Latest post Fri, Jun 17 2011 7:18 PM by Larry Rubin. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 17 2011 6:27 PM

• Ken
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 17 2011
    • Dublin, Ireland
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

How can I turn my sequence into a clip? or add effects to clips prior to adding them to the timeline.

Hi,

My question is simple really, i have a clip that i needed to flip and reverse. I done this by adding it to the the timeline then adding the aforementioned effects. However, i need to edit this material and it would be great if i could just make a clip out of the sequence (which has no edit marks, cuts etc) and send it to a bin. Then of course i could edit the footage (with effects) in the regular way. Does anyone know how to do this, or add the flip and reverse effects to the clip while it in the source monitor?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

ken

Not worth mentioning :) But Media Composer 3.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 17 2011 6:33 PM In reply to

Re: How can I turn my sequence into a clip? or add effects to clips prior to adding them to the timeline.

Ken:

Assuming by "reverse" you mean reverse the playback direction, take the source clip you want to reverse motion on and load it in the source monitor. Mark the portion for reversal, then click the slanted frame icon (motion clip) and in the dialog box enter -100% for speed. This will generate a new motion controlled clip which will load in the source monitor and appear in the bin. Edit that clip into your timeline and add a flip effect to it.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jun 17 2011 6:34 PM In reply to

Re: How can I turn my sequence into a clip? or add effects to clips prior to adding them to the timeline.

Hi Ken,

what you can do is place the clip in the timeline, apply the flip, then grab the flip Icon from the effect editor, hold alt/opt, and drag it into a bin. This will create a template that will say "With SRC" meaning with the source footage included.

You can then take that template and open it in the source monitor, just as if it was a regular clip, mark ins and outs, and edit to the timeline. any instance of that clip will have the applied effect.

Yossy

Yossy Tessone,

ACI, Avid Certified Instructor

• Fri, Jun 17 2011 6:46 PM In reply to

• Ken
    • Not Ranked
    • Dublin, Ireland
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

That worked perfectly thanks yossy, exactly what i was looking for. Just out of curiousity.. do you know if you could create a sequence (with edit points) then send it to a bin as a clip?

• Fri, Jun 17 2011 7:02 PM In reply to

Cool!

well, you could create sub-sequences: just mark in/outs in the sequence, and then from the composer record monitor (next to the sequence name) drag the sequece icon into a bin. Then to open them, drag and drop from the bin into the source monitor, and edit from there into a new sequence.

Hope this helps,

Yossy Tessone,

ACI, Avid Certified Instructor

• Fri, Jun 17 2011 7:12 PM In reply to

• Ken
    • Not Ranked
    • Dublin, Ireland
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

hmmm, when i add the flipped clip into the timeline, i can't seem to edit further speed effects on it..

• Fri, Jun 17 2011 7:18 PM In reply to

• Ken
    • Not Ranked
    • Dublin, Ireland
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

Excellent, a very handy way of doing it. Thanks :)

Yossy Tessone:

Cool!

well, you could create sub-sequences: just mark in/outs in the sequence, and then from the composer record monitor (next to the sequence name) drag the sequece icon into a bin. Then to open them, drag and drop from the bin into the source monitor, and edit from there into a new sequence.

Hope this helps,

• Fri, Jun 17 2011 7:18 PM In reply to

Ken :

hmmm, when i add the flipped clip into the timeline, i can't seem to edit further speed effects on it..

You need to use the arrow keys in the left side of the timeline toolbar to "step into" the flip effect to get to the speed effect clip underneath. This is called nesting.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller