Latest post Wed, Jan 28 2015 3:04 PM by mivko. 50 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 23 2012 12:16 AM In reply to

• jssamaty
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 29 2012
    • Posts 9
    • Points 80

Re: OSX Lion & Media Drive Issue could result in Segmenation fault error

• Tue, Sep 11 2012 11:26 PM In reply to

Yes Thanks!

Mac OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite Avid MC Vers v8.6.5 with MX02 4.6.0 (Firmware 15) Mac Pro 2.66GHz 12 Core 12GB / 1TB Solid State Drive w/ 48 GB of added ram... [view my complete system specs]

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.." Alice in Wonderland. feelm

• Tue, Oct 9 2012 5:34 AM In reply to

Re: OSX Lion and Media Drive Issue

Hello I am a student in my first year and I keep getting the same problem. I have a OSX 10.8.2 I'm really behind in my class everytime I open Avid it, it crashes saying segmenation fault error. 

What is a writable avid media files folder?

Also, I have changed my settings to read and write on my sharing and permission. It still crashes do I uninstall avid then install it again?

• Tue, Oct 9 2012 5:42 AM In reply to

Hi I just wondering if you ever figured this out? I'm having the same problem...

• Tue, Oct 9 2012 6:12 PM In reply to

http://c2.avid.com/forums/p/101235/583040.aspx

give this a try

Mac OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite Avid MC Vers v8.6.5 with MX02 4.6.0 (Firmware 15) Mac Pro 2.66GHz 12 Core 12GB / 1TB Solid State Drive w/ 48 GB of added ram... [view my complete system specs]

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.." Alice in Wonderland. feelm

• Sat, Oct 20 2012 11:29 AM In reply to

Todd Sanderson:
    For customers that don’t intend to use the system drive for media, they can leave it as is. This is ideal in most cases.  For those that need to use the system drive, they should take the following steps to change permissions:

I'm impressed, and scarred at the same time, that a Moderator can suggest to bypass basic security on the system!!

What should be the suggestion, is to use an Admin account to create the needed Avid MediaFiles folder, and then set the required read/write permissions on that folder, not the complete root of the system drive!!!!!

Jakob Peterhänsel
     Freelance Consultant

• Sat, Oct 20 2012 3:07 PM In reply to

Jakob, that was not a moderator created recommendation, that is Avid's official recommendation for dealing with a segmentation fault error that started with the Lion OS series.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Oct 20 2012 3:48 PM In reply to

Larry Rubin:

Jakob, that was not a moderator created recommendation, that is Avid's official recommendation for dealing with a segmentation fault error that started with the Lion OS series.

Well, that just makes it even worse!

Never ever make users compromice system security as a 'quick fix'!

The right solution is to create the folder Avid MC would like to see there, and make access to that folder.

Jakob Peterhänsel
     Freelance Consultant

• Sat, Oct 20 2012 3:56 PM In reply to

If you feel that strongly about it, then you should contact the Avid office in Denmark from this list.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Dec 24 2012 5:30 PM In reply to

• azpackrat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 7 2009
    • Phoenix AZ
    • Posts 40
    • Points 610

Uh, okay, brand new Mac user here. I'm getting the segmentation error - using Lion - and thought I'd try your solution. So exactly how do I do step one? When I go into the Finder, there is nothing that identifies the system HD, just the components on the drive.

AMC6 v6.0.3 on MacBook Pro 15" OSX 10.7.5 - 4GB Ram 2.4GhZ Intel Core i7 with AMD Radeon HD6770M and external Lacie Media drive [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 24 2012 7:03 PM In reply to

Gary:

Right click on the Macintosh HD alias on your desktop and choose "get info". In the next window, down at the bottom you will see a twirly for "Sharing & Permissions". If you don't have a Macintosh HD alias on your desktop, in Finder go to File>Quick Look "Macintosh HD", then "Open Volume". Right click on Macintosh HD there.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Mar 16 2013 11:49 PM In reply to

• AlexKost
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 16 2013
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Re: OSX Lion/Mt. Lion & Media Drive Issue results in Segmenation fault error

Since you can't highlight the Macintosh HD drive in Mountain Lion, is there any other way to do this? Or is Avid MC 6.0.1 still not properly compatible with OSX 10.8.2?

• Sat, Mar 16 2013 11:53 PM In reply to

Re: OSX Lion/Mt. Lion & Media Drive Issue results in Segmenation fault error

No, 6.0.1 is not compatible with OSX 10.8.2. See this version matrix for complete version/OS compatibility details.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jun 18 2013 2:44 AM In reply to

• mali lina
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 25 2013
    • United States
    • Posts 3
    • Points 10

I have know this now!

• Thu, Aug 22 2013 7:31 PM In reply to

• dkennard
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 2 2012
    • Posts 9
    • Points 130

I'm on Mac experiencing exactly the same problem multiple times daily.  It's happened on every version since MC6, I've tried every update, every patch and made sure I've always had a supported configuration.  I'm now on 7.0 and still get the "segmentation fault 0x0" crashes at least once a day.  

I've made the permissions change mentioned above and maintained the setting on my system drive, but it has never stopped the segmentation fault crashes.  

My clients are getting seriously annoyed with this and I am beyond frustrated.  Have you got a fix for me?  

If there isn't one soon, I'm probably switching to Premiere Pro. I've been testing it extensively since Adobe released CC and have not a single crash.  There's much I would miss about Avid, but the constant crashing (not to mention the extremely sluggish UI...) are slowing me down.  

My system specs are:

Media Composer Version 7.0.0 with Symphony Option

Model Name: Mac Pro 5.1

Processor  3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon

Memory  16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC

Graphics  ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

Software  OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

Many thanks for you help. 

Page 2 of 4 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller