Latest post Sat, Sep 14 2013 10:23 AM by Mediagix. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 14 2011 11:34 AM

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

MAC to PC keyboard switch over? Advice please.

So I'd like to start practicing for operation on a PC based MC. Problem is, I only have access to a Mac with MC. In an ideal world, I'd like to be able to replace the cmnd key with the ctrl key. Is there anything I can do? I have a few PC keyboards around if that will help? I'd like to avoid running windows on my MAC as I've had trouble with it before.

Any sugestions would be very much appreciated.

• Thu, Jul 14 2011 4:39 PM In reply to

• MrBill
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Jackson, MS
    • Posts 49
    • Points 555

Re: MAC to PC keyboard switch over? Advice please.

I use my PC keyboard on my MAC- no big problems--you can always by the avid labels and just lable them :)

12 Core MacPro Running Avid, Davinci & Adobe CC with Black-magic HD card. 6 gig GFX card. [view my complete system specs]

MrBill Loft54.com

• Thu, Jul 14 2011 4:46 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

MrBill:

I use my PC keyboard on my MAC- no big problems--you can always by the avid labels and just lable them :)

Well I actually have an Avid PC keyboard. But will the CTRL key on the PC keyboard funtion as the CMND key?

• Thu, Jul 14 2011 6:16 PM In reply to

• curiosity
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boulder, CO
    • Posts 832
    • Points 10,505

Nnata:
    Well I actually have an Avid PC keyboard. But will the CTRL key on the PC keyboard funtion as the CMND key?

Yes but the key is in a different place (so if you are used to hitting the Cmd key as the-key-next-to-the-spacebar you'll be annoyed) However, you can swap them around on Windows with something like this: http://www.autohotkey.com/

i7-5820(x99), 64GB, Win 8.1, GTX 1080ti [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 14 2013 10:23 AM In reply to

• Mediagix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • Posts 91
    • Points 1,115

curiosity:

Yes but the key is in a different place

Did I understand this correctly?

If I bring my PC AVID Keyboard and hook it to a MAC, it will work here the same as it did on my PC?

IOW the CTRL / CMD key will be located on the far left / right, as opposed to next to the spacebar?

I'm asking because I have to edit on a mac atm and the cmd / CTRL key location next to the spacebar

is an offence to my muscle memory. If I understand this post correctly, all I have to do is use my avid

pc keyboard from my own machine to to avoid this awkwardness?

about.me/c.g.fell

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller