Latest post Wed, Jan 28 2015 3:04 PM by mivko. 50 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (51 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 3 2011 7:40 PM

Idea [I] OS X Media Drive Permissions Issues

With the release of Mac OS 10.7 Lion and 10.8.x Mt. Lion, and 10.9 Mavericks the default permissions for the root level of the system drive of the Mac  are now set to “Read Only” for all users.

This prevents the Editing Application (MC or Symphony) from being able to use this drive as a media drive.

You will see the drive grayed out in Media Creation settings or as an option for import, mixdown, render, and consolidate/transcode or see an error "Segmentation Fault at 0x0"

For customers that don’t intend to use the system drive for media, they can leave it as is. This is ideal in most cases.  For those that need to use the system drive, they should take the following steps to change permissions:

1.    Click on the system (Macintosh HD in most cases) drive to highlight
    2.    From the File menu select Get Info (cmd+I)
    3.    Click the lock icon in the bottom right to make changes
    4.    Click on the “Read only” text in the Privilege column next to Everyone and set the privilege to “Read & Write”

Customers should now be able to see the system drive as a valid media drive.   Note:  repairing permissions on the system drive will reset and they will have to repeat this procedure.

MC 8.6.1, Mojo DX, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Mon, Oct 3 2011 8:05 PM In reply to

Re: OSX Lion and Media Drive Issue

Todd Sanderson:
    With the release of Mac OS 10.7 Lion, the default permissions for the root level of the system drive are now set to “Read Only” for all users.

I'm sure a cursory Googling would get me an adequate answer, but ... how does one install other applications if they're on Lion?  Or do you have to unlock the permissions each time?

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Oct 3 2011 8:35 PM In reply to

This isn't an install issue... it's a render, mixdown, etc, issue.  When you install anything you're prompted for your password.

MC 8.6.1, Mojo DX, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Mon, Oct 3 2011 9:01 PM In reply to

Todd Sanderson:
    When you install anything you're prompted for your password.

Ah.  right.  Here's something fun for anyone who hasn't yet upgraded to Lion (like me)

Years ago I set up a Folder Action that moves any installer files (.dmg, .zip, etc) from the User's Downloads folder over to an installers folder on the Administrator login.  This prevents any downloaded apps from getting installed by the User as it requires them to have the Adminstrator logon and install it.  

I also created a "dummy" Avid MediaFiles folder on any drives that I didn't want media written to.  Seems like Lion may have just simplified all that for me.  

I was also just thinking today that I could possibly create a Folder Action that would throw a prompt up whenever someone did create an Avid MediaFiles folder on the local drives.  For example, 3 edit suites connected to Unity - but one editor captures or imports 4 hrs of material erroneously to their local drive on EditB.  If a Folder Action were to show a warning when it discovered an Avid MediaFiles folder on the local drive, then he likely would correct the mistake before it was too late.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Oct 24 2011 4:23 PM In reply to

• jdw
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 346
    • Points 4,240

Hey Kenton, that is a cool way of preventing writes to the internal.  When we build a machine, we import a file to the internal, delete it and lock off the AvidMedia Files folder to writes.  We also do the same to create the OMFI folder and lock that off. Seems to work well.

MC 8.6.3 OS 10.10.5 ISIS 7000 (4.7.10) [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 23 2011 3:15 PM In reply to

• patric
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 115

Question: How do you create a "dummy" Avid MediaFiles folder

Mac Pro, 10.6.6, 6 core Intel Xeon, 3,33 Ghz, ATI Radeon HD 5770, Avid MC 5.5.2.1, Nitris, 32-bit

• Wed, Nov 23 2011 3:17 PM In reply to

patric:

By naming it "xAvid MediaFiles" (minus the quotes) The "x" hides the folder from the system.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Nov 23 2011 3:43 PM In reply to

Larry Rubin:

patric:

By naming it "xAvid MediaFiles" (minus the quotes) The "x" hides the folder from the system.

Renaming the folder just hides the media inside it. If you create new media and specify the same hard drive, then Avid will see that there is not an "Avid MediaFiles" folder on the drive and create a new one. Creating a dummy Avid MediaFiles file prevents Avid from creating that Avid MediaFiles folder when media is created on the drive. ---------- Here's the process. Make a new document with TextEdit, Save to the drive you want to prevent media from going to as "Avid MediaFiles". Open Finder and navigate to your newly saved Avid MediaFiles.rtf file. Get Info on the file and remove the extension. Click "Remove" on the dialogue box that appears. That's it. Now you have a "dummy" Avid MediaFiles item on the root of the hard drive that will prevent Avid from making a new one at that location. For Windows, it's pretty much the same process, just use NotePad and be sure that your Folder View is set to not Hide Extensions so you can remove the extension. ------------- Also, sorry about the formatting on my posts. I had to switch to Plain Text mode so I could also reply to posts from my phone and it causes all the formatting to go away. Hey Avid, how about making a mobile friendly site?

• Wed, Nov 23 2011 4:49 PM In reply to

• patric
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 115

But won't avid then just go ahead and create an new Avid MediaFiles folder the next time an editor mistakenly selects that drive as a destination.

Mac Pro, 10.6.6, 6 core Intel Xeon, 3,33 Ghz, ATI Radeon HD 5770, Avid MC 5.5.2.1, Nitris, 32-bit

• Wed, Nov 23 2011 4:50 PM In reply to

• patric
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 115

sorry, your answer came up as i was typing my question. Thanks

• Tue, Feb 7 2012 8:18 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,437
    • Points 62,990
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

BTW, if you try launching Media Composer 6 without a writable Avid MediaFiles folder available it will crash on startup.  So if you've got a need to look at a sequence and not the media, you will need a writeable folder available even if it's empty.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Wed, Mar 7 2012 3:40 PM In reply to

You can then make the Creating folder (in Avid Mediafiles -MXF-1) Read-only or No access.

HP Elitebook 8540W, win7 8GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 30 2012 3:12 PM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 17 2006
    • Los Angeles / Hollywood
    • Posts 2,320
    • Points 25,875

Re: OSX Lion & Media Drive Issue could result in Segmenation fault error

A by the way-  if you screw this up-  and the system eats itself,  here's how to fix:

1. Restart Lion and hold down the Command and R keys.
    2. You will boot into the Repair Utilities screen. On top, in the Menu Bar click the Utilities item then select Terminal.
    3. In the Terminal window, type resetpassword and hit Return.
    4. The Password reset utility launches, but you’re not going to reset the password. Instead, click on the icon for your Mac’s hard drive at the top. From the drop-down below it, select the user account where you are having issues.
    5. At the bottom of the window, you’ll see an area labeled ‘Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs’. Click the Reset button there.

The reset process takes a couple of minutes. When it’s done, quit the programs you’ve opened and restart your Mac. Notice that ‘Spotlight’ starts re-indexing immediately.

So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

Filed under: , , ,
  • Sun, Jun 3 2012 7:06 PM In reply to

Ive read through this and many other threads on google search... Is there anything that Works??? I went to go speak to customaer service and I have to pay $10 to talk to them... I bought Media Composer months ago and now ive run into this problem... 

Can someone from Avid step in here and resolve this problem??? my clients are getting angry over the fact that I keep telling them my system keeps crashing!!! this is really setting me back my goals for the summer

• Fri, Jun 15 2012 1:23 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,055
    • Points 105,245
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Dave

I need some more info on your system to help you.  Can you email me off forum.

mariana 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

Page 1 of 4 (51 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller