Latest post Tue, Jun 21 2011 9:05 PM by drbgaijin. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 20 2011 3:22 PM

• Field Hudnall
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Port Clinton, Ohio
    • Posts 209
    • Points 3,175

Changing clip colors in Time Line

I was curious if there was a way to change the clip colors in the time line?  I know that I can change prefrence colors of the entire timeline but I would love to change individual clips to a different color to represent a second camera or to refrence the clip to somthing I need to keep track of.  I have used locators in the past but when you have a ton of edits and clips on the timeline the locators tend to get lost. LOL  

Thanks!!! 

Hewlett Packard 4-core (2 dual core Processors) HP XW8400 Quad Core (4-core) Workstation 3.0GHZ Dual Core Processors 4GB RAM (C:) System Drive 141GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 20 2011 3:33 PM In reply to

Re: Changing clip colors in Time Line

Yes. Select a clip in a bin and go to Edit>Set Clip Color, then choose the color you want. Now, go to the fast (hamburger) menu in the timeline window, go to "clip color" and select source.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jun 20 2011 6:10 PM In reply to

• Field Hudnall
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Port Clinton, Ohio
    • Posts 209
    • Points 3,175

Great!!!  Unfortunatly I think I have to wait till I upgrade to 5.5. I am still on v.3.1.2.  When I go to [edit] I see set bin background color but nothing for clip color.  I receiving my upgrade in a couple days.  Looking forward to some new features!!! 

Thanks!!!

Hewlett Packard 4-core (2 dual core Processors) HP XW8400 Quad Core (4-core) Workstation 3.0GHZ Dual Core Processors 4GB RAM (C:) System Drive 141GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 20 2011 6:28 PM In reply to

Field Hudnall:
    When I go to [edit] I see set bin background color but nothing for clip color. 

You must first select a clip (or a group of clips) in the bin, THEN go to the edit menu to see "set clip color..."  Have you done that?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jun 20 2011 6:50 PM In reply to

• Field Hudnall
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Port Clinton, Ohio
    • Posts 209
    • Points 3,175

Yes.  I tried selecting the clip and multiple clips in the bin.  I can select the clips in the timeline then go to the hamburger menu and I see the clip color that offers source, local, etc.  I do not see clip color anywhere in the edit menu when I select one or multiple clips in the bin.   Could it be that it is not a feature in my later version of MC? 

• Mon, Jun 20 2011 7:11 PM In reply to

Field Hudnall:
    I do not see clip color anywhere in the edit menu when I select one or multiple clips in the bin.

I know it's there in Version 4, (set clip color in the main edit menu) because that's what I'm working on at TPC. Not sure about version 3.1.2, however.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jun 20 2011 7:44 PM In reply to

Edit>Set Clip Color has been there for a very long time.

If you select the clip in the Timeline and go to the Edit menu, it will show you Set Local Clip Color.  If you want to set the clip colors from the Bin, then you select a clip(s) in the Bin and the menu option changes to Set Clip Color.  

If you're seeing Set Bin Background, then you're not selecting the clips, you're selecting the Bin.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Jun 20 2011 8:55 PM In reply to

• Field Hudnall
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Port Clinton, Ohio
    • Posts 209
    • Points 3,175

Found it!!!!  Whoo hooo!!!!  In my bin I always work in the script view so I can see my clips images.  If you are in script you will not find [Set clip color]. You must be in Brief or Text then go to Edit-Set Clip color.   Thanks everyone....I was about ready to throw in the towel.  LOL

• Mon, Jun 20 2011 9:08 PM In reply to

You're quite welcome, Field. Glad to hear you found it, and good reminder that the bin must be in either brief or text view for this option to be available.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jun 20 2011 9:16 PM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,663
    • Points 83,625

Field Hudnall:
    I am still on v.3.1.2.

Field,

Here is a way to do it in MC 3!
    NB. This does not work in this way anymore (since MC 5.x.x )  when working with clips.

Regards,
    Douglas

System 1:Edius Pro 7.4, AMC 6.5.4, - Windows 7 64 bit Pro SP1 - GeForce GTX 970, 340.52 driver - Quicktime 7.7.5 - 32GB memory, i7 4790K 4GHz CPU - Asus... [view my complete system specs]

Creator of Video Tutorials that mere mortals can understand

douglas@gaijin-eyes.com     Basic MC Tutorials 1   Basic MC Tutorials 2

• Tue, Jun 21 2011 1:26 PM In reply to

• Field Hudnall
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Port Clinton, Ohio
    • Posts 209
    • Points 3,175

Great Video Douglas!!! Thank you very much!!!

• Tue, Jun 21 2011 9:05 PM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,663
    • Points 83,625

Field Hudnall:

Great Video Douglas!!! Thank you very much!!!

Nice to see someone is still using a version of MC that can make use of the tutorial information.

Be prepared for a disappointment the day that you decide to upgrade to 5 or 5.5 Sad

Regards,
    Douglas

System 1:Edius Pro 7.4, AMC 6.5.4, - Windows 7 64 bit Pro SP1 - GeForce GTX 970, 340.52 driver - Quicktime 7.7.5 - 32GB memory, i7 4790K 4GHz CPU - Asus... [view my complete system specs]

Creator of Video Tutorials that mere mortals can understand

douglas@gaijin-eyes.com     Basic MC Tutorials 1   Basic MC Tutorials 2

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller