Latest post Fri, Aug 5 2011 8:57 PM by Pixel Monkey. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 4 2011 8:10 PM

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 983
    • Points 13,005

De interlacing without plugins?

Lets say I wanted to remove the lower field from all the video in my timeline without using any plug ins. How would I do this?

I am a member of The AMA...which stands for the Artist Mix Alliance..I am the only member [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 4 2011 11:26 PM In reply to

• AC_edit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 20 2011
    • San Francisco, CA
    • Posts 38
    • Points 400

Re: De interlacing without plugins?

I'm not in front of the box at the moment, but there is a way that one can deinterlace material once it's in the timeline by adding a Timewarp to a clip (keeping the speed at 100%) and choosing "Both Fields" as the "type" of timewarp, then choosing an Interlaced source and a Progressive output.  There's also an "Adaptive Deinterlace Source" option available at this point, I believe.  That's going to give you your best looking deinterlacing w/in AVID, I think.  

Theres also the option of just choosing "Duplicate Field" as the type of warp processing, but then you're only getting 1/2 the information.

MC v7.0.3 & v6.5.4.1 / 17" Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz Core i7 w/8GB Ram, 500GB HD/7200rpm / OS 10.8.2 **AVID Editorial since 1991** [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 5 2011 11:55 AM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 983
    • Points 13,005

AC_edit:

I'm not in front of the box at the moment, but there is a way that one can deinterlace material once it's in the timeline by adding a Timewarp to a clip (keeping the speed at 100%) and choosing "Both Fields" as the "type" of timewarp, then choosing an Interlaced source and a Progressive output.  There's also an "Adaptive Deinterlace Source" option available at this point, I believe.  That's going to give you your best looking deinterlacing w/in AVID, I think.  

Theres also the option of just choosing "Duplicate Field" as the type of warp processing, but then you're only getting 1/2 the information.

Man this stuff is so confusing to me. All the time warp types of speed changes seem to be geared towards interlaced sources. I assume that when you use progressive sources (which I'm sure is 90% of broadcast material these days), the speed change types behave differently? Are the avid engineers aware of these types of changes in our industry or do we need to let them know that interlaced sources are a dying breed?

Any way, back on topic: I like the sound of the 'Adaptive Deinterlace Source' you speak of. Is this a filter and where would I find it? I find the word 'duplicate field' very confusing especially when my objective is to remove the field. Duplicating a field just sounds like a bad idea for anything....and when you say it loses half the information...doesn't that apply to any sort of de-interlacing? 

Are there easier ways to do this with plugins? 

I am a member of The AMA...which stands for the Artist Mix Alliance..I am the only member [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 5 2011 8:29 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 983
    • Points 13,005

Oh

• Fri, Aug 5 2011 8:40 PM In reply to

Yes, setting interlaced versus progressive in the motion fx editor DOES matter as to how the footage is treated. Not sure what you want Avid to change. There are I and P projects. And the Motion Effects editor allows you to handle both.

If you choose Blended Interpolated or FluidMotion, both original fields will be blended or morphed into a single progressive frame. 'Duplicated' will discard each second field.

I've used SpeedRamp in the past for adaptive deinterlacing, but that was before Avid's current Motion Effects Editor came into being.
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | Decklink Studio |... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 5 2011 8:57 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Buffalo, New York, USA
    • Posts 919
    • Points 11,615
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

There is also the workflow of keeping everything in your timeline interlaced but making QuickTimes out of the software deinterlaces.  (May have nothing to do with this thread, but wanted to list in - just in case.)

Export/Options/QuickTime Movie/Custom (not same as source) - then click Format Options and then Size.  This gives you the option to "Deinterlace Source Video".  It does nothing to the media or the stuff in the Avid software, but gives you a nice progressive QuickTime.  (Takes a loooooooong time.  But worth it.)

I have 7 Avids. All of them run on systems approved by Avid. Yeah... that's a lie ;) [view my complete system specs]

"Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart."

Pixel Monkey  |  Chris Bové  Editor (website)  |  Vice Chair, Avid CAC 

Twitter: @heybove   Skype: "alwaysediting"

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller