Latest post Wed, Jul 13 2011 1:04 PM by Pat Horridge. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 7 2011 1:36 PM

• Jay Ryde
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 7 2011
    • LONDON
    • Posts 5
    • Points 95

Which is the better Platform: Mac or PC?

Im trying out MC for the first time.. Im from a Final Cut background. Im interested to know which is the better (future proofed/Most flexible in compatibility etc) for Media Composer.

your experience would be much appreciated.

thanks.

MacPro (1,1) QuadCore2.66, 16GB RAM. 4xInt.7.2k 750Gb HDD, ATI Radeon HD 5770, 23"Cinema MacBook Pro, 2.66 i7, 8GB RAM, External G-TECH FW800 1TB... [view my complete system specs]

J.

• Thu, Jul 7 2011 1:50 PM In reply to

Re: Which is the better Platform: Mac or PC?

Most users, including me, will say it runs equally well on either platform base. And considering that you're coming from FCP and already have a Mac, as long as it meets the system requirements and conforms to the version matrix, you should be good to go.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jul 7 2011 2:09 PM In reply to

You are probably going to get a lot of mixed answers. I'm pretty sure that each platform offers its own advantages. I use both. Both work very well for MC. A thing to consider is what type of other applications you use, and for which platform they are available. Also, your MC software and the license or dongle work on both platforms.
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | Decklink Studio |... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 7 2011 2:49 PM In reply to

• Edit225
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 45
    • Points 595

If you stay Mac, you can still have FCP and Avid on the same machine. 

2011 iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Media Composer 7.0.2 w/Symphony [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 7 2011 2:56 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 924
    • Points 11,330

These guys are right.  Having said that, my personal preference is Mac. No, I'm by no means an Apple fanboy. The only thing I really like about Apple is their OS. With the recent FCPX controversy, I have the funny feeling I may not be too happy with "Lion" when it's released.  But for now, it's "Snow Leopard" for me. 

I got a free Windows 7 machine a few months ago that I never took out of the box.  The other day, I decided to install the trial version of DS on it.  It wasn't easy, compared to installing an application on a Mac.

I'm eagerly anticipating delving into DS, though. But since my daughter's getting married on Saturday, I won't be in the office to try it out 'til Tuesday.

Bottom line - if you already have a Mac, you might as well stick with it.

Good Luck!

I have 10 Avid systems, DX, Meridian and DNA. 1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Thu, Jul 7 2011 3:48 PM In reply to

• jakeheat
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • London
    • Posts 448
    • Points 5,280

Having used both, I'd say that the PC runs slight smoother but its negligible. Nevertheless I've never been able to get my head around the architecture Windows - and it keeps on changing! So for my 2 pence I'd say Mac all the way.
    Media Composer 6.0.0 2x MacPro 3.33Ghz 6 core - 8 GB RAM MacPro 2.26Ghz 8 core - 10 GB RAM Matrox MX02 After Effects, [view my complete system specs]

@jaketheeditor 

• Thu, Jul 7 2011 4:02 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,189
    • Points 15,495

jakeheat:
    Nevertheless I've never been able to get my head around the architecture Windows - and it keeps on changing!

I too have used both extensively, and I think it runs very slightly better on the PC. However, I am currently running on a Mac too so I can have FCP installed on the same machine. It runs like butter no matter what machine you're on, really.

One question for jakeheat, do you really think Windows keeps changing at a faster pace than OS X?

Chris

MacPro 2.66Ghz 8 Core (Nehalem, MacPro 4,1), 24Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 285, Intensity Pro, Tiger 10.7.4, MC 6.0.1.1, QT 7.6.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 7 2011 4:32 PM In reply to

• Jay Ryde
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 7 2011
    • LONDON
    • Posts 5
    • Points 95

Thanks for the replies.. keep them coming Im interested to hear all.. Im looking at MC as I wish to expand flexibility in my editing as I work on a freelance basis. However, when Im not called into a Studio i'm pretty much left to my own equipment and often have to produce DVD material, and more recently BluRay's.. so it would seem PC's win here, though of course that isn't a deciding factor. It's Stability, ease of editing and compatibility for outboard gear, and employers demand, would to me seem future proofing and therefore justifiable to make a switch. 

In contrast FCP is cheap as I can use Motion and have a streamlined workflow (its also extremely cheap). However Im in a dilemma with all this.. Im being asked on occasions to use AVID but I want to keep the streamlined workflow, and don't want to layout on expensive graphics apps to replace Motion just to get AVID integration. What have others done that have moved from FCP? (not that Im moving.. just yet!!)

MacPro (1,1) QuadCore2.66, 16GB RAM. 4xInt.7.2k 750Gb HDD, ATI Radeon HD 5770, 23"Cinema MacBook Pro, 2.66 i7, 8GB RAM, External G-TECH FW800 1TB... [view my complete system specs]

J.

• Thu, Jul 7 2011 6:10 PM In reply to

• jakeheat
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • London
    • Posts 448
    • Points 5,280

conleec:

jakeheat:
    Nevertheless I've never been able to get my head around the architecture Windows - and it keeps on changing!

I too have used both extensively, and I think it runs very slightly better on the PC. However, I am currently running on a Mac too so I can have FCP installed on the same machine. It runs like butter no matter what machine you're on, really.

One question for jakeheat, do you really think Windows keeps changing at a faster pace than OS X?

Chris

It has to because microsoft only sell software. So if they don't mess about with Windows on a regular basis they can't make money from it. The incrimental improvements don't make too much difference too me, the Mac is an absolute pleasure to work on and its this that tips the balance in Apple's favour.
    Media Composer 6.0.0 2x MacPro 3.33Ghz 6 core - 8 GB RAM MacPro 2.26Ghz 8 core - 10 GB RAM Matrox MX02 After Effects, [view my complete system specs]

@jaketheeditor 

• Thu, Jul 7 2011 7:23 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,152
    • Points 15,775

Don't forget a Mac can be booted into Windows OS

• Thu, Jul 7 2011 9:23 PM In reply to

• konx
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 13 2010
    • Zurich
    • Posts 10
    • Points 130

i would not recommend that... could cause troubles, i had to experience. if you wan't to do so i'll recommend to install mac os on two separate volumes: one for finalcut, one for avid.

• Thu, Jul 7 2011 10:21 PM In reply to

If I already had two computers, one Mac and one PC, I'd install MC on the PC. Not because the PC is better, but to keep the apps on separate machines.

This is because MC and FCP can sometimes get out sync as to their recommended versions of Mac OS, Quicktime, etc. Using a separate computer for each app will let you keep each system up to date for its specific requirements. But that's a luxury that I'd only take advantage of if I already had two machines.

That said, I think you can run FCP and MC fine on the same Mac as long as you respect the MC requirements. I I've even heard of people dual booting their Macs to essentially do separate MC and FCP installs, as knox has suggested above.

The larger answer to your ? is that MC works essentially equally well on both platforms, and that Avid is fully committed to both platforms. Avid actually has a policy to always release MC features for both Mac and PC at the same time, so one is never at a disadvantage to the other.

MC 6.0.5, AvidFX 6.4, BCC 8.2, Squeeze 8.1, QT 7.7.3, Nvidia driver 310.90, Window 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, IE9. Quadro 2000 and 600 videocards (three... [view my complete system specs]

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Thu, Jul 7 2011 10:22 PM In reply to

Avid used to be Mac only and then (as it seemed to me) after countless Apple hardware releases and the lack of expansion slots and the need to move to expansion chassis Avid went PC and Mac. Then announced they would drop Mac support.

Hugh outcry and Avid relented and continued to offer both platforms but the Mac version always seemed to have more issues and do less than the PC version. Less real time, less of something or other. And more expensive crates.

However that gap has closed over the last few years and there's less in it. Easier to get GPU support on the PC with the Avid supported cards and that can be more complex on the Mac side.

It really comes down to the otehr apps you need (Sonic DVD is really neat as a send to on the MC. that alone swings it for me. Add a Blu-ray player as supported by windows and less supported by Apple and you get Blu-ray discs in one step from your MC timeline)

I really like Windows 7 having used it from very early on and now find the Mac OS limiting in some of what i need to do. But that's from a techy angle from a user angle it's much of a much.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Multiple systems: Symphony V7.0.3 & Resolve Plus FCP... [view my complete system specs]

Pat Horridge
    Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor, ACSR, Apple Certified Support Professional 10.6

Avid MC V7 Background Transcode Demo  Avid MC V7 DMF Demo

VET      Production    Editing     Digital Media    Blu-ray    DVD
    T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
    www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square  London N1 6US

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jul 7 2011 10:36 PM In reply to

"... It wasn't easy, compared to installing an application on a Mac ..."

How so?

Symphony 7.0 w/Matrox MXO2 Rack, HP xw8600, Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, QT v7.7.x, 2xQC 3.0GHz, 8GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series FX 1800 & nVidia v275... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ Discovery Studios West
    (wwld)

• Fri, Jul 8 2011 1:05 AM In reply to

I use both all the time.  I think the PC version is slightly faster and certainly feels more stable.  But the two flavors are so close I think its mostly perception.  I personally prefer the mac version because the keyboard shortcuts make more sense to me.  That *** windows key, even when reconfigured, just seems like its in the wrong place.

McG

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller