Latest post Thu, Feb 23 2006 4:34 PM by bbristow. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 21 2006 11:02 PM

• bbristow
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 8
    • Points 120

Glint/Glow effect on Text

I am trying to reproduce the effect where there is a Glint/Glow on text that moves around. Like a light on text but it is more organic and waving and with the shine of a glint effect like you get with Sapphire glint. Anyone done this before in AVID?

The image below is close but, when I drop this on top of a copy of the text that I want to keep clean it applies the effect to all layers below. I would pull this off in AE but I don't have a comparable effect.
  • Tue, Feb 21 2006 11:17 PM In reply to

Re: Glint/Glow effect on Text

There's always Sapphire for Avid right?
    MC 8.6.1, Mojo DX, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Wed, Feb 22 2006 2:18 PM In reply to

• glitch
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 1,021
    • Points 12,150

Todd,
    Saphire = $$$$!

Boris will do it but if you don't have that it'll cost you $$$$.
    MacPro "Trashcan" Matrox MX02 MINI MAX MacBook Pro, Black Magic box [view my complete system specs]

Have an issue? Here's a tissue.

• Wed, Feb 22 2006 3:55 PM In reply to

• bbristow
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 120

I don't think it is possible in AVID to do what I am going for. I have both Sapphire and Boris for AVID. The problem is that I want a layer of TEXT that is without the effect below so that only parts of the letters are glowing with a moving matte.

When you put that effect on a text layer above a clean text layer it applies the effect to every layer below.

If anyone knows of a solution in AVID, I would love to hear it.

I am going to have to purchase sapphire for After Effects to pull it off. Here are the results with the trial version of Sapphire for AE.
  • Wed, Feb 22 2006 4:37 PM In reply to

Marquee should be able to work for you as well by simulating a glow using shadows
  • Wed, Feb 22 2006 5:16 PM In reply to

Can you put the clean text layer above the glow layer?  That way the effect would not bleed into it.  Is there no downstream key option in Sapphire to prevent it from bleeding down into the other layers?  I have Sapphire, but it is not currently loaded, so I can't test that at the moment.

Todd
    MC 8.6.1, Mojo DX, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Feb 22 2006 9:38 PM In reply to

• Haze
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 764
    • Points 10,205

Have you tried applying the Sapphire MakeRGBA effect?  This effect when nested with the glow effect should allow you to effect the Alpha only.

Avid DS 11 | Z800, Symphony 6.5 | HP xw 8600, MC 6.5 | HP Z400, Unity Storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 22 2006 11:26 PM In reply to

Yes!  Haze is absolutely right... I forgot about that trick.  There is documentation on Sapphires website about this.

• Thu, Feb 23 2006 12:00 AM In reply to

• glitch
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 1,021
    • Points 12,150

In Bori Red you can create the text and then add the effect to each letter individually. Red is a combination or FX and Graffiti.
    MacPro "Trashcan" Matrox MX02 MINI MAX MacBook Pro, Black Magic box [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Feb 23 2006 2:14 PM In reply to

• Thu, Feb 23 2006 4:07 PM In reply to

• bbristow
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 120

That is actually how I achieved the first graphic. Using the make RGBA. This is the only way to add Sapphire effects to titles or anything with an Alpha channel. The problem is that since the text below has the same Alpha as the text that I apply the effect to, it still affects the text layer below.

When I put the effected layer below the clean text I don't get the same blown out glow because it is then covered up where the text is.

Interesting idea about pulling it off in Marquee. I will have to play with that.

I will also have to play around with Boris Red instead of continuum.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Thu, Feb 23 2006 4:11 PM In reply to

OK... one other thought...

What if one title was O_E  CU_E   and the other was _N_ __R_ .  Then you put the glow on the second title which is only the N and R.  That would make the make the alphas different and prevent the bleed through I think.

• Thu, Feb 23 2006 4:15 PM In reply to

• glitch
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 1,021
    • Points 12,150

Red supports 3rd party AE filters. Not Sapphire though.

• Thu, Feb 23 2006 4:34 PM In reply to

• bbristow
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 120

Using a few letters would work if I wasn't planning on moving the matte across the letters.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller