sec (faster motion and title) and (moving) end credits well. The original time line / file seems to work well in Avid??

If I export it to wmv, there is no problem and it all shows fine. But that is already too less quality to convert it (again) to mp4/3gp.

It is weird...

MC 5.5.3 Academic Version QT 7.7 Working with: PC, Windows 7, SP 1 Intel(R) Core(TM)i7 CPU 950 @3.07GHz 3.06 GHz NVIDIA Quadro 2000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller