Latest post Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:00 AM by Adman. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 9 2011 1:46 AM

I need help. I need to know if I should buy this or not with the computer I have.

I have been in a video editing class for two years now. The only program we have worked with is Adobe Premier. I hate that it has NO effects, transitions, or anything else for that matter. I love to learn software, especially video editing. I am looking to go to college for it as soon as I figure out financial aid.

Anyway, I am in need of help as to weather or not to buy Media Composer.

I have a PC. Windows 7 Home Edition. It's a Dell Inspiron 5455. Processor: Pentium(R) Dual Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2.60GHz

4gb of RAM, 64 bit. Thats all I know.

I need to know if I need to upgrade anything, if it will even run!

My friend who has a much better computer than I says the trial doesn't work on her computer. I am really worried about it. Should I just forget it and look into another program?

I don't know. Anything I need to know, tell me. Haha! I'm just really confused and on the fence about it. 

• Thu, Jun 9 2011 2:10 AM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,335
    • Points 60,245
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: I need help. I need to know if I should buy this or not with the computer I have.

Home is not supported and neither is 64 bit (edit > Native). You should also have an Nvidia video card.

Here is the compatibility page, fwiw:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Media-Composer/system-requirements

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC Ultimate 2018.10.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 9 2011 2:10 AM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Re: I need help. I need to know if I should buy this or not with the computer I have.

YOur system does not really meet the specs needed to run MC, but the best way to find out if it is possible is to download the 30 day free trial and see if it will work on your system.  An example of some of the things not up to snuff on your system is the OS for one as Windows 7 Professional is the only qualified OS for MC.  The other thing you probably do not have on that system is a Quadro FX video card and the Quadro line of cards are the only ones qualified to run MC with.  Many people do run MC with non qualified systems though so as I said downloading the free trial and giving it a go to see if it will run on your system is your best bet and it is free. :-)  

MC is an excellent NLE and you will no doubt love it so you may think about getting a system that will run it down the road...

Best of luck to you!

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 9 2011 2:12 AM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Adman:
    Home is not supported and neither is 64 bit

Home is not supported, but 64 Bit Win 7 "Professional" is supported.

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:00 AM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,335
    • Points 60,245
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Thanks for correcting me... I meant to say 64 bit native.

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC Ultimate 2018.10.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller