Latest post Fri, May 27 2011 2:26 PM by Mark Spano. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 26 2011 3:56 PM

• Don Stroud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 26 2011
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

How to convert 50i timeline to 59.94i?

Hi, we've got a situation where a client gave us a couple of 50i tapes that we need to use in a 59.94i project. The tech at the place where we rented the deck said that the deck itself can't do to 50-to-59.94 conversion, so his suggestion was to make a separate project at 50i, bring in the tapes, and then convert the media inside the Avid MC.

The question is: does anyone out there know how to do that? We're not that tech savvy here. (Our lead editor is on vacation, wouldn't you know it.)

Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Don

• Thu, May 26 2011 5:10 PM In reply to

Re: How to convert 50i timeline to 59.94i?

As long as you are on MC v4 or later, you can just open the 50i bin in a 59i project. The Avid will automatically add a motion adapter to the 50i shots, and you can incorporate them into your sequence and play them back in real-time.

In essence, a blended-interpolated motion effect will be applied. It's not the same as running it through a Teranex, of course.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 26 2011 5:47 PM In reply to

• Don Stroud
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Job ter Burg:

As long as you are on MC v4 or later, you can just open the 50i bin in a 59i project. The Avid will automatically add a motion adapter to the 50i shots, and you can incorporate them into your sequence and play them back in real-time.

In essence, a blended-interpolated motion effect will be applied. It's not the same as running it through a Teranex, of course.

Job,

Okay, that makes sense. But then what about laying the resulting blended timeline out to tape? Will that cause an issue? We've run into "this timeline has multiple frame rate" errors/issues when doing something like this before.

• Thu, May 26 2011 5:51 PM In reply to

It should work just fine. The Avid applies a motion adapter, and will play out in the project format.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 26 2011 5:52 PM In reply to

• Don Stroud
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Oh, and to make matters worse, I just found out that the MC installed is 3.X. Not even the nice new shiny version...

• Fri, May 27 2011 2:26 PM In reply to

A few questions:

What deck did you rent?

What kind of tape is it?

If it is a SRW-5500 and an HDCAM-SR tape, you might be able to have the 50i playback at 59.94 speed (HDCAM will play with muted audio).

Mac OS X 10.9.5, MC/Symphony v8.4.2, Nitris DX, AJA ioExpress Sony HDCAM-SR SRW-5500 Panasonic AJ-3700HD D5 etc. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller