Latest post Tue, Sep 25 2012 4:46 PM by ilkka. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Oct 8 2011 2:38 AM

• manuelkok
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 7 2011
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Cannot open Project or Bins, Assertion failed: FALSE, file:../../src/filesys/CoreWinFileLocator.c, line:300

Hi, I am an hobbist in doing video editing. Lately, a friend of mine asked me if I can help to resolve an issue happened while reopening a project. My friend has a PC with MC5.5.3 installed. The same message pops out whenever we try to open a project previously created in MC5.5, the box appears with an exclaimation mark says:

Exception: FATAL_ERROR, msg: Assertion failed: FALSE, file:../../src/filesys/CoreWinFileLocator.c, line:300

I have no idea what this means. This seems to result in the program not able to open the Bins that has been created previously. As my friend recalled, the MC5.5 on his PC was running into issue related to insufficient permissions to the AVID ATTIC folders, but after checking the folders' access rights in the properties boxes, this has been resolved. So, I wonder if there has anything to do with the permissions to access the folders? What does it mean by Assertion failed? Can I fix it? I don't think he has been moving any media files around, except moving the project file itself which is located inside separate folder.

Some media files not all of them has been directly ingested via AMA volume, however at this stage, it is hard to trace which media files was imported with transcoded to Avid codec, and which ones were imported via AMA. This project is huge with many media files attached to it. Please can anyone gently give me some advice? Thanks so much!

• Sat, Oct 8 2011 3:05 AM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,851
    • Points 24,235

Re: Cannot open Project or Bins, Assertion failed: FALSE, file:../../src/filesys/CoreWinFileLocator.c, line:300

I had the same issue.  It was related to a corrupt file in the media database.  First, try going into your media drive, Under Avid Media Files>MXF>1 delete the *.mdb and the *.pmr files.  The next time you restart media composer, it will rebuild the database for you.  Should this NOT correct the issue, then there is a corrupt file captured in the database,  In my case I needed to recapture the video files and start the project over.

Hope this helps,

Denny

Media Composer 8.5.4, BCC 10.0.0074, AvidDVD 6.4.4, Boris Red 5.5.2.1382, Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 8 2011 2:09 PM In reply to

• manuelkok
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Re: Cannot open Project or Bins, Assertion failed: FALSE, file:../../src/filesys/CoreWinFileLocator.c, line:300

Thank You v much Denny, I'll try to delete the *.mdb and the *.pmr files in the Avid Media Files>MXF>1 folder as you advice, and will return to this post to report how I am doing, Thanks!Big Smile

• Mon, Oct 10 2011 11:02 AM In reply to

• manuelkok
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Hi Denny, I've followed the steps to delete the specified files from Avid Media Files>MXF>1, there are some strange things happening though. It made me think of the two errors are related to the same issue. As I mentioned before, my friend told me that the MC5.5 ran into issues related to insufficient permissions to the Avid Attic folder path. Now it makes me think of the Project is struggling errors triggered by 2 causes: "Assertion failed" and "Insufficient permissions" are running hand in hand together to cause all these errors.

I am saying this because as I start Avid MC5.5.3 first, then choose to open the project from within the startup menu box, I receive a message saying:

Exception: Can't create a directory, as one of the folders in the path below has insufficient permissions., path:C:\Users\Public\Documents\Avid Media Composer\Avid Attic\"the specified project"

On the other hand, when I go to click on the project file directly (.avp) to open that project, I get another error message delivering the same message I first posted:

Assertion failed:FALSE,file:../../src/filesys/CoreWinFileLocator.c,line:300

Did anyone experience this before? It seems the assertion failure and insufficient permissions issues go hand in hand. I tried to follow the steps in attempt to delete the .mdb and .pmr files in Avid Media Files>MXF>1 folder, and the same thing happens to that specific project. So, as Denny said, do you suggest there is/are corrupted file(s) in the Media Files folder await to be traced and deleted? Thanks v much for any input!!

• Tue, Oct 11 2011 5:08 AM In reply to

why is the project in the attic folder? That folder is used for back ups from your project files by Avid.

Try creating a new project. Open the bins of the old project in the new project and let's hear what happens.
    Also  delete mcstate (avid will recreate that too)  

Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

• Wed, Oct 12 2011 12:55 PM In reply to

• manuelkok
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Thanks for your advice, Hans, regard the Avid Attic folder, actually the project file wasn't in this folder, it is located in a separate drive. I don't understand why it keeps on bothering the Attic folder, I only sees, as you said, the backups of the bins in that particular project.

I have tried creating a project in the same folder as the original one, but no luck in avoiding the insufficient permissions notice. I haven't tried another folder to create a new project though, may be its worth trying too.

I got an idea, how about if I migrate the whole project together with the Avid Media Files to another computer, and see if I can open this project. Can anyone suggest what other folders, probably the Avid Attic folder, in the C drive do I have to copy from the original computer to the destinated computer inorder to safely accomplish a full migration? Thanks in advance!

• Wed, Oct 12 2011 12:59 PM In reply to

manuelkok:

I got an idea, how about if I migrate the whole project together with the Avid Media Files to another computer, and see if I can open this project. Can anyone suggest what other folders, probably the Avid Attic folder, in the C drive do I have to copy from the original computer to the destinated computer inorder to safely accomplish a full migration? Thanks in advance!

You will need to copy the specific Avid project folder and either the entire "Avid MediaFiles" folder, or use a freeware program called MDV which can cluster the specific MXF media files by project at the folder level to copy only the media for that specific project.

When moving media files and folders, be sure to follow the Media Folder Management ground rules:

1) The "Avid MediaFiles" folder (for MXF media) and the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder (for OMF media if you have any) MUST reside at the root level of the media drive, not inside any other folders or the system will not be able to find the media.

2) The folder names must always be the factory default names listed above (minus the quotes) or the system will not be able to find the media.

3) There can be only one of each folder type on any given media drive.

Once you've done that, rebuild the media database. Quit the application, and in each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify as "msmFMID.pmr" and "msmMMOB.mdb". If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Oct 13 2011 2:25 AM In reply to

• manuelkok
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Hi Larry, thanks very much for your reply, I would like to know with transferring the project and its components, do I need to copy also the Attic datas, any folders on the C drive containing the Bin information? I suspect I have to do so or else I might not be able to open the bins that I created inside the project. Thank you very much!

• Thu, Oct 13 2011 6:42 AM In reply to

attic is only a backup for the project so you can move it too but is not necessary. Not sure what you mean with "any folders on the c drive containing the Bin information" When you move the project folder those bins are moved too.

Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

• Thu, Oct 13 2011 11:20 AM In reply to

Manuel:

What Hans said.Yes

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Oct 13 2011 12:54 PM In reply to

• manuelkok
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Thank you very much! I will try to move this project to another computer and reopen it. Hope everything went well! Thanks again very much for all your great help!

• Thu, Oct 13 2011 1:04 PM In reply to

You're quite welcome, Manuel. And if you're also going to move associated media files to a different set of media drives, be sure you follow the Media Folder Management ground rules:

1) The "Avid MediaFiles" folder (for MXF media) and the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder (for OMF media if you have any) MUST reside at the root level of the media drive, not inside any other folders or the system will not be able to find the media.

2) The folder names must always be the factory default names listed above (minus the quotes) or the system will not be able to find the media.

3) There can be only one of each folder type on any given media drive.

And after moving those folders and files, you will need to rebuild the media database to update it to the new file locations. Quit the application, and in each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify as "msmFMID.pmr" and "msmMMOB.mdb". If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Oct 15 2011 4:13 AM In reply to

• manuelkok
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

I see, everything will be automatically doneSmile  Thanks again, Larry and all!! Its of great help

• Sat, Oct 15 2011 4:15 AM In reply to

You're quite welcome, Manuel. We're always glad to help out.Yes

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Sep 24 2012 6:04 AM In reply to

• ilkka
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • nyc
    • Posts 133
    • Points 1,550

i'm picking up an old thread - seems there's no newer ones on this problem, which i just started experiencing.

background:
    went from MC5 to MC6, but then found out that my beloved plug-ins would not work, so swapped back to 5.5. after that maneuver i now get this error if i open a project by double click of the .AVP -file - as i'm used to doing.

i've now done everything that anyone suggested to fix this in the few threads about the matter, which is:
    - repaired permissions on all avid-related directories.

- deleted the MCstatus files / have them rebuild.

- deleted the media database files both on drive C and on the media drives / have them rebuild.

- fixed the avid-related path statement(s) to point to the appropriate directories.

but if i open MC5.5 using its icon and then navigate to the appropriate project folder within its menus, i do NOT get the error. and the project(s) or their media are not corrupt, they open fine with a second workstation that's still on MC5. and after the error message, clicking continue does allow seemingly unhampered access to the project(s).

what does the error message actually try to say in clear english terms?

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller