Latest post Thu, Dec 22 2011 4:40 PM by Robert Goodman . 53 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 17 2011 2:41 PM In reply to

Re: Dual Monitor issues?

Move it to the left side and then physically flip flop the displays..... Smile

MC 2018.9, Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Fri, Nov 18 2011 9:45 AM In reply to

Larry Rubin:

Florian Gintenreiter :

Larry Rubin:
    Please fill out your system specifications.

I would love to, but I can't find where to do it. Also I can't watch the video that is embedded in that linked post. Wouldn't start playing, just a rotating spinner.

Then go here.

I am really sorry, but I can not find where I'm supposed to edit my system specs. When I click my name, I can adjust all sorts of things in my profile, but no system specs. It says "N/A", where they are supposed to go, everything is greyed out and I can't edit frack there. This feature must be extremely well hidden somewhere.

Apple Mac Pro "Twelve Core" 2.66 (Westmere), 48GB Ram, OSX Lion 10.7.2, ATTO UL5D LP SCSI card, Blackmagic Deck Link Studio HD, EasyRaid SCSI... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 18 2011 9:49 AM In reply to

Avid Keith:

I'm sorry for the confusion over this. We have a bug on this which was checked in yesterday, so it will be in the first update to the software.

Good to hear that a bug has been found. The workaround IS annoying, because it messes up lots of other apps' configuration, but at least it works.

Will have to check, if physically switching displays works, but I'd rather wait for a real fix.

Thanks

Florian

Apple Mac Pro "Twelve Core" 2.66 (Westmere), 48GB Ram, OSX Lion 10.7.2, ATTO UL5D LP SCSI card, Blackmagic Deck Link Studio HD, EasyRaid SCSI... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 18 2011 10:00 AM In reply to

• mkhalper
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 5 2008
    • Posts 46
    • Points 540

Seriously, how is it that an issue like this gets through beta testing?  This and other issues and bugs doesn't make Avid look good at all.  I'm very disappointed by Avid with this release.  I was really hoping for something much more refined and robust, but it really just makes me miss FCP more.  This is a time when Avid and Adobe really should get on their game as there's a lot of us former FCP users that are looking to switch permanently to one or the other, and all this release has done so far is make me jump over to Premiere to check it out again.

Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7-3770K, 32GB 2400MHz DDR3 RAM, EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan, 2 x Dell 21:9 UW monitors, Decklink HD Extreme 3D+, Eizo CX240... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 18 2011 10:12 AM In reply to

Kevin Klimek:

Well, an "everything sucks" comment isn't very helpful. I admit it's not perfect, but it is a pretty big step forward.

What did you expect out of this release that you did not find?

I admit I was being emotional. I'm emotional, when it comes to the tools I have to use for HOURS on end every day.

I did expect to find faster rendering and multiprocessing support - one, maybe one and a half of the 12 cores of my Mac are working when rendering or exporting. Not to mention that some kind of background rendering is overdue for MC.

I did expect a NEW SLICK user interface as advertised. Not the same old soviet-era GUI with new button graphics. The tabbing of windows is nice, but why can't I tab everything to everything else? Why is MediaComposer still consisting of dozens of independent windows, that don't "snap" to each other, so one can build himself a proper GUI. klicking "between" windows is pretty easy in the heat of editing and throws you out of the application every time.

*hint* look at the GUI of (the editing wise relatively useless) Premiere Pro *hint*

Media composer GUI looked cool in 1993, when I started out in the business, and it basically looks the same since then. It feels "cobbled-together" with lots of interface incosistencies and quirks aside from aesthetic problems:

There is no anti-aliasing on lots of GUI elements and the kerning is off on a lot of text. I have to look at this day in and day out. I'm a visual person, I like slick neat imaging, but why oh why has the tool I'm trying to do slick imaging with be ugly as hell? Every Mac person out there will kinda understand me. I was so hopefull when AVID announced an interface-redesign and now I'm disappointed. I'd like to have "Final Cut Pro X interface", with Media Composer functionality.

• Fri, Nov 18 2011 10:47 AM In reply to

• mkhalper
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 5 2008
    • Posts 46
    • Points 540

I agree with you 100%.  I'm really disappointed.  I just loaded all my media into Premiere Pro and it's handling it like a charm whereas MC struggles to handle it at all.  I have 452 AVCHD MTS clips in one bin with frames/icons showing up pretty quickly.  With MC I can't load all 452 clips into one bin and if there's even 10 or more in the bin I can take a meal break and come back and I might be able to do some work.  Yes, I'm over-exaggerating that a little bit, but it just tells you how much Avid is struggling to handle clips with AMA. And the Workspaces in Premiere work really well with dual monitors.  I really think Avid is missing the boat with this release.

Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7-3770K, 32GB 2400MHz DDR3 RAM, EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan, 2 x Dell 21:9 UW monitors, Decklink HD Extreme 3D+, Eizo CX240... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 18 2011 11:42 AM In reply to

Florian Gintenreiter :
    am really sorry, but I can not find where I'm supposed to edit my system specs. When I click my name, I can adjust all sorts of things in my profile, but no system specs. It says "N/A", where they are supposed to go, everything is greyed out and I can't edit frack there. This feature must be extremely well hidden somewhere.

I finally fond it. User error in this case, I was expecting to have a link where it says "System Specs", but actually had to drill down in my Profile settings, where I set e-mail and such.

Florian

• Fri, Nov 18 2011 11:54 AM In reply to

mkhalper:
    I agree with you 100%.  I'm really disappointed.  I just loaded all my media into Premiere Pro and it's handling it like a charm whereas MC struggles to handle it at all.

Premiere 5.5 is actually quite robust as long as you don't throw mpg4s at it. Gotta transcode.

• Fri, Nov 18 2011 2:01 PM In reply to

I'd just like to say that our move to 64-bit at the same time of re-writting the UI is a very, very large process. Not easy by any stretch.
    Also, as mentioned, this bug has been fixed and will be with the first update to it.

thanks for your patience.

Thanks

~Keith

- MacPro, 2.66 GHz, 14G RAM; OS 10.8.4; MC DX Nitris; ISIS 4.5 - MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8G RAM, ISIS 4.5 - z800 Xeon 2.93Ghz, 12G RAM, Win 7, DX Nitris... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Fri, Nov 18 2011 5:49 PM In reply to

• Brian Musser
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 25 2006
    • Seattle, WA
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Kevin Klimek:

There is an unpublished workaround, because it doesn't affect many users:

I'm on a pretty typical configuration with two Dell 22" LCDs and no external monitoring.  In Avid 6, no matter what font I select for my bins the text winds up kerned so tight it's unreadable in many places.  After running the AppleFontSmoothing utility all the text within the Avid GUI is so fuzzy it's impossible to look at for extended periods of time without getting a splitting headache.  

I don't know how Avid's font handling got so messed up between 5.5 and 6 but the situation must be corrected before I can green light the roll out of 6 across the company I work for.  (on a side-note: I also like having my OS menu bar on the right monitor and am now forced to have it on the left otherwise the Avid Composer window won't display.

Also, as others have noted, please provide the capability to increase the font size of the text that appears in the settings dialog boxes, effects panel, and in the rows of information at the top of the Composer window.  For years I've been leaning in toward my monitors every time I have to adjust a setting or interact with the info in the Composer window. (BTW - in Avid 6 the info at the top of the Composer window becomes so blurry after running that AppleFontSmoothing script it looks as though someone placed some frosted glass in front of my monitor.) 

Mac Pro 2.66Ghz Quad Xeon, 8 GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce 120 512MB, Dell P2210 (1680x1050), Dell E228WFP (1680x1050), Mac OS X 10.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 18 2011 7:18 PM In reply to

• Tosio
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 24 2010
    • Warszawa, Poland
    • Posts 38
    • Points 530

Quit MC and run the enableFontSmoothing script in theApplications > Utilities > Avid Utilities > AppleFontSmoothing folder.  I think you just double-click on it for it to work.  Then you can launch MC again.

Or if you feel comfortable using the Terminal (and this is what I used successfully), quit MC and launch the Terminal.  Then execute the following command:

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 1

Doesen't work for me. I still have "not found" with second command

Apple iMac 21,5" late 2012: i5 2,7GHz, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.0, GeForce GTX640M, LCD: Benq 18,5" 1366x768 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 18 2011 7:23 PM In reply to

What do you mean you have "not found"?

You are using the Terminal, right?  Not the Avid Console...

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Nov 18 2011 8:57 PM In reply to

• Tosio
    • Not Ranked
    • Warszawa, Poland
    • Posts 38
    • Points 530

Yes, I use OSX Terminal.

When i write 1st command ( defaults -currenHost write -globalDomain) i have like THIS

But when i write second command (AppleFontsSmoothing -int 1) i have like THIS

Apple iMac 21,5" late 2012: i5 2,7GHz, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.0, GeForce GTX640M, LCD: Benq 18,5" 1366x768 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 18 2011 9:05 PM In reply to

It's all one line.  You don't do it separately.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Nov 18 2011 9:24 PM In reply to

• Tosio
    • Not Ranked
    • Warszawa, Poland
    • Posts 38
    • Points 530

Thanks Kevin! I never thought that the solution is so simple ;) Even so, I still can not have a preview on an external monitor. But I didin't have this problem with Avid MC 5.5 or earlier... :(

Page 2 of 4 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller