Latest post Mon, Nov 10 2014 10:38 AM by A. Krasnicki. 44 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 23 2012 6:18 PM In reply to

• TaT
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 44
    • Points 565

Re: 18 months and the same problem !!!!!!

Job

First, I use MC 5.04.2 and don't want to upgrade right now..

Second, I have ENGLISH OSX 10.6.6 and when I switch to Polish Pro keyboard layout I can input texts with polish characters in system TextEdit with RIGHTOPTION + CHR (eg. RightOption+A = Ą) with many fonts without ANY PROBLEM!!!!

Third, in Avid --- in title tool ONLY Lucida Grande CE font works, in Marquee RIGHTOPTION+CHR for ALL fonts doesn't works (you have to copy/paste text from TextEdit...), in AvidFX 5.8.2.1516 this input method WORKS!!! (but it isn't realtime - you have to render...)

Interesting in SubCap effect - Caption Text field, this input method DOESN'T WORKS!!! but... in Edit Master Caption List --- input with RIGHTOPTION+CHR WORKS!!! (because you write text with SYSTEM FONT here...)

and finally...

This bug isn't OSX system related because I WANT to work with Avid subtitle/text creation modules like in OSX SYSTEM TextEdit application... WHY IT ISN'T POSSIBLE???

Mac Pro (Late 2013) 6 Core 3.5GHz, Avid MC 2018.12.3, 64GB RAM, D500, OS 10.13.6 *** PC X99 mobo 6 Core 4.2GHz, Avid MC 2018.12.3, 64GB RAM, GTX 970... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 27 2012 12:04 PM In reply to

• TaT
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 44
    • Points 565

Dear Marianna

Your answer is exactly what I wrote about... sadly...

Yesterday, I read official e-mail answer from Avid Support where quite high project manager person says that they DON'T PLAN TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM IN THE FUTURE!!! So... what now??? I have to pay for upgrade to higher version - where problem is still present right now, but MAYBE BE SOLVED!!! Or switch to MC 5.0.4 PC version... hmm... what about my 8 core Apple MacPro???

But I try PC MC 6.0.1 demo and it works ONLY with stupid ~(tilda)+CHR input method in Marquee and new TitleTool app and... ta..daaa... AvidFX 6.0.2!!!... Yes - to be precise - Avid "engineers" made the app unification and BROKE RIGHTALT(OPTION)+CHR input method even in new AvidFX... ughhhhhh.... and Settings/Interface/Use Classic Character Mapping switch doesn't do anything...

So dear Marianna please ask Avid "engineers" three simple questions:

1. "Why Avid can't handle input of foreign (i.e. polish) characters in fonts OSX (WINDOWS) SYSTEM way?"

2. "Why some years ago (in Avid MC 1000 on my Apple Quadra 900) everything worked fine in Title Tool?"

3. "Who broke it...?"

and please tell him that I paid for FULLY FUNCTIONAL (not in BETA stage) features like subtitles, lower-thirds and end-credits creation, too...

TaT

PS. stupid ~(tilda)+CHR input method DOESN'T WORKS in Mac version MC 5.0.4.2...Sad

Mac Pro (Late 2013) 6 Core 3.5GHz, Avid MC 2018.12.3, 64GB RAM, D500, OS 10.13.6 *** PC X99 mobo 6 Core 4.2GHz, Avid MC 2018.12.3, 64GB RAM, GTX 970... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 27 2012 2:29 PM In reply to

Marianna:

What engineering did in 5.5.3.2 ( so if you have 5.5 and are using Polish fonts then you should uprgade to 5.5.3.2) is allow you to use the forcefont console command to let you pick any font you want, but those fonts wont have the complete character set so use at your own peril.

TaT,

Have you tried the "forcefont" console command?

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Mon, Feb 27 2012 2:37 PM In reply to

BMF, apparently, that feature was introduced in 5.5.3.2 and Tat is on 5.0.4., without the desire to upgrade.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 27 2012 2:50 PM In reply to

• TaT
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 44
    • Points 565

BMF

Of course not because I have 5.0.4.2 right now and I don't want to spent extra money for beta/developer, NOT FULLY FUNCTIONAL solution as I read... The console command fixes display font only side of problem leaving input method untouched... Correct me if I'm wrong... I will upgrade if they fix it!!!

• Mon, Feb 27 2012 7:35 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,284
    • Points 219,185
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Tat,

There is a new verion 5.0.4.3 coming this week and one of the bugs is.......

UDevC00159842. Occasionally, Marquee crashed when modifying a title in a sequence.

I tried to email you the readme but the email address tied to your account came back an undeliverable.  Can you email me at marianna.montague@avid.com and I can respond abck with the readme.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Mar 20 2012 5:08 PM In reply to

• JEDRZEJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 9 2006
    • POLAND
    • Posts 35
    • Points 425

SSooo We do not have time to search for bugs in the software Avid MC.
    We have to deal with the work to earn money for a living.
    Microsoft has hired new developers to create Windows 7
    Previous were probably too stupid. Is Avid can do the same?
    Avid Media Composer 6,0,1 = Windows Vista
    Apple gave the market FINAL CUT X for $ 300 after
    listening to customers, and in version 10.0.3 running almost everything! Free trials for 30 days.

• Tue, Mar 12 2013 9:51 AM In reply to

• René Schmal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 3 2010
    • Germany
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Hi,

I Have to write some polish titles right now in MC 6.5.2 on iMac, new year, same problem. It is still only possible to make polish titles in Lucide Grande, but unfortunatly the director did not like these font. The forcefont console command did not changed anythig.

I'm not a programmer, so I did not understand why in a little and simple programm like TextEdit things are no problem and in title tool they are not possible.

What program polish editors use?

René (to write this in TitleTool is no problem)

Media Composer 6.5.2, iMac27" 3.4 GHz i7, OSX 10.8.2, 32GB RAM, LaCie BigDisk5 10TB Thunderbolt, AJA T-Tap Media Composer 5.0.3, Mojo SDI, HP xw4600... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 12 2013 11:23 AM In reply to

I'm waiting with upgrading from 5.5 to 6.5 until Avid fixes that. I'm not giving any more money to Avid. Why should I pay even a cent for a broken software...

• Tue, Mar 12 2013 3:04 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,284
    • Points 219,185
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

OK...

The fix for the CE font issue was implemented over a year ago. The issue here I believe is that if you are using a Polish keyboard and you don’t use a “CE” font you may wind up with certain characters not working properly.  We implemented this console command that will let you choose non-CE fonts, but at the risk of character mapping issues.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Mar 12 2013 3:59 PM In reply to

• janusz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Paris
    • Posts 394
    • Points 4,570

I've been looking into this issue a little as I was affected by it.

First of all: there is a workaround (briefly exposed by TaT previously) - works for me on 5.5.3.6 but probably on earlier versions too:

i) Put your text in TextEdit (switching it to Text mode Cmd+Shift+T id need be) and do a Cmd+A, Cmd+C to copy it to the clipboard.

ii) Open *Marquee* and paste it in.  You can edit it but not enter Polish (or other non-western european languages)

iii) Save to a bin and bingo.  All is well

For Subcap, you need to enter the text in "Edit Master Caption list" and change the font to a font which contains the necessary characters (Tuffy doesn't have the a ogonek for example).  This is the case for all accented characters (not just central european)

As for the Title Tool, it doesn't work.  The console command doesn't help - it allows you to select the right font but you can neither enter or copy/paste Polish text in (the UTF-8 is not interpreted and you have multiple glyphs that appear for the copied text)

I did a little investigation... seeing as official answers are a little slow to come (apart from the assiduous work of Marianna of course) - the post dates 2011...

Opening the bin with a hex editor (here we go...!) and playing around a bit, it turns out that all text is stored as MacRoman (see the page here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_Roman which shows the available characters).  Which explains why you can't copy/paste as these happen in UTF-8.   It would appear that the whole Title Tool functions in MacRoman (hence the language limitations) - I suspect legacy code from long ago (the first Avids functionned on Mac, and the PCs had a intermediate library to reuse some of the Mac code from what I gather).  As the bins are crossplatform, text is also encoded in MacRoman on a PC (so subject to the same limitations).  There is KB article here:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Troubleshooting/en237983?retURL=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2Fen_US%2FTroubleshooting%2Fen237983&popup=true

listing the limitations.  There is a legacy font that remaps certain characters for central europe - but this is a legacy font...  The above KB link also (rather unhelpfully....) suggests the "workaround" of using Photoshop..... :)

For those that are not familiar with the terminology, text is encoded in a variety of "encodings" - this is the correspondance between a character code and the character itself.  Before OS X, text had a script(=encoding) associated which specifies how the 8-bit character code is interpreted.  All this pretty much disappeared with Mac OS X and its support for UTF-8 which allows all characters to be represented, but one character is not necessarily represented by just one byte (as was the case up until that point).  Code needs to be written a little differently to handle UTF-8 (notably because 1-byte is not always 1 character) - and this probably hasn't been done for the Title Tool.  I suspect this is the reason it is taking so long to fix, because it is probably not just a coding slip but rather a fair bit of code that needs to be rewritten/reworked - though this frankly does not excuse - UTF-8 has been widely supported for while now (almost 15 years!!) - and has had full OS support since Windows XP and Mac OS X.... (but Title is close in the list to Timewarp.... hmmm...)

There are a number of related issues in Locator text as well (only MacRoman) and problems with copying and pasting...

Janusz

MC 2018.12 / OS 10.12.6 + others elsewhere [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 3 2014 12:23 PM In reply to

• sadanaraz
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Hello friends,

We, Avid editors from Turkey have the same problem; Turkish spesific characters with Title Tool.

And we are looking for an immediate solution. We can not using Title Tool now, and dont know what to do.

Şadan Araz

• Mon, Mar 3 2014 1:42 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,284
    • Points 219,185
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Looks to be resolved in 7.0.4 which should be out soon.  Not sure when but March is the target.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Nov 10 2014 10:32 AM In reply to

8.2 is out and the problem still exists :(

• Mon, Nov 10 2014 10:38 AM In reply to

Durczynskii:

8.2 is out and the problem still exists :(

Second that ;(

And the new titeler plugin/software doesn't show polish diactirics as well.

Page 3 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller