Latest post Thu, Nov 15 2018 5:21 AM by hbrock. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 28 2011 1:53 PM

• dmassachi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 21
    • Points 245

add custom metadata to bin of existing master clips

We have 100+ avid bins that I want to add metadata to.  We've found that our DPX column is filled with incorrect metadata, and we have a way of creating an excel document with all the right DPX numbers, but how can I merge the Excel info with the pre-existing master clips in these bins?

Here's a theory that I haven't quite got to work yet:

- export a bin as an ALE file
    - open the ALE in Excel
    - create a new column in Excel called "New DPX" and fill it with correct DPX numbers for each clip
    - Save excel doc as tab delimited .txt file
    - covert that .txt to .ale using Avid Log Exchange
    - set avid shot log import settings to "merge with existing master clips"
    - select the master clips in the bin and import the new ALE

That's the theory.  When I try to convert the txt file in Avid Log Exchange, I get an empty ALE and a msg that says "cannot clean file".  So that's where the process breaks down.

Any ideas about this process I laid out, or a better way of getting this metadata into these master clips?

My system:

Mac OS X 10.6.3

QuickTime Pro 7.6.6

Avid Media Composer 5.0.3.8

Nitris DX

ISIS Shared storage

Excel 2004

• Tue, Jun 28 2011 11:09 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,510
    • Points 63,895
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: add custom metadata to bin of existing master clips

You're on the right path.  The catch is that the ALE header doesn't have tab delimited stops while the rest of the document does.  Until Michael Phillips chimes in try this:

1.  Strip off the header in the Excel file.  Start with Column Headings on the first row, data on the next rows, tab delimited.  Any custom fields can be named on the first row as column headings.

2.  If necessary, add a ALE header to the tab delimited text file from above.  That should work with Avid Log Exchange and/or directly importing into Media Composer.

Best I can do based on a bad memory and a few years between ALEs.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sat, Nov 10 2018 6:30 PM In reply to

In Excel it also has a drop-down menu that asks if you want to have a tab delimited file. You can just change the header and it should be readable then by Media Composer.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel(R)Core(TM) i5 3210M CPU @2.5 GHz, 12 GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 15 2018 5:21 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,510
    • Points 63,895
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

You need the data lines to be tab delimited but not the header lines.  Best way I found was to steal the header from a working ALE, drop that into any text editor and then past in the tab delimited Excel file under the header.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller